Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Crisis 07 – Falklands Recapture

ReputationRep:
    Crisis 07 – Falklands Recapture
    The Prime Minister is attempting to come up with new legislation when the phone rings. He answers it and hears the Foreign Secretary on the other end of the line. “Sir, we have received significant news from the Falkland Islands that Argentina has taken them back. Several thousand Argentine soldiers took the islands at around our lunchtime with heavy air support, despite taking significant casualties from the Rapier missile systems and roulement infantry company, most of whom surrendered. There has been little physical resistance from the residents. If you check your email, you will see that I have sent you their latest statement.” The Prime Minister nods and turns on his computer. An email arrives which says the following:

"Argentine forces have taken back today what is rightfully ours. We realise that Britain has stubbornly tried to own the islands for many decades now but enough is enough. Yes, a few of the residents aren’t happy about the move but we promise to protect their culture and their language. We will however be setting up an air force base on West Falkland. We want this takeover to create no more bloodshed and we hope that you share the same feeling. In compensation to your country, our President has generously offered to pay Britain 20 million Argentine Pesos. You don’t have to give us a response but it would be polite if you could, one way or another."

The Prime Minister receives another call, this time from the Defence Secretary. “Minister Prime, if you give me the order, I can mobilise the Joint Rapid Reaction Force and send them to take back the Falkland Islands.” “Would it be a swift and successful operation?” “Meh. Possibly. We're not completely sure of their strength and they seem to have Russian-made arms and vehicles, with some serious air support.” The Prime Minister turns off the phone and calls an emergency Cabinet meeting. The Government have a crucial decision to make. Do they defend one of their territories and attempt to take back the Falkland Islands, risking thousands of lives, both civilian and military, or do they accept that the Falkland Islands now belong to Argentina and take the money? Or, do they make up an option 3?

ReputationRep:
    Moving back towards the sensible/realistic end of the crises...

ReputationRep:
    It will be interesting to hear the Government's response on this one.

ReputationRep:
    So several thousand Argentine soldiers got on a boat and sailed across to the Falklands and no one noticed until they took the Island?

ReputationRep:
    Surely it would be a COBRA meeting not a cabinet meeting? That aside, possibly the most realistic crisis yet

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think this proves the point on the CC, once again absurd and released against the CC constitution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    Moving back towards the sensible/realistic end of the crises...
    You've already had it explained to you that it isn't, but I guess that won't stop you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    released against the CC constitution.
    As I explained, not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Well, I think this proves the point on the CC, once again absurd and released against the CC constitution.
    This does prove a point about the CC, yes, that they're making an effort to produce a sensible crisis and I commend them for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Surely it would be a COBRA meeting not a cabinet meeting? That aside, possibly the most realistic crisis yet
    Not that realistic.

In the time since the last invasion Argentina has defaulted and impoverished itself while the UK enjoyed sustained growth. Accordingly we see that the Argentine air force and navy is pitiful while the type 45 destroyers we have are regarded as world class.

If Argentina attacked, they'd be utterly crushed.

ReputationRep:
    "Meh, possibly".

Exactly the kind of clear, precise advice you want from your ministry of defence when facing an invasion. :lol: :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Not that realistic.

In the time since the last invasion Argentina has defaulted and impoverished itself while the UK enjoyed sustained growth. Accordingly we see that the Argentine air force and navy is pitiful while the type 45 destroyers we have are regarded as world class.

I did qualify it was the most realistic of the crisis so far. I don't know enough about Argentina to say how a fight would go

ReputationRep:
    As Foreign Sec i can confirm that the Prime Minister is engaged in deep pondering (i popped put for a cigar) and i have emailed the Argentina PM with a documentary of the Battle of Trafalgar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Not that realistic.

I think it is most certainly a realistic crisis. In recent years tensions have flared up between Spain and Gibralter and it is perfectly possible for the same to happen over the Falklands.

It will be interesting to see what course of action you decide to take.

ReputationRep:
    That first sentence. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    I look forward to the government's response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I think it is most certainly a realistic crisis. In recent years tensions have flared up between Spain and Gibralter and it is perfectly possible for the same to happen over the Falklands.

It will be interesting to see what course of action you decide to take.
    Yes, it's definitely realistic when the only Russian equipment the Argentine Army has is a bunch of sniper rifles from Chavez yet somehow they've ended up with Russian made arms and vehicles in this crisis. Oh, and they've mobilised several thousand soldiers on a war footing and mounted a successful operation without any detectable practice and the intelligence services looking the other way. Funny that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Yes, it's definitely realistic when the only Russian equipment the Argentine Army has is a bunch of sniper rifles from Chavez yet somehow they've ended up with Russian made arms and vehicles in this crisis. Oh, and they've mobilised several thousand soldiers on a war footing without the intelligence services having a clue. Funny that.
    Tbh if we were only going to let the most realistic crises be put forward then we'd only get crises that were actually happening. The fact is that very unexpected things do happen.

ReputationRep:
    We just have to wait for Boris to say something stupid, then it will be for real.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    This does prove a point about the CC, yes, that they're making an effort to produce a sensible crisis and I commend them for that.
    If you think this is sensible you are more brain dead than I thought. Let's put it this way: the journey from Argentina to the Falklands is about a day, the Argentine navy is an absolte shambles. For the last 200nm they're almost certainly looking at submarine attacks, maybe half a dozen bombing and strafing runs an hour, and potentially other anti ship missile fire, they're looking at this for in excess of 6 hours. So we have a navy that barely floats somehow surviving for 6 hours.

If you think that is realistic there really is nothing to be said.

Updated: October 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.