Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Help with Chemistry question needed! Thanks. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me in answering the following question? It is a graded question for a group assignment with a forthcoming due date. Any responses will be greatly appreciated.
    Question:
    Extracts from the leaves of a bayleaf plant are widely used in cooking and medicine. Components in bayleaves are soluble in water but much more soluble in ether.Ether and water are immiscible. Indicate how starting with bayleaves you could obtain an extract suitable for use in food preparation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_KingRaptor)
    Can anyone help me in answering the following question? It is a graded question for a group assignment with a forthcoming due date. Any responses will be greatly appreciated.
    Question:
    Extracts from the leaves of a bayleaf plant are widely used in cooking and medicine. Components in bayleaves are soluble in water but much more soluble in ether.Ether and water are immiscible. Indicate how starting with bayleaves you could obtain an extract suitable for use in food preparation.
    That's pretty tricky, but I have an idea, dissolve the components of the bayleaves in ether, and then carry out chromatography to separate the extracts. The bit I'm really not sure about it is how to then get those extracts into a suitable form, but maybe you could use water to wash out the ether solution from the chromatography paper(?) and then carry out distillation to turn the solutions into viable extracts. I'm not sure, just an idea. I'm not a chemist :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AortaStudyMore)
    That's pretty tricky, but I have an idea, dissolve the components of the bayleaves in ether, and then carry out chromatography to separate the extracts. The bit I'm really not sure about it is how to then get those extracts into a suitable form, but maybe you could use water to wash out the ether solution from the chromatography paper(?) and then carry out distillation to turn the solutions into viable extracts. I'm not sure, just an idea. I'm not a chemist :P
    Thank you for the suggestion, it's greatly appreciated. I'll certainly be looking into this idea. I'm new to Chemistry (we're just starting) so naturally it is a bit confusing, but, again, a reinforcement of my original sentiments, thank you for responding.

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.