Debating whether to give Uni another try

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I started at Nottingham Trent in 2015 studying Sports Education and Special and Inclusive Education. I ended up leaving university in January due to various factors. I had to have a job while I was at uni to live. I work at a bookmakers and I got transferred up from where I live. I would get sent 2 hours away from where I live which wasn’t ideal and I would often work weekends.

I made the mistake of going to the same uni as my girlfriend at the time and I would usually end up seeing her most days and my flat mates just kind of drifted from me. I wanted to join a sports team, never did and really wish I would have.

I didn't make friends with anyone on my course so I ended up with no friends at uni, i’m quite an outgoing person so this got me quite depressed and upset. I spent all mine time either at work or at my girlfriends and I ended up hating every part of being there. I struggled with the course because i didn’t enjoy it.

I ended up coming home and working full time at the bookmakers. I have recently been thinking of trying university again but I’m not sure if it would be the right choice in my life. I’m 21 and feel like i’m going nowhere. i live with my parents and i have a standard job where i’m on about 12k a year. I feel like I could save up some money from now until next September to financially sort myself out for the first year of uni, but its just if i’m ready and able to go back into education, and also if I could complete UCAS in time to start in 2017.

I don’t want the same things to happen if I went back to university and this has been putting me off but I suppose it would be worth the risk, surely? Any advice, views or experiences would be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    I've just gone back to uni, after doing 13 weeks 5 years ago. I'm now 24, and I've stayed local to where I'm now working. I'm finding I appreciate university so much more because I know I'm working towards I better future, not just going because 'it's the next step'. I only decided to go back at the start of the year, so your starting earlier than me. My suggestion is you go to an open day and talk to a lecturer, they see so many 20 something year olds come back to finish their course and can give you some good advice. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RebeccaB92)
    I've just gone back to uni, after doing 13 weeks 5 years ago. I'm now 24, and I've stayed local to where I'm now working. I'm finding I appreciate university so much more because I know I'm working towards I better future, not just going because 'it's the next step'. I only decided to go back at the start of the year, so your starting earlier than me. My suggestion is you go to an open day and talk to a lecturer, they see so many 20 something year olds come back to finish their course and can give you some good advice. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the response! Yeah i'm thinking of going to a few open days. I know if I do decide to try it again it will be a slightly different course at a different university so i need to decide soon what direction i'm gonna take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHaffnerrr)
    Thanks for the response! Yeah i'm thinking of going to a few open days. I know if I do decide to try it again it will be a slightly different course at a different university so i need to decide soon what direction i'm gonna take.
    Make sure you actually like the city and not just the uni ranking all I'll say

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you've been able to pinpoint exactly what went 'wrong' during your time at university. If you chose to go back then this awareness would put you in a good position for succeeding; you're hardly going to make the same 'mistakes' twice.

Did you enjoy the academic side of university? Did you enjoy your course? Do you want to pursue a career in Sports Education? If the answer to these is yes then really consider going back to university... the social issue, the girlfriend, the job, the sports clubs... all of these can be solved relatively easily if you go back.

Money is a genuine concern but you would have an entire year to work full-time and save up as much as possible. If you can be very strict with yourself and your budget then you could be ok. You can also apply to different jobs whilst you are at university that either pay better/ are closer by/ have more convenient hours. There are a tonne of jobs available for university students in the local cities so don;t feel pressured to stay with the bookies if they're not helping you out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose M.)
    It sounds like you've been able to pinpoint exactly what went 'wrong' during your time at university. If you chose to go back then this awareness would put you in a good position for succeeding; you're hardly going to make the same 'mistakes' twice.

Did you enjoy the academic side of university? Did you enjoy your course? Do you want to pursue a career in Sports Education? If the answer to these is yes then really consider going back to university... the social issue, the girlfriend, the job, the sports clubs... all of these can be solved relatively easily if you go back.

Money is a genuine concern but you would have an entire year to work full-time and save up as much as possible. If you can be very strict with yourself and your budget then you could be ok. You can also apply to different jobs whilst you are at university that either pay better/ are closer by/ have more convenient hours. There are a tonne of jobs available for university students in the local cities so don;t feel pressured to stay with the bookies if they're not helping you out.
    Yeah that's what i'm thinking currently. The academic side wasn't bad, I just didn't enjoy the start of my course, like the topics we were covering but that's my fault for not putting the research in or just knuckling down and dealing with it. Money was one of the big issues but like I said, and like you've pointed to, I have all year to save and put myself in a good position going into it and being able to choose to have a job if i feel like i can. Thanks for your input Rose!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources

Articles:

Freshers guidePreparing for universityGuide to Freshers' WeekCity and nightlife guidesAlcohol guide for freshersStaying safe at uniBudgeting and financeStudent foodTravel and getting aroundUniversity study tipsHow to write your dissertation in just four weeksA week in the life of a uni student

Sponsored features:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick link:

Unanswered uni life threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.