Getting ahead

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm in my first year of 6th form at a comprehensive school, and I've decided that I want to study medicine (so beginning academic year 2018/19).

I need to know what little things I can do to get ahead of other applicants like me. I was lucky enough to get a 3-day GP shadowing experience in the summer, and I'm currently in the process of applying for a 2-day hospital work experience. I've been trying to get some long-term work experience at a care home, but they either don't reply, or they say I need to be over 18

This time next year (!!!), I would have sent off my UCAS application, but I want to know things I can do right here right now to make a truly competitive application, for example, books to read and ways to prepare for the admissions tests/interviews. I know it's all really early but I'm taking no chances!

Any help would be super appreciated.

Thanks in advance! x

ReputationRep:
    i'm a med student and id recommend
    volunteer as an event first aider with the red cross and u get first aid training for free
    get a job in a hospital
    volunteer in a care home/hospice/ residential home
    nuffield research project or any other research project
    "medic insight" days
    open days
    talks and lectures by people at uni
    practice the ukcat
    get a volunteering award for example the saltire award or somethingd
    dofe
    sport/music
    get dem As

Just do as much as possible and become as perfect a human being as possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopefullyOneDay)
    i'm a med student and id recommend
    volunteer as an event first aider with the red cross and u get first aid training for free
    get a job in a hospital
    volunteer in a care home/hospice/ residential home
    nuffield research project or any other research project
    "medic insight" days
    open days
    talks and lectures by people at uni
    practice the ukcat
    get a volunteering award for example the saltire award or somethingd
    dofe
    sport/music
    get dem As

Just do as much as possible and become as perfect a human being as possible
    Okay so if we treat that as a checklist, I'm not doing too badly

Could you tell me more about the "medic insight" days? What are they? Oh and also the research projects?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effieb)
    Okay so if we treat that as a checklist, I'm not doing too badly

Could you tell me more about the "medic insight" days? What are they? Oh and also the research projects?

Thanks!
    Good I'm glad you're doing good

Google nuffield and then medic insight days. I think medic insight MIGHT be scottish though...
    Nuffield research project you do after you second-last year study and it's during the summer. Quite a few people had it.

I really enjoyed working in the hospital gave me real healthcare experience, money and weekly motivation. And the money is soooo good.

where you wanting to apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopefullyOneDay)
    Good I'm glad you're doing good

Google nuffield and then medic insight days. I think medic insight MIGHT be scottish though...
    Nuffield research project you do after you second-last year study and it's during the summer. Quite a few people had it.

I really enjoyed working in the hospital gave me real healthcare experience, money and weekly motivation. And the money is soooo good.

where you wanting to apply?
    Thank you
    How did you manage to get paid for your hospital work experience?

I haven't had any predicted grades yet, but I managed to get a decent number of A*s at GCSE so I'm hoping it'll be able to achieve at least AAA . . . I've been pretty interested in Imperial, and also Cardiff is starting to seem interesting too! I'd definitely look into universities with slightly lower entry grades in case it all goes horribly wrong...

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.