Deterioration of health due to recognised disability

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    I have a disability, due to a severe mental health condition, which is covered under the Equality Act, and I also receive DSA for.

I completed a foundation year - full time 2015/16 - and received a loan/grant for tuition fees and maintenance.

I have now commenced 1st year of undergraduate - full time 2016/17.

*My disability has now deteriorated, which is affecting attendance and studies.

*I could attend/study equivalent to part-time but not to the level required for full-time, at the moment but with additional medical treatment I foresee that this current deterioration will be overcome in a couple of months.

My questions are;
    * 1) By taking a leave of absence, my course would require me to *recommence the first year of the course in 2017/16.
    If I had medical evidence approved by SFE under exceptional circumstances, would this constitute as my gift year?

* 2) If medical evidence was approved, is there the possibility to transfer to part-time study, temporarily, but not lose the funding awarded for full-time study, for this current year?

* I am confident my consultant would support the importance, for me to continue part-time rather than taking a leave of absence.

Taking a break would inhibit recovery and make it highly probable that it would jeopardise my return at a later date and therefore obtaining a degree.

It is important that I 'ride out' this current deterioration but to ensure that stresses are significantly reduced, part-time study should meet this requirement. *

I appreciate extenuating circumstances is another option, but I am a mature student, live on my own, and have a mortgage to pay. I have to work during the summer period or it will put me into financial difficulty.

Having extenuating circumstances would cause a knock on effect for semester 2, and require that I be granted extenuating circumstances again. *This would then impact on the length of period I could gain employment for and therefore put me into financial difficulty. *Additional funding from the university would not compensate to cover financial obligations.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

If you have not previously used your gift year then you do not need to send medical evidence. Medical evidence would only be require if you were applying for compelling personal reasons. If you are changing to part time study you would receive part time funding which is tuition fee loan only.

Thanks

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 20, 2016
TSR Support Team
Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.