Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

From GCSE to A level. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I didn't make the jump at all, and my AS results will show this.

ReputationRep:
    Lol.. . I personally think the bigger jump is from AS to A2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spider)
    I didn't make the jump at all, and my AS results will show this.
    What jump? I found all my AS subjects fine except for biology, but that was because of extremely poor teachers for GCSE and AS. My AS results will show that i am not as clever as i want to be, lol. I'll probably get the grades i want but not the UMS. I get disappointed very easily.

ReputationRep:
    The jump was biggest in Maths, for the first month or so it was sheer hell. But now I think Maths is great Definetly worth the jump.

Actually there was quite a arge jump in History too, I'm not sure whether I was successful...time will tell...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus)
    The jump was biggest in Maths, for the first month or so it was sheer hell. But now I think Maths is great Definetly worth the jump.
    Yep, I definitely agree. The first term of A/S Maths was torture, and weird greek letters kept cropping up, just to add to that feeling of complete in-way-out-of-my-depth-ness.

But it was so worth it in the end. Maths was probably my favourite subject (second to French). I'm going to miss it now

Well im starting A levels in September,and I've been told there is a big jump in history and english from GCSE to A level.But I hope I make the jump.

Im doing History,English Lang and Lit,Sociology and R.E.
    How many lessons of General studies are there per week?,as I know that at my college there are 5 periods a day and each subject weekly takes up 4 periods.So this would so far give my 5 free periods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maz_superstar)
    Well im starting A levels in September,and I've been told there is a big jump in history and english from GCSE to A level.But I hope I make the jump.

Im doing History,English Lang and Lit,Sociology and R.E.
    How many lessons of General studies are there per week?,as I know that at my college there are 5 periods a day and each subject weekly takes up 4 periods.So this would so far give my 5 free periods.
    My two cents..
    The jump's more to do with organisation and revision, rather than the course being downright hard, You learn a lot more, and if you're not organised, and you don't revise, you won't pull it off. This is especially true because the grade boundaries are higher; in GCSE you could do rubbish in coursework, and still get an A or A*, if you try that in an A level ( Physics for example) you'll be lucky to get a B.

ReputationRep:
    Languages jump up a lot though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimée123)
    I was planning to take French until I found out that you have to write like a 900 word essay - I had enough trouble doing the 120 I needed for GCSE! My college rates Modern Languages as the toughest subjects to succed in including Maths and the Sciences etc. Seeing they aren't that bad at GCSE if you are lucky enough to have a decent teacher and class (we never) so I would say that that is by far the biggest jump.

maz: If your college is like mine that that will just be a free perios where you can do whatever you like. General Studies is the type of subject that you can't really study for so I don't think you will get many lessons of it a week and even if you do, it's not as if anyone actually takes seriously from what I've been told.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shyopstv)
    I was planning to take French until I found out that you have to write like a 900 word essay - I had enough trouble doing the 120 I needed for GCSE!
    My French teacher told me it was no more than 200 or 250, can't remember, for AS!

maz: If your college is like mine that that will just be a free perios where you can do whatever you like. General Studies is the type of subject that you can't really study for so I don't think you will get many lessons of it a week and even if you do, it's not as if anyone actually takes seriously from what I've been told.
    No need to worry about that then and I sort of guessed as most uni's dont really take it into account,just wanted to be sure.

ReputationRep:
    I was planning to take French until I found out that you have to write like a 900 word essay - I had enough trouble doing the 120 I needed for GCSE! My college rates Modern Languages as the toughest subjects to succed in including Maths and the Sciences etc. Seeing they aren't that bad at GCSE if you are lucky enough to have a decent teacher and class (we never) so I would say that that is by far the biggest jump.
    This is rubbish. Modern Languages are very much less difficult to succeed in than something like maths. In fact, they are pipsqueak.For all boards, the maximum word count for writing at AS is about 180-200, although 150 is well acceptable. At A2, it is even easier. There's just an 80-100 word "essay" to do at the end of the paper. It's only if you're planning on doing the AEA (don't: it's a lot of unnecessary hassle), that you have to write a 450-500 word essay in Section C of the paper.

I really would encourage you to take up French or German or Spanish at A-level. I managed to do both AS and A2 French in Lower 6th, and I can tell you it's really not that bad; it's also interesting and very rewarding to get an insight into French culture.

The 900 word essay you are referring to is the cousrework section for A2. I'm not saying this is easy, but there is usually a lot of stimulus material for the topic you choose to write about, and you have a long time (many months) to do it in. Oh, and it's not 900 words. You can choose do either do two 700 word essays or one 1400 word essay. I opted for the latter; you're more likely to get higher marks, since you can sufficiently expand upon a topic.

ReputationRep:
    I think that so called jump was over estimated, i remember asking the same question a year back given that i was also nervous about how different it was going to be.

However i think you've nothing to worry about, you work to a higher level without even realising you have. They will build you up , you beginwith quite easy work and then it gets more difficult, but because youve been built up it doenst seem as difficult when you reach the peak. I think the most difficult thing about AS's is the AMOUNT of knowledge you are taught in each subject, not the level of it, even though the level is obviously higher. If you have a good memory and revise well then you'll do fine, and its a good idea to keep up with work !!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maz_superstar)
    Don't worry; I did English Lit A level, and there was no gap at all in year 12, and the only gap I noticed in year 13 pertained to Practical Criticism, which was more to do with the fact that I just didn't take to analysing unseen poetry (still got an A in the exam, though). I guess how much of a gap you percieve there to be is very much linked to the particular texts you study, and whether or not you have an affinity with them.

Regarding History, I did AS, and the source analysis was of the same standard as GCSE, though you did have to write proper essays, which I hadn't done at GCSE. I gathered, however, that A2 was an entirely different matter - it sounded as if it was much more dificult and involved an obscene amount of memorising, and loads of people took time off to finish their personal investigations. Again, I suppose it would depend on your natural aptitude and the topics you cover.

ReputationRep:
    Maths was too much...A down to like a C/D. Don't do it unless you KNOW you're good. Psychology...can't compare. Gov/Pol can't. English - that wasn't a jump at all...more like a step. But I got straight As/A*s at GCSE...I don't feel that clever anymore...but I can only wait until August...

ReputationRep:
    Yup, for Physics I did..
    I did my Physics Alevel all in one year!!!!....
    Lets see what the results bring! :rolleyes:

Advice to all fellow students..DO YOUR AS SEPARETLY AND THEN DO UR A LEVELS!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I think there will be a big jump from GCSE to A-level as the stuff gets harder.

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree, in my college, unless you were basically fluent in the bloody thing already, nobody gets above a C. Languages are a huge jump....but dont let that put you off shyopstu! Lanuages are a good thing to have. I do German for AS and am carrying it onto A2 even tho i will be lucky to get a D. The good thing is resits. My boyfriend (who is a year older) got an E in the AS exams put then in the resits in Jan pulled up his whole mark to a C (and he didn't revise more for Jan, he hardly revises at all!)

ReputationRep:
    am about to take my a levels and have chosen maths and further maths. now am really worried about the jump that people talk about. i find maths gcse really easy and i enjoy it, has anyone got any comments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -xsarahx-)
    I totally agree, in my college, unless you were basically fluent in the bloody thing already, nobody gets above a C. Languages are a huge jump....but dont let that put you off shyopstu! Lanuages are a good thing to have. I do German for AS and am carrying it onto A2 even tho i will be lucky to get a D. The good thing is resits. My boyfriend (who is a year older) got an E in the AS exams put then in the resits in Jan pulled up his whole mark to a C (and he didn't revise more for Jan, he hardly revises at all!)
    I honestly think languages are the easiest A-Levels to do if you know your grammar properly. There is far less of a jump in French compared to, say, something like Maths or Biology.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.