Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Heya,

Just wondering what useful stuff people are taking 2 uni (ie laptop etc)
    What will we need???????

ReputationRep:
    Everytime i try and make a list i seemed to stop progressing, kinda overwhelming lol.

So far ive got:

List of university doom

• Television
    • Xbox + cables + Pad
    • PC
    • Speakers
    • Monitor
    • Keyboard
    • Mouse
    • PC cables
    • Printer?
    • CRC portfolio
    • CD’s, DVD’s, Minidiscs
    • Minidisc player
    • Wallet
    • Clothes
    • Books
    • Alarm clock
    • Fan
    • Extension cables
    • Bedding

-----When arranged with housemates-----

• Plates
    • Cups
    • Cutlery
    • Toaster
    • Microwave

ReputationRep:
    Umm.. few things off the top of my head.. iron, clothes horse, hangers, pens etc, playing cards (?!), camera!

ReputationRep:
    I copied and pasted the list from studential.com (thanks) into a word document...here it is if anyone hasn't seen it yet:
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc uni list.doc (24.5 KB, 311 views)

ReputationRep:
    OOoo I'll look at the list. Will be taking my dreamcast (for a console) have been buying lots of cheap games for it so I shouldn't get bored.

Lol I've been writing a list of food I'll be buying/eating also I am really bad like that will eat something by a certain brand think its top and then forget about it for a month or two. Try beanfeast packet mixes....just add water mmmm!

ReputationRep:
    You should see the studential website on what to bring to university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who_me)
    I copied and pasted the list from studential.com (thanks) into a word document...here it is if anyone hasn't seen it yet:
    And how exactly am I supposed to fit all that lot into the car?! (or will I need to make mulktiple trips, or amass all of this over time?)

ReputationRep:
    I'm going back for my second year in hall next year and my list of extra stuff that i want this year that i didn'tlast year seems to be growing huge. I guess its because i've seen other people's rooms and thati know exactly what my own room needs to look homely. My plan so far

*throws to hang from my ceiling
    *door wedge
    *blow up chairs
    *bedside table
    *shells (to blutack to my wall... don't ask)
    *mini fridge
    *magnetic letters for the communal fridge
    *mini balckboard to put on the front of my door so people can write me messages
    *a different lampshade... the one in my room is quite frankly crap
    *glow in the dark stars for my ceiling
    *more cushions
    * more cutlery... I went with 3 of everything and left with one teaspoon and a fork
    *a hotpoint/portable grill thing
    * dusters, at times the cleaners were a bit crap
    * a rubber duck for the bath... (i've learnt that most studetns are less mature than the average 5 year old and i now know not to care about seeming like a child so my advice to anyone is bring whatever you want whether it be really cheasy CD's or your favorite cuddly toy. Even if people take the piss they won't hate you for it ;0)

Things i won't be taking back

*myfibre optic lamp.. it takes up too much space on my desk,i'll take my lava lamp instead
    *my sandwhich maker.. not because its not useful but because i managed to burn through the cable.. oppps
    *so many books.. as in I've learnt the hard way not to bother buying anything off the booklist until you've worked out whether they realy are necessary or not. Even some of the books that were "absolutely necessary" last year have sat on my bookshelf unused.
    * so many shoes, clothes etc (although its very easy to say that now I'm not so sure if i'll manage)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firebladez777.5)
    And how exactly am I supposed to fit all that lot into the car?! (or will I need to make mulktiple trips, or amass all of this over time?)
    From http://www.studential.com/checklist/ :

Remember there's no need to go out and buy every item listed here. Often universities provide some of these things, so check what they provide before you start shopping. Also you can often team up with flat mates on things like kettles, toasters, pots and pans. Whatever happens, there's likely to be a shops selling all these things when you get there, so if you do forget something vital it should'nt be too difficult to replace.

ReputationRep:
    7 out of 8 people in my flat last year took toaster and kettle with them, and only 1 person's were used because he got there first and put them out for everybody to use. So don't bother.

I would recommend talking your own cutlery, pans and dishes though..

ReputationRep:
    i would never dream of taking a toaster or kettle with me - if anything i'd think they were there for us! but i wouldn't take my own, i know that!!

i dont know what i'm taking with me really - and i'm usually the list-making princess!!!! i must start thinking!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)
    i would never dream of taking a toaster or kettle with me - if anything i'd think they were there for us! but i wouldn't take my own, i know that!!

i dont know what i'm taking with me really - and i'm usually the list-making princess!!!! i must start thinking!
    I'm taking a kettle 'cause I want to be able to make tea/hot chocolate in my room.

ReputationRep:
    Definately take door stops, and if in halls something to mke your bed look less bed like during the day... i made HUGE fluffy pillows and bought a throw, to seperate my bed from watching TV in day time, to sleeping at night. But then again, i am weird like that.

Don't take too much crockery either as it just takes up space, and plastic cups are a must if you don't wanna have to keep replacing breakages lol.

ReputationRep:
    One of the most useful things I took was a water filter that I got free with my toaster and kettle. Very handy for mornings when you have a hangover and just want to lie in bed without getting up every 10 minutes to get another glass of water.

ReputationRep:
    i can guarantee no matter how hard you plan, there will always be something like a toothbrush that gets forgotten!! every time! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing it's going to take at least a couple of weeks to get properly settled in, and to figure out what exactly you need and what you don't.

ReputationRep:
    This is going to sound really boring but please, please, please, take a good insurance policy. The first few weeks of the new academic year are heaven for sneak thieves; everyone looks like a stranger so no-one is likely to be challenged for walking out the door with a lap-top or telly. It would be a real downer on your first few weeks if that precious X-box/ipod got half-inched - heck, you might even have to read a book!

Also remember that most first year text-books can be bought cheaply from new second years or the local book exchange and other household stuff such as crockery can be found for a few pence in charity shops- often in eye-watering designs that at least make *your* plate/sheets/inflatable pig stand out from everyone else's.

ReputationRep:
    hurrah!!! someone else has started up one of these threads!!! i remember seeing loads of these threads a while ago, but couldnt find them again!!! i love thinking about what we have to take!!!! soo exciting!!!!

ReputationRep:
    apparently a clothes horse thingy would be useful- so you can dry clothes in your room- so i'll be packing one of those!!
    i think you can get them from argos for like £7.99 or something!

Ruthie xx

EDIT: here!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    apparently a clothes horse thingy would be useful- so you can dry clothes in your room- so i'll be packing one of those!!
    i think you can get them from argos for like £7.99 or something!

Ruthie xx

EDIT: here!!
    You can get them cheaper in Wilkinson

lol, I can be tight sometimes. I'm starting to get excited about going. It's even worse when you take a year off!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.