Do I have any chance of being accepted into a good University?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I want to study Economics at Uni, and I'm worrying that my grades won't be good enough to get me into a good one.
    At IGCSE i got 3A* (Physics, Biology, Economics) 4A (Maths, Business Studies, Geography and English) and 1B (Additional Maths). These grades are decent, but my AS results suffered due to me being in a poor mental state during exam season and not being able to give 100%. I got 1A ( business), 1B (Economics) and 2D(Maths, Physics).
    I struggled in physics to begin with, but Maths was a disappointment because I was predicted an A (no A* at AS level) and I let myself down with a D.
    I am retaking AS maths this year along with doing full A2 maths, and continuing Business and Economics at A2, and I am likely to be predicted high grades for these subjects. However, will I not get offers from top unis due to poor AS grades?

ReputationRep:
    If you want to study economics at a ' good ' uni then it's imperative you have the predicted grades that matches the entry requirements of your chosen course. With ABDD grades at AS level it is unlikely your teachers will predict you anything above AAC which may cause issues when it comes to uni'a giving you offers. In your situation it may be best to hold off applying to uni till next year and focus solely on getting the best grades you can and as you said your mental state wasn't great during AS so the added pressure of applying to uni is only likely to make that worse. Another solution would be to apply to your chosen unis and if you don't get offers but ended up with decent grades in the end then you could find somewhere decent via clearing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    If you want to study economics at a ' good ' uni then it's imperative you have the predicted grades that matches the entry requirements of your chosen course. With ABDD grades at AS level it is unlikely your teachers will predict you anything above AAC which may cause issues when it comes to uni'a giving you offers. In your situation it may be best to hold off applying to uni till next year and focus solely on getting the best grades you can and as you said your mental state wasn't great during AS so the added pressure of applying to uni is only likely to make that worse. Another solution would be to apply to your chosen unis and if you don't get offers but ended up with decent grades in the end then you could find somewhere decent via clearing
    The subject I got a D in (Maths), the teacher thinks it's likely I'll get an A this year with the retake, so he's probably gonna predict me an A for maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanOn)
    The subject I got a D in (Maths), the teacher thinks it's likely I'll get an A this year with the retake, so he's probably gonna predict me an A for maths
    Right in which case you should just apply to the unis you wanna go to cause your predicted grade will be decent . Just make sure your personal statement clearly convinces the admissions tutor that you're going to magically jump from a D to an A as most people tend to stay the same or drop a grade at A2 what unis are you considering ? As a Notts student I'm gonna be biased and suggesting applying to Nottingham haha

ReputationRep:
    I've got to bring my maths grade up from a C to an A (only I was predicted a B in as) Also applying for econ. I have similar worries to you but as long as you work hard I wouldn't worry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    Right in which case you should just apply to the unis you wanna go to cause your predicted grade will be decent . Just make sure your personal statement clearly convinces the admissions tutor that you're going to magically jump from a D to an A as most people tend to stay the same or drop a grade at A2 what unis are you considering ? As a Notts student I'm gonna be biased and suggesting applying to Nottingham haha
    Funnily enough I was considering Nottingham as one of my options

ReputationRep:
    Also, I've been reading things on this site about certain Unis rejecting students with less than 8A* at GCSE, how true is this?

ReputationRep:
    Funnily enough I was considering Nottingham as one of my options
    Wise choice Nathan

ReputationRep:
    Also, I've been reading things on this site about certain Unis rejecting students with less than 8A* at GCSE, how true is this?
    Erm unless you're applying to Oxbridge most unis just want C/B grades in English and maths GCSEs !

ReputationRep:
    I've read things about Nottingham.
    Everywhere I applied to gave me an offer and I have **** GCSE's

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.