The Student Room Group

EPQ Question

I've decided to do an EPQ but would really appreciate any ideas anyone has as to the kind of thing I could investigate, I want to go into nuclear engineering and I'm a big feminist so ideas about women in engineering could be good. I'm just struggling to come up other ideas and questions, thank you :smile:
Reply 1
You could look at whether women who read engineering come disproportionately from schools that were single sex from 11-16. Almost all the women I have met who have read engineering did so. 16-18 doesn't seem to matter (much?), but there appears to be something about the gender influences in 11-16 mixed schools that put women off physics and engineering (and possibly men off English Lit etc). If there is a factor, is it declining?
Original post by Compost
You could look at whether women who read engineering come disproportionately from schools that were single sex from 11-16. Almost all the women I have met who have read engineering did so. 16-18 doesn't seem to matter (much?), but there appears to be something about the gender influences in 11-16 mixed schools that put women off physics and engineering (and possibly men off English Lit etc). If there is a factor, is it declining?

Oh that's a good thought thank you! Surpsingly enough I'm from an all girls school and I hadn't thought about educational influences, so thanks :smile:
Reply 3
i read engineering having gone to a girls' school for 11-16, as did the 4 other girls on my course and the 3 girls I did my training with in my first job. I don't know how much research there has been on it, but I think it would be a viable topic.

Quick Reply

Latest