Laptop issue here - CPU + fan

Announcements Posted on
Calling all anime fans! Don't miss the midnight Secret Santa deadline! 04-12-2016
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-350.../dp/B009SJCX5Y
    That's the laptop I've got here.

Trouble is, its heatsink fan seems to be perhaps @ its fastest speed and being noisy is annoying to hear. Irritating to hear when trying to concentrate on either uni work or job apps. Also, running many tabs open on Chrome, something that I find myself frequently doing for sure, awkwardly occasionally can make things laggy e.g. mouse stops moving for a while or it just disappears or even scrolling can't work a little while etc.

I've already tried 2 scans to check for viruses - Windows Defender + Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, neither of which helped.

Reboot of laptop hasn't helped, even with Box Sync in the background closed fails to help. See attached pics plz. These pics, they show task manager with no Box Sync, Chrome, file explorer etc windows running in the background. What I find surprising and suspect to be perhaps the actual issue, is how if you look @2nd pic, "CPU @ 2.50 GHz" you see, and that 2.50 GHz is clearly exceeded by the 3.03 GHz speed of presumably the CPU/processor. I THINK this may be the issue. Have no idea why this is - as mentioned, no other stuff at all (like Box Sync service in background, windows of Chrome loaded with tabs, file explorer windows, etc) I'm running at all.

THANKS
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisshP)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-350.../dp/B009SJCX5Y
    That's the laptop I've got here.

Trouble is, its heatsink fan seems to be perhaps @ its fastest speed and being noisy is annoying to hear. Irritating to hear when trying to concentrate on either uni work or job apps. Also, running many tabs open on Chrome, something that I find myself frequently doing for sure, awkwardly occasionally can make things laggy e.g. mouse stops moving for a while or it just disappears or even scrolling can't work a little while etc.

I've already tried 2 scans to check for viruses - Windows Defender + Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, neither of which helped.

Reboot of laptop hasn't helped, even with Box Sync in the background closed fails to help. See attached pics plz. These pics, they show task manager with no Box Sync, Chrome, file explorer etc windows running in the background. What I find surprising and suspect to be perhaps the actual issue, is how if you look @2nd pic, "CPU @ 2.50 GHz" you see, and that 2.50 GHz is clearly exceeded by the 3.03 GHz speed of presumably the CPU/processor. I THINK this may be the issue. Have no idea why this is - as mentioned, no other stuff at all (like Box Sync service in background, windows of Chrome loaded with tabs, file explorer windows, etc) I'm running at all.

THANKS
    open it, clean the fan for dust. Sometimes it needs to put extra power to overcome the dust that's stopping it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunq)
    open it, clean the fan for dust. Sometimes it needs to put extra power to overcome the dust that's stopping it.
    Already tried, like a month ago, didn't help.

I'm under the impression that it'd be an internal thing if you get me, due to that [email protected] GHz being exceeded clearly.:confused::confused::confused:

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest opening it up if it's out of warrantly, using some compressed air to blow out dust and other crap in the fan. If that doesn't work look at reapplying thermal paste as it may have dried up.

Make sure you run a virus / malware scan to make sure you've not got any hidden nasties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uncleleech)
    (Original post by Drunq)
    What sucks up the GHz of CPU/processors?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Chrome is notorious for being a huge drain on resources. I recently stopped using it as it was becoming too resource intensive for my liking. This may or may not solve your problems but is certainly an explanation for the lag you sometimes experience when using it.

As far as the CPU goes, it's clocked at 2.5GHz and is turboing up to a little over 3GHz. This is not an issue as the maximum clock speed the i5 5210M will boost to is 3.1GHz. So don't worry about it actually being at that speed. What is more concerning is why it' turboing up that high. 33% usage is a rather agressively low number to be turboing at. Then gain this is a fairly old processor and with things like Chrome and what I'm assuming is Windows 8 or 10 taking up so many system resources nowadays it's not unthinkable to see boosting at such low speeds.

Can you download a simple CPU temperature monitoring software? The fan should come on in relation to CPU temperature and if you're getting abnormal temps you'll get more fan noise. It may be possible to check things like the thermal compound and see if it needs replacing although on some laptops this can be a huge pain and require some serious disassembly. How old is the laptop and how long have you been using it? It's recommended that you change desktop thermal compound every 6 months or so to ensure maximum performance. Laptop compound should last the lifetime of the laptop but that doesn't mean it's alright now.

You mentioned that you've checked for malware, how thorough have you been? Malware is a potential explanation for what's occuring. It could be hidden from the task manager but leveraging system resources, resulting on unusually high temps on seemingly low level tasks.

You're getting 33% CPU usage on the above screenshots, can you identify which processes are causing that since we can't see in teh screenshot? I'm assuming it's Chrome tabs but check to be sure. This may also point to some hidden processes eating up resources and causing issues.

ReputationRep:
    What sucks up the GHz of CPU/processors?

thanks
    Okay, you can try underclock ur cpu. Make it run at a lower GHz if you only use it for basic programs. - Try opening ur BIOS and look on that.

Also, you could search the make and model of your laptop buy a replacement fan and its easy to install a new one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunq)
    Okay, you can try underclock ur cpu. Make it run at a lower GHz if you only use it for basic programs. - Try opening ur BIOS and look on that.

Also, you could search the make and model of your laptop buy a replacement fan and its easy to install a new one.
    I would avoid this for the time being, we don't know whats triggering the turbo.

Try installing something like speedfan and seeing the temps. I'd still recommend a virus scan just in case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uncleleech;[url="tel:68077996")
    68077996[/url]]I would avoid this for the time being, we don't know whats triggering the turbo.

Try installing something like speedfan and seeing the temps. I'd still recommend a virus scan just in case.

If he doesn't need the turbo . I'd turn it off for now in BIOS and suggest doing a full PC reinstall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Chrome is notorious for being a huge drain on resources. I recently stopped using it as it was becoming too resource intensive for my liking. This may or may not solve your problems but is certainly an explanation for the lag you sometimes experience when using it.
    So which internet browser you using instead? I remember how once I opened a number of tabs on Opera, Firefox and Chrome, and then compared through task manager which occupies least memory, and Chrome was the winner. BUT, looking back, I don't remember looking at which occupied lowest CPU % consumption.

(Original post by Acsel)
    As far as the CPU goes, it's clocked at 2.5GHz and is turboing up to a little over 3GHz. This is not an issue as the maximum clock speed the i5 5210M will boost to is 3.1GHz. So don't worry about it actually being at that speed. What is more concerning is why it' turboing up that high. 33% usage is a rather agressively low number to be turboing at. Then gain this is a fairly old processor and with things like Chrome and what I'm assuming is Windows 8 or 10 taking up so many system resources nowadays it's not unthinkable to see boosting at such low speeds.
    Any ideas why it did such turboing despite just 33% usage? @ that time, I had no Box Sync, Chrome, File Explorer, Windows Photo Viewer etc windows open up/running at all, and was just following a reboot!

Next day, aka today, morning - had: {Chrome browser (2 windows open) + 1 MS Word window + Box Sync running in background + Windows Photo viewer + 1 file explorer window} open, in the middle of calling someone from my mobile (with laptop in front and me not touching it during the call). What's weird, is how for some time, fan was continuously noisy and spinning very fast. Then, all of a sudden during my call, it just out of nowhere had calmed down, no such noise of fan thereafter. After, put laptop in hibernate, then turned it up after uni. I say that it's a chunk of the time not so noisy, occasionally (like after every 2/3 mins) it can get louder/faster fan, but that fairly soon disappears (lasts perhaps about 10-15s). Roughly 50 degrees celsius CPU temp. CPU usage even sometimes being as low as 2%. 16% just witnessed, and 5% before that. 78% can spike up if you quickly open up Facebook + Google Maps tabs on Chrome, both of which are media-rich, which did cause fan to become faster/louder. See attached pics plz.

(Original post by Acsel)
    Can you download a simple CPU temperature monitoring software? The fan should come on in relation to CPU temperature and if you're getting abnormal temps you'll get more fan noise. It may be possible to check things like the thermal compound and see if it needs replacing although on some laptops this can be a huge pain and require some serious disassembly. How old is the laptop and how long have you been using it? It's recommended that you change desktop thermal compound every 6 months or so to ensure maximum performance. Laptop compound should last the lifetime of the laptop but that doesn't mean it's alright now.
    Yes, Speccy, the attached pics on the right of Task Manger window, the Speccy window with CPU temp there.I've been using it since summer 2016, and tbh the issue was back then too. Got it off my bro, who said that it's just like that. I think total age of this laptop is perhaps 1-2 yrs.

(Original post by Acsel)
    You mentioned that you've checked for malware, how thorough have you been? Malware is a potential explanation for what's occuring. It could be hidden from the task manager but leveraging system resources, resulting on unusually high temps on seemingly low level tasks
    A full scan, so I doubt it's that being the issue.

(Original post by Acsel)
    You're getting 33% CPU usage on the above screenshots, can you identify which processes are causing that since we can't see in teh screenshot? I'm assuming it's Chrome tabs but check to be sure. This may also point to some hidden processes eating up resources and causing issues.
    Well, back then, there was NO Chrome actually open, and that's the very surprising thing actually! Just task manager - see OP, first pic there, see bottom, how it's just task manager open, no Chrome at all! I even then had no Box Sync background service running too.

Currently, I've got {Chrome browser (2 windows open, 8 and 6 tabs respectively, neither of which are media-rich(e.g. YouTube, FB, G Maps etc kind I mean) + Box Sync and f.lux running in background + Windows Photo viewer + 1 file explorer window} open + Task Manager + Speccy} open. All processes currently are shown on 6 images that I've attached. Thanks for your help.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Name:  after wakeup.PNG
Views: 10
Size:  62.7 KB

^^^ after wakeup of laptop

ReputationRep:
    it appears that, currently, with 26% CPU usage, 2.45GHz, fan appears to continually spin fast and loud.

EDIT: I've got 2 PDFs on Chrome open that I'm reading through, in case that's got any influence with CPU usage, I doubt much if any,,,

The sleep/wakeup of laptop caused the fan to go spin fast and loud, any ideas why? 67 degrees Celcius CPU temp, even reached 69 at one point, 35% CPU usage, 3.00GHz. Thanks for any help. Here's a pic of current state:Name:  after sleep wakeup.PNG
Views: 12
Size:  150.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    So which internet browser you using instead? I remember how once I opened a number of tabs on Opera, Firefox and Chrome, and then compared through task manager which occupies least memory, and Chrome was the winner. BUT, looking back, I don't remember looking at which occupied lowest CPU % consumption.
    I personally moved to Firefox because it's a little more lightweight and not quite as intensive as Chrome. Personally though I find that if you're going to be doing a lot of browsing then the browser doesn't make a lot of difference. What's more important is the hardware you are running it on. No amount of browser switching will alleviate issues if you've got loads of tabs open. For me 8GB is my baselines for RAM, with 16GB being a baseline if you're a heavy browser. I don't have a baseline for CPU specs since most people will have something that copes for whatever they are doing. And CPU's don't tend to bottleneck as often as other components. Since you've got an older CPU though this may be different for you.

Any ideas why it did such turboing despite just 33% usage? @ that time, I had no Box Sync, Chrome, File Explorer, Windows Photo Viewer etc windows open up/running at all, and was just following a reboot!
    To know that you'd have to look into the exact turbo curve for your CPU in tandem with the other components and compare it to what you're doing.

In general though a dual core CPU won't give massive amounts of performance and as such it may simply be that it's turboing up more often to give you the most amount of performance it can offer. Mobile CPU's suffer from inherently poor performance as part of the tradeoff for getting them in laptops. Modern models are getting better at closing the gap but they're still inherently worse than a desktop counterpart.

As far as other explanations, it could be all manner of things. For example if your power settings are set to high performance it may cause more than normal boosting. At the end of the day boosting up, even when not necessary will still get the task done faster.

Next day, aka today, morning - had: {Chrome browser (2 windows open) + 1 MS Word window + Box Sync running in background + Windows Photo viewer + 1 file explorer window} open, in the middle of calling someone from my mobile (with laptop in front and me not touching it during the call). What's weird, is how for some time, fan was continuously noisy and spinning very fast. Then, all of a sudden during my call, it just out of nowhere had calmed down, no such noise of fan thereafter. After, put laptop in hibernate, then turned it up after uni. I say that it's a chunk of the time not so noisy, occasionally (like after every 2/3 mins) it can get louder/faster fan, but that fairly soon disappears (lasts perhaps about 10-15s). Roughly 50 degrees celsius CPU temp. CPU usage even sometimes being as low as 2%. 16% just witnessed, and 5% before that. 78% can spike up if you quickly open up Facebook + Google Maps tabs on Chrome, both of which are media-rich, which did cause fan to become faster/louder. See attached pics plz.
    It's interesting that you've got one image with 68% usage and no boost, compared to before with 33% use and a boost. I'm thinking maybe a specfic app is causing that? Is there an app or group of apps you've used consistently when it has to boost? That could help identify offenders.

Yes, Speccy, the attached pics on the right of Task Manger window, the Speccy window with CPU temp there.I've been using it since summer 2016, and tbh the issue was back then too. Got it off my bro, who said that it's just like that. I think total age of this laptop is perhaps 1-2 yrs.
    Is that the temperature when you were getting fan noise? So around 50 degrees? That's not an unusual temperature, I'm getting that sort of number now. So the issue there may relate to how the fan control software has been coded. Could be an aggressive fan curve that starts trying to cool at lower temps. Or it could also be related to the age of the laptop and components. The laptop may only be 2 years old but the i5 in it is from 2012. Cooling has come a decent way in 4 years.

A full scan, so I doubt it's that being the issue.
    From what you've said and provided I'd have to agree, malware seems unlikely. That said from a security perspective don't rely on full system scans to keep you secure. If you've got something hiding from your OS then odds are antivirus software won't have an easy job dealing with it.

Well, back then, there was NO Chrome actually open, and that's the very surprising thing actually! Just task manager - see OP, first pic there, see bottom, how it's just task manager open, no Chrome at all! I even then had no Box Sync background service running too.

Currently, I've got {Chrome browser (2 windows open, 8 and 6 tabs respectively, neither of which are media-rich(e.g. YouTube, FB, G Maps etc kind I mean) + Box Sync and f.lux running in background + Windows Photo viewer + 1 file explorer window} open + Task Manager + Speccy} open. All processes currently are shown on 6 images that I've attached. Thanks for your help.
    Nothing looks hugely odd in the screenshots, pretty high RAM usage which is consistent with Chrome and loads of tabs. So the system is under some load. If the fan is coded to power up based on system load or something rather than purely on temps that could explain why the fan is so loud.

it appears that, currently, with 26% CPU usage, 2.45GHz, fan appears to continually spin fast and loud.

EDIT: I've got 2 PDFs on Chrome open that I'm reading through, in case that's got any influence with CPU usage, I doubt much if any,,,

The sleep/wakeup of laptop caused the fan to go spin fast and loud, any ideas why? 67 degrees Celcius CPU temp, even reached 69 at one point, 35% CPU usage, 3.00GHz. Thanks for any help. Here's a pic of current state:
    I'd expect the fan to be spinning up at close to 70 degrees, that is getting a little toasty and I'm not entirely sure how normal that is. It's fairly high for web browsing nowadays but for an older CPU like yours that could be normal.

Personally I think it's a mixture of things. One potential cause that I haven't rementioned is the thermal paste on the CPU. If it needs replacing it's going to affect your temps. You'll get higher than normal temps and lots of fan noise.

In terms of everything else though I think it's just a combination of bad factors. Aggressive fan curve (try controlling it with fan software), older CPU which has to work harder and will get hotter, potentially bad design (using the RAM a lot will generate heat which needs to be dealt with) and so on. The real issue though is that the system thinks the fan needs to be on. And it probably does. Laptop fans generally are really loud so there's not an awful lot you can do about that. You can do everything you can to make the OS and all your apps more lightweight to conserve performance but beyond that I'm not really sure there's much more you can realistically do.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.