Turn on thread page Beta

Is the UK the world's most ethnically diverse and multicultural country in the world? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1.9.8.4.)
    Well, MP's represent their entire constituency, so their views would ideally reflect the general mood of the entire constituency, rather than a certain section of that constituency.

Even so, we live in a strong democracy with a free market economy. If intolerance was the order of the day, you can be assured that MPs would pick up on it very fast to secure their post, and the media would change their tune to one that is more in line with the general public. Politicians and the media are generally very tolerant because its in their interest to be tolerant, because Britain is fairly tolerant.
    the BNP and the Daily Mail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniOfLife)
    the BNP and the Daily Mail.
    What's that suppose to mean?

ReputationRep:
    What's that suppose to mean?
    One is a political body that is appealing to the intolerant, the other is a media outlet that is doing the same. You said:

If intolerance was the order of the day, you can be assured that MPs would pick up on it very fast to secure their post, and the media would change their tune to one that is more in line with the general public.
    The BNP and the Daily Mail are examples of those things which you said indicated intolerance.

I never said it was a majority opinion but it is clearly an opinion with a base large enough to have attracted a political organisation and a media outlet.

ReputationRep:
    One is a political body that is appealing to the intolerant, the other is a media outlet that is doing the same. You said:

The BNP and the Daily Mail are examples of those things which you said indicated intolerance.

I never said it was a majority opinion but it is clearly an opinion with a base large enough to have attracted a political organisation and a media outlet.
    I have never said that everyone in Britain is tolerant, so don't twist the stuff I said earlier. I just said that, generally, British society is tolerant, and it's in the interest of politicians and the media to reflect mainstream British views to maximise their success.

The BNP is an extremely marginal political party, and does not have a single MP in parliament and will not have any in the foreseeable future. It's best to ignore it. The Green party will have a couple of MPs in parliament before the BNP even have a chance at getting one of their bigots in there. The Daily Mail, while it has a reputation for being relatively intolerant, I think its harsh to put them on par with the BNP. Having said that, the Daily Mail has locked on to a particular niche in the market and they're playing at the fears of certain people in British society.

ReputationRep:
    I have never said that everyone in Britain is tolerant, so don't twist the stuff I said earlier. I just said that, generally, British society is tolerant, and it's in the interest of politicians and the media to reflect mainstream British views to maximise their success.

The BNP is an extremely marginal political party, and does not have a single MP in parliament and will not have any in the foreseeable future. It's best to ignore it. The Green party will have a couple of MPs in parliament before the BNP even have a chance at getting one of their bigots in there. The Daily Mail, while it has a reputation for being relatively intolerant, I think its harsh to put them on par with the BNP. Having said that, the Daily Mail has locked on to a particular niche in the market and they're playing at the fears of certain people in British society.
    And I never said that there were huge numbers of intolerant people in Britain. I said that the general level of tolerance amongst the population is not as high as the tolerance emitted by the state and the elite.

ReputationRep:
    And I never said that there were huge numbers of intolerant people in Britain. I said that the general level of tolerance amongst the population is not as high as the tolerance emitted by the state and the elite.
    The difference is small.

ReputationRep:
    The difference is small.
    IYO

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.