VM406 – Full Drug Decriminalisation Motion 2016 (Second Reading)

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
  • View Poll Results: Do you agree with this motion?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    47.83%
    On the contrary, No
    39.13%
    Abstain
    13.04%

ReputationRep:
    VM406 – Full Drug Decriminalisation Motion 2016 (Second Reading), TSR Liberal Party
    This house believes each individual should be responsible for their own actions. Furthermore, this house trusts individuals to act in their own self interest. However, this house understands that individuals sometimes make choices that are perceived to be against that individuals own self interest.

This house supports the right of an individual to do as they please as long as they are within the law and do not harm another individual.

This house notes the successes of Portugal including a reduction in the spread of HIV and AIDS, a decline in drug use for those aged between 15 and 24, the age-group most at risk of initiating drug use and a huge decrease in death due to drugs use.

This house also notes the success of drug consumption rooms in countries including Switzerland, Germany and Spain.

Therefore, this house calls upon Her Majesty's Government to decriminalise all drugs currently made illegal under the Misuse of Drugs act, but only if an individual possesses a drug for personal use. This house also calls on the Government to fund and create drug consumption rooms to ensure those consuming drugs do so without the risk of spreading HIV and remove the chance of suffering from an overdose.

Notes
    This is a short motion just to see how much of the house supports Full Drug Decriminalisation. I'm happy to write the bill myself if this passes, but I wanted to measure support first.

Source for Portugal Statistics - http://www.tdpf.org.uk/blog/drug-dec...ecord-straight
    Source for Drug Consumption Rooms - http://www.russellwebster.com/do-dru...on-rooms-work/

Changes
    Addition of Drug Consumption Rooms (with a source added in the notes above)

ReputationRep:
    I have been thinking a lot about this and have decided to vote aye.

ReputationRep:
    While this is a Liberal party motion, I will be abstaining out of respect to my party, even though I disagree with this.

(Sorry, Petros.)

ReputationRep:
    I will be voting no to this motion - I have long opposed drug legalisation and will continue to do so.

ReputationRep:
    The war on drugs has failed and I therefore support decriminalisation. The Portuguese model offers an excellent example of how to treat addictions in a humane and pragmatic manner, cutting drug consumption and associated offending as a result. Wholehearted Aye from me!

ReputationRep:
    Very difficult for me. I think I'll give you a tentative Aye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    The war on drugs has failed and I therefore support decriminalisation. The Portuguese model offers an excellent example of how to treat addictions in a humane and pragmatic manner, cutting drug consumption and associated offending as a result. Wholehearted Aye from me!
    The war on drugs has been failing because it's been treated as a supply side problem and relies on going after people that cannot be touched, and if they are somehow dealt with preventing them from being replaced. Literally, the gangs themselves are more effective than the authorities. I ask you this, exactly as in the debate: what do the places with the lowest drug usage have in common? Putting the disincentive on the consumer rather than the seller, and then making that disincentive such that the only people who actually go for it have much bigger things to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    Abstain. I would enjoy the opportunity to co-author a Bill on the topic with my learned friend PetrosAC, but I cannot offer my wholehearted support to whatever this vague motion may be interpreted to mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Abstain. I would enjoy the opportunity to co-author a Bill on the topic with my learned friend PetrosAC, but I cannot offer my wholehearted support to whatever this vague motion may be interpreted to mean.
    I understand and look forward to working with you on what will be a great bill!

ReputationRep:
    Abstain, however I would support a bill

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    The war on drugs has been failing because it's been treated as a supply side problem and relies on going after people that cannot be touched, and if they are somehow dealt with preventing them from being replaced. Literally, the gangs themselves are more effective than the authorities. I ask you this, exactly as in the debate: what do the places with the lowest drug usage have in common? Putting the disincentive on the consumer rather than the seller, and then making that disincentive such that the only people who actually go for it have much bigger things to worry about.
    I feel treating addictions through rehabilitation not punishment is the way forward, to break the cycle of petty crime and social issues caused by long-term drug addiction.

Of course the importance of tackling drug supply is also crucial, and drug gangs must continue to face the full weight of the law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    I feel treating addictions through rehabilitation not punishment is the way forward, to break the cycle of petty crime and social issues caused by long-term drug addiction.

Of course the importance of tackling drug supply is also crucial, and drug gangs must continue to face the full weight of the law.
    They are hardly mutually exclusive, last I checked there are medical and psychiatric facilities in hospitals. I also find it funny how you denounce the "war on drugs" as a failure while continuing to endorse the failed methods and denounce the effective ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    They are hardly mutually exclusive, last I checked there are medical and psychiatric facilities in hospitals. I also find it funny how you denounce the "war on drugs" as a failure while continuing to endorse the failed methods and denounce the effective ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The approach taken by Portugal a decade ago was highly successful and effective in cutting drug use. I'm happy to support this reform as evidence shows it works.

Some useful info here.

ReputationRep:
    Aye

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ayes to the right: 22
    Noes to the left: 18
    Abstentions: 6

The Ayes have it! The Ayes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 92%

Updated: October 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.