Poor A-level grades for Masters application

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! I'm hoping to apply for a MSc course starting next September. The applications all require 'strong A-level's' and either a 2:1 or a 1st. I'm on course for a first class degree but I have substandard A-level grades (BCD). Does anyone know whether this will dent my chances of an offer? Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBean1994)
    Hi guys! I'm hoping to apply for a MSc course starting next September. The applications all require 'strong A-level's' and either a 2:1 or a 1st. I'm on course for a first class degree but I have substandard A-level grades (BCD). Does anyone know whether this will dent my chances of an offer? Thanks in advance!
    I'd urge you to apply anyway. In my experience, universities are keen to look at your strong points with regards to masters applications (I've had offers for psychology and I have a 2:2). Just be sure to do a strong personal statement stating how you'll be well suited to the course and what enthuses you to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the quality and quantity of the other applicants. If they can fill the course with people who are both on track for a 1st/2:1 and have good A-levels, then it'd likely be a no.

It'll also depend on where you're applying, as with just BCD I can't imagine you're at that highly ranked a university at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Its rare for Unis to specify A levels for a Masters level course. This may be because they want high level skills and in their experience only those with high score A levels have this. The other possibility is that it is just University snobbery - they know that only those with high A level score will have gone to 'top' Unis.

If I were you I'd question the need for these A level grades. What skills are they looking for that you wouldn't have developed via a First class degree in a relevant subject? If you dont get a satisfactory answer from the PhD contact then find that University's Equality and Diversity policy and email the relevant person. Academics who devise these sort of ads can be seriously leant on by the policy makers.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.