ebay help

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I sold a mobile phone which I'd had for a while but I'd maintained it well and as usual, listed the information to the best of my knowledge. It sold on 1st October. Seller has messaged to report issues with phone calls going through 6-8 rings and messages not being received straight away and querying a part re-fund or a 'solution'. I've advised it sounds like maybe it's a network/reception issue but again I think I've been honest on the listing.

Seller did message me during bidding process and I said phone was kept in good condition when I used it. I may consider a part re-fund but again, reasons given seem a tad flimsy.

I'd be happy to give a refund on return of the item but not contributing to postage costs as I overpaid for postage when I sent off originally..

Advice appreciated.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Neither of those issues sound like phone problems in specific, but as you say network problems.
    It's been a while to be taking it back, after 2 weeks it may not be in the same condition.
    I'd ask them to provide videos of the issue or perhaps to take it to a shop and provide proof from a tech that it's a pre-existing issue with the phone. It really doesn't sound like it. Was it all factory reset when sent?
    Just be polite as if they start a dispute you may have to accept a return, or if that's easier just do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inazuma)
    Neither of those issues sound like phone problems in specific, but as you say network problems.
    It's been a while to be taking it back, after 2 weeks it may not be in the same condition.
    I'd ask them to provide videos of the issue or perhaps to take it to a shop and provide proof from a tech that it's a pre-existing issue with the phone. It really doesn't sound like it. Was it all factory reset when sent?
    Just be polite as if they start a dispute you may have to accept a return, or if that's easier just do that.
    Seller says they only opened the package in the last 24 hours. Yes, it was reset and unlocked and new battery purchased for the phone.

Personally I don't buy the issues they are suggesting as it's nothing I've ever experienced. Seller says they've tried to call from an existing phone and it's 6/7 rings before the purchased phone rings and when calling to other networks (from the old phone) etc it doesn't happen.

Not overly fussed if they ruined my 100% feedback as frankly, after a period of inactivity, selling four items and barely getting money back due to fees and postage was disheartening so more tempted to contest it than just do an easy refund

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Seller says they only opened the package in the last 24 hours. Yes, it was reset and unlocked and new battery purchased for the phone.

Personally I don't buy the issues they are suggesting as it's nothing I've ever experienced. Seller says they've tried to call from an existing phone and it's 6/7 rings before the purchased phone rings and when calling to other networks (from the old phone) etc it doesn't happen.

Not overly fussed if they ruined my 100% feedback as frankly, after a period of inactivity, selling four items and barely getting money back due to fees and postage was disheartening so more tempted to contest it than just do an easy refund

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Networks can vary even between phones so their claim is pretty irrelevant - ask them to provide proof through professional report and contest it then

Just an idea, before you do, remove money from paypal, remove bank details, and call bank to remove the direct debit to them so no payment can come out. Then they can't be refunded.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You are the seller, so why are you listing it after having these problems?

ReputationRep:
    So, after the buyer additionally noted that the case had 'fur and lots of hair on it' which I hadn't mentioned in the listing they said they had chucked a few accessories away. I've asked what items they have left to discuss an amount for a partial refund but had no reply for a few days.

Is it 30 days after delivery date that they can open up a case? It's getting to the stage where I'm looking at technically, when I can say I've done everything I can but sorry you [buyer] made the decision to buy. I've made offers for a full refund and not had any answers for a partial refund either.

ReputationRep:
    So, after the buyer additionally noted that the case had 'fur and lots of hair on it' which I hadn't mentioned in the listing they said they had chucked a few accessories away. I've asked what items they have left to discuss an amount for a partial refund but had no reply for a few days.

Is it 30 days after delivery date that they can open up a case? It's getting to the stage where I'm looking at technically, when I can say I've done everything I can but sorry you [buyer] made the decision to buy. I've made offers for a full refund and not had any answers for a partial refund either.
    They sound a little nuts. Why would they throw stuff away if they didn't like it enough ?

Ebay is 30 days yes, if they haven't already opened a dispute etc. In theory though I think they can also approach paypal where the deadline is 6 months I believe..

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.