Turn on thread page Beta

Do you see yourself marrying your current gf/bf in the future? watch

• View Poll Results: do you see yourself marrying your current bf/gf in the future?
    yes
    64.32%
    no
    35.68%

i would but its so far off in the future, i like the thought though

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to think yes but with us possibly going in opposite directions soon our relationship might fizzle out. Hopefully we could get that far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluent in Lies)
    Wow, only your first date and you think you'll marry them?
    I would say it is clear that that is not what I meant.

ReputationRep:
    I would say I'm 99% sure I won't be, no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    I can't understand how anyone can be with someone and yet not conceive of marrying them. Surely the HOPE is for something long-lasting?
    Because it puts pressure.

ReputationRep:
    I'm supposed to be... but she has refused to speak to me for a week.
    We'll see.

ReputationRep:
    I'd actually love to marry my boyfriend. Obviously I'm not going to tell him this as we're 17 and 18 and it MAY freak him out a little.. and you can't tell what might happen and how we might change when we go to university. That's a bugger because I hate being away from him for too long as he isn't very good at non face-to-face communication.. I suppose the real test will be if we stay together throughout university.

I just know it's really rare to find someone who's like a male version of you and totally gets you and understands everything and how I still get the little butterflies in my stomach every time I see him. Sigh. We shall see.

ReputationRep:
    Well even though I personally dont have any desire to get married, I voted yes because I know that at some point in his life my boyfriend does want to get married.

I also voted yes because hes the only person Id ever marry. He is actually perfect. If id ever written a list of absolutley everything I would ever want in an ideal partner he has all of it, from physical appearance to personality, intellect etc etc. If the worst was to ever happen and we broke up, id never get Married, because id always feel like I was setteling for second best.
    As it stands though after 3 and a half years, still very happy

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do if we're still together after I graduate.(He graduated last year.) We'll have been together for 3 years in October.

We recently spoke about engagement in regards to moving in together as I'm quite traditional and also practical that if things go wrong either him or myself could break off our engagement. I felt a bit weird about talking about it and said "I must be a freak for thinking like this" but luckily he said "well I'm a freak too as I've been thinking about it too!".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iTalya)
    Yes.. we just set a date
    congrats!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by capitalP)
    This is my overly logical brain talking...but if you cant see yourself marrying them, then why are you with them?>
    It is possible to enjoy a happy and fulfilling relationship without wanting it to lead to marriage.

As for the original question, no. We're each other's first experience of a relationship and I know that I won't settle down without having dated other people first. I think he'd happily stay with me for the rest of his life though.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I'm getting married next year. Currently trying to decide between the 18th of July and the 30th of October (don't ask!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angrybanana)
    It is possible to enjoy a happy and fulfilling relationship without wanting it to lead to marriage.
    yes, but that means that you're not 100% committed obviously.

ReputationRep:
    hmm actually yea i could see myself marrying my boyfriend... we've only been together 8 months but he's definately the only boyfriend ive had where we've been able to call eachother best friends as well as boyfriend and girlfriend.. and plus we just go so well together, get on with eachothers friends/family, no real issues apart from petty arguing sometimes.... but of course i wouldnt want to marry him anytime soon, am only 20 after all!

ReputationRep:
    Jesus, 60% voted yes? The population of TSR is either much older than the average student, or just massively deluding themselves as to how decent their relationship is.

Considering that a lot of the people in this thread are girls under the age of 20, I'm thinking it's the latter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by choco6)
    yes, but that means that you're not 100% committed obviously.
    Doesn´t it just mean that you´re committed to that person at that period of time?

You can still be a faithful and committed person in a relationship, accepting that in the future things may change. You want to be with that person for as long as things are comfortable for you both.

ReputationRep:
    We are ridiculously happy and comfortable with each other. Assuming we survive university intact (and I trust we will), I can see I getting married soon after.

But we have only been together for 8 months, so it may be unwise to make assumptions about the future

ReputationRep:
    I can't see myself with anyone other than my bofriend. We've been together for a few years now and have often talked about marriage. So yeah, hopefully we're meant to be.

ReputationRep:
    well i hope so lol. I love my bf to bits and we've been together for 3years. I reckon if we did split up it'd just break my heart. But i suppose after a while you do get kinda fed up with them, it would be nice to meet other folk. But i plan only to marry 1 person hehe.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't be happy marrying anyone else. we have quite literally a perfect relationship.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.