MaxHSloan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey there. just wondering what calculator is best recommended for A Level maths with mechanics (M1 and M2). I would also like to know when I can actually use these calculators (what exams). Thanks
AlexOD
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As far as I'm aware, the best calculator you're able to use for any maths module is the Casio fx-991ES Plus. No graphic calculators allowed, and no calculators that are capable of symbolic differentiation or integration. I have taken M1 and I know this to be the case for that module, however I'm not 100% certain for M2, although I would be very surprised if they did allow them.
TH3-FL45H
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AlexOD)
As far as I'm aware, the best calculator you're able to use for any maths module is the Casio fx-991ES Plus. No graphic calculators allowed, and no calculators that are capable of symbolic differentiation or integration. I have taken M1 and I know this to be the case for that module, however I'm not 100% certain for M2, although I would be very surprised if they did allow them.
There is also the Casio fx-991EX which may be better
MaxHSloan
Rep:
?
Are you sure you are not allowed a graphics calculator? when i go on the AQA past C2 paper it says you may use a graphics calculator. Or have the rules changed?
Ze Witcher
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No graphic calculators allowed
Da flip, are you certain on that?
MaxHSloan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ze Witcher)
Da flip, are you certain on that?
Yeah take a look

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...P-QP-JUN15.PDF
TH3-FL45H
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What are you going to be doing in the future? Will you need a graphic calculator?

If you wouldn't then I'd say get the Casio fx-991EX (I'd recommend this over the 991ES)
Naruke
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Graphical Calculators are allowed.

notnek

I've tagged an exams officer any questions regarding this should be directed at her.

As for you, AlexOD don't comment on things you're not 100% sure about as you're putting people at an unfair disadvantage.
MaxHSloan
Rep:
?
(Original post by TH3-FL45H)
What are you going to be doing in the future? Will you need a graphic calculator?

If you wouldn't then I'd say get the Casio fx-991EX (I'd recommend this over the 991ES)
Im an electrical engineering apprentice doing a level maths from home in my spare time.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I use a casio fx-CG 20
Bruhh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You won't really use a graphical calculator at all for M1 and M2 but if you're planning on doing core modules or the further pure modules then they're great for checking your integration/differentiation and most importantly drawing graphs.

I have a TI-84 Plus and it does everything I need. If you're planning on getting one I'd look at second hand since they're expensive new - got mine for about £50 on ebay I think.
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Naruke)
Graphical Calculators are allowed.

notnek

I've tagged an exams officer any questions regarding this should be directed at her.

As for you, AlexOD don't comment on things you're not 100% sure about as you're putting people at an unfair disadvantage.
Firstly, I'm male And I'm not currently an Exams Officer but I am aware of the current calculator regulations.

Regarding graphics calculators, some are allowed and some are not.

I've attached a guide which gives a general idea of the calculators allowed for GCSE/A Level.
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.37%
It's just nice to be back! (182)
27.49%
Not great so far... (238)
35.95%
I want to drop out! (127)
19.18%

Watched Threads