Moving from England

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I was wondering about coming to Queens - I currently live in England and I'm wondering what Belfast life is like? Although, I suppose what I'm really wondering about is what life would be like taking several years in Belfast then coming back... What about putting down years' worth of roots there and then leaving it all behind? Or am I worrying about nothing?

Sorry and thanks

PS What's the ENglish course like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoxWhisperer)
    Hey

I was wondering about coming to Queens - I currently live in England and I'm wondering what Belfast life is like? Although, I suppose what I'm really wondering about is what life would be like taking several years in Belfast then coming back... What about putting down years' worth of roots there and then leaving it all behind? Or am I worrying about nothing?

Sorry and thanks

Hi there FoxWhisperer :hi:

I'm sure a lot of people heading off to uni for the 1st time, especially somewhere new, have similar worries and concerns. But everyone will be in the same boat - even those coming from not too far away! Think of it as the beginning of a new adventure which is going to bring you new friends and experiences which you'll treasure for a lifetime. Also I think in terms of future employment it always looks good on a CV or application to be able to show that you've had the courage and independence to try somewhere else away from home to study! Plus it's always good to explore a little and see different places before you settle down.

As far as life in Belfast and Northern Ireland is concerned, well we've only gone and topped the UK Happiness Index. Again. :grin: http://bbc.in/2dhRnAw

Belfast is a great city to live and study in. It's very compact and easy to get around and has great shopping, great restaurants, great nightlife and a great student community which Queen's is at the very heart of. Plus the rest of Northern Ireland is very accessible and there is so much to see! Check out our short film about student life in Belfast so you can get a general idea about living and studying here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rcqrGxQVoQ - hope it helps a little with your decision making!

Are you thinking of applying to Queen's for September 2017?

Kachela
    (Team Queen's)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoxWhisperer)
    Hey

Sorry and thanks

Hey!

Thought I would stop by and give you my experience of moving from England to Belfast.
    When I have enjoyed aspects of living here, I've also slowly grown to hate it. Your experience may be different but I have found that there is still some hatred towards the English and I've had to be careful about where I live.
    Flagged areas tend to be protestant which tend to display the union flag and the red hand of ulster.
    If you're just moving here for university it will be a great experience to teach you to stand on your own 2 feet and to look at how different cultures work etc. Especially in Northern Ireland where it is still very religious in comparison to England.
    It's a great place to live and there are some gorgeous sites to go and visit.
    I however, after nearly 4 years here would not choose to live here full time. If anything it has made me realise how lucky we are in England.
    Come to NI for a visit and see what you think before moving.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I moved from England to Belfast in 2011 to go Queen's and graduated in 2014. I have lived here five years now.

I disagree with deviant182 regarding the hatred of the English. The majority of my friends here are catholic and republicans but I have never experienced any intolerance from them at all. These are all people I met at university so are younger and didn't grew up after the worst of the troubles so I get that this might not be an accurate portrayal of people of all ages, but I am yet to experience any intolerance in my workplace environment either, with people of all ages. I'm not saying it isn't there, because I know there are people that are intolerant, and occasionally when drunk, groups of people in clubs/pubs might start sectarian chants, but this kind of behaviour will get you thrown out. I have a thick English accent and a loud voice and am yet to experience any face to face intolerance.

I would also argue that all cities have areas that are less safe to live in, and Belfast is no different. However, as a student I think it would be quite unlikely that any of the particularly 'flaggy' areas of Belfast would be where you would want to live anyway as most students live in the area directly around the uni.
    An ace thing about Belfast is HOW CHEAP THE HOUSING IS. Seriously, rent is mega mega cheap here and you can get quite decent studenty houses for around £210 per month. You also save as you don't pay for water when you live in Northern Ireland.

Belfast is quite small and can often feel more like a big town than a city. This is good for things like travel because you can save loads of money as it's not necessary to get transport everywhere. If you don't want to walk that's fine too, you can just get the bus into town etc.
    The downside of the size of Belfast is that it can feel a bit dead. When you compare it to cities like Manchester and London where there is something happening every night then sometimes you can feel a bit cast out. There are different club nights every night of the week for students, but for things like raves and good dj sets you have to wait for it.

Something really important to consider and do not underestimate though is that students at Queen's go home every weekend. This can be okay sometimes, if you have work to do or just want some alone time to chill: but it can feel really *****y if your bored on a Friday/Saturday night and your friends in English unis are all heading out with their mates. Obviously if you have mates in your halls that are also English or choose not to go home every weekend that's ace, but I didn't have that and spent weekends alone in my first year.

My other issue is that laws here dictate that gay people cannot get married, and that women cannot have abortions.
    In my experience, these laws do not reflect the general consensus of what people actually think. In my time here, I have only met one person that truly believed that gay people should not be able to get married. The abortion issue is more controversial, but I've mentioned it because if you're a girl then it is something you might need to think about at some point. It is possible to get the morning after pill but if they don't want to on religious grounds then the chemist doesn't have to sell it to you. You can go the Doctor and get it for free anyway though.

I personally don't know what the English course is like, but I have a friend who did English with Queens and is now doing a PHD there, and know if you are interested in the subject there are a lot of out of uni activities that you can take part in and a lot of support between students.

When I moved to Belfast in 2011 I really didn't know what to expect. I hadn't been to visit the uni and only put it down as a first choice as I noticed it was a Russell Group uni that needed the lowest grades to get in. I'm not going to sit and pretend that there aren't undercurrents of tensions between the communities, but I personally have never experienced it face to face.
    I've tried to give a fair portrayal of Belfast. I genuinely love living here. I am currently in a lowish wage job, but due to cheap rent I am able to save up tons of money. As a student, I had enough money to go out four nights week, and also ate out all the time.
    I've found most people I've met to be extremely welcoming, regardless of their community background and have made truly great friends here. I always thought when I was at uni that I was going to move back to England but towards the end of my final year I realised how much I love both the city and the people here. I think that Belfast is an ace place to live, and I really recommend you at least come to check it out and get a picture of what it's like.

ReputationRep:
    While I may be in the minority.... I have dealt with face to face intolerance and my concerns have not been addressed within the university.
    I have been bullied and this again has not been addressed.
    The op deserves a rounded picture I agree and I have given my very short version of it.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.