Restarting AS levels + applying to Oxbridge

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    I got mostly A-A* at GCSE, but I picked my AS course with very little consideration for my future, with subjects I did not enjoy or find interesting.

I did very poorly in my AS levels, and I decided to switch my course from mainly humanities-essay subjects over to purely Maths+Science subjects which are my strong point. So doing AS levels all over again with different subjects.

I've been on this course for a month now, and I love it; really enjoying it. Whereas last year I would of come home and left papers all over the floor and draws, I now spend hours after classes in the library, doing any physics problems I can get my hands on, stuff like that. Despite not doing any of these subjects for 18 months now, I've maintained straight A's in all the subject tests, internal tests, etc so far.

Naturally, I'm more enthusiastic about going to university now, and actively looking at my choices. The one course that has stood out for me, is Natural Sciences at cambridge, where I can combine all my preferred sciences and some maths.

So the question is, will the fact i messed up original AS course have any affect on an Oxbridge application, IF I end up getting 5 As at AS level? Also factoring in my mediocre GCSE grades (compared to most oxbridge applicants)

For reference, I'm doing Maths+FM, Biology, Chemistry and Physics

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eyjaokull)
    IFor reference, I'm doing Maths+FM, Biology, Chemistry and Physics

Thanks.
    If you are taking new A-level subjects you will not be disadvantaged.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got mostly A-A* at GCSE
    Also factoring in my mediocre GCSE grades
    Name:  boi.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  23.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    It gets tiring listening to people on Oxbridge threads asking about if they'll get in despite having 100 A*s in GCSE and A Level.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine, as on the new course you will be doing the subjects in two years- not 3 which is what oxbridge do not accept! Your GCSEs will be taken into account relative to your school, so if yours are some of the best in the school they will look better than someone with better grades who did not do so well in their school, if that makes sense? Anyway, it'll be fine just focus on your AS's, good luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    Depends how bad your original grades were, how well you can communicate the reasons for your original grades being poor, how well you perform at AS level, how well you perform at interview, how lucky you are, etc.

I'd say wait until you get your second lot of AS results before you start thinking properly about this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    I feel you. I classed my A*BBBBBCCC GCSE grades as 'mediocre' but whatever. :/

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.