The Student Room Group

Laptop issue here - CPU + fan

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-350V5C-15-6-inch-Laptop-Silver/dp/B009SJCX5Y
That's the laptop I've got here.

Trouble is, its heatsink fan seems to be perhaps @ its fastest speed and being noisy is annoying to hear. Irritating to hear when trying to concentrate on either uni work or job apps. Also, running many tabs open on Chrome, something that I find myself frequently doing for sure, awkwardly occasionally can make things laggy e.g. mouse stops moving for a while or it just disappears or even scrolling can't work a little while etc.

I've already tried 2 scans to check for viruses - Windows Defender + Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, neither of which helped.

Reboot of laptop hasn't helped, even with Box Sync in the background closed fails to help. See attached pics plz. These pics, they show task manager with no Box Sync, Chrome, file explorer etc windows running in the background. What I find surprising and suspect to be perhaps the actual issue, is how if you look @2nd pic, "CPU @ 2.50 GHz" you see, and that 2.50 GHz is clearly exceeded by the 3.03 GHz speed of presumably the CPU/processor. I THINK this may be the issue. Have no idea why this is - as mentioned, no other stuff at all (like Box Sync service in background, windows of Chrome loaded with tabs, file explorer windows, etc) I'm running at all.

THANKS
Reply 1
Original post by krisshP
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-350V5C-15-6-inch-Laptop-Silver/dp/B009SJCX5Y
That's the laptop I've got here.

Trouble is, its heatsink fan seems to be perhaps @ its fastest speed and being noisy is annoying to hear. Irritating to hear when trying to concentrate on either uni work or job apps. Also, running many tabs open on Chrome, something that I find myself frequently doing for sure, awkwardly occasionally can make things laggy e.g. mouse stops moving for a while or it just disappears or even scrolling can't work a little while etc.

I've already tried 2 scans to check for viruses - Windows Defender + Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, neither of which helped.

Reboot of laptop hasn't helped, even with Box Sync in the background closed fails to help. See attached pics plz. These pics, they show task manager with no Box Sync, Chrome, file explorer etc windows running in the background. What I find surprising and suspect to be perhaps the actual issue, is how if you look @2nd pic, "CPU @ 2.50 GHz" you see, and that 2.50 GHz is clearly exceeded by the 3.03 GHz speed of presumably the CPU/processor. I THINK this may be the issue. Have no idea why this is - as mentioned, no other stuff at all (like Box Sync service in background, windows of Chrome loaded with tabs, file explorer windows, etc) I'm running at all.

THANKS

open it, clean the fan for dust. Sometimes it needs to put extra power to overcome the dust that's stopping it.
Reply 2
Original post by Drunq
open it, clean the fan for dust. Sometimes it needs to put extra power to overcome the dust that's stopping it.

Already tried, like a month ago, didn't help.

I'm under the impression that it'd be an internal thing if you get me, due to that [email protected] GHz being exceeded clearly.:s-smilie::confused::confused::confused:

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
I'd suggest opening it up if it's out of warrantly, using some compressed air to blow out dust and other crap in the fan. If that doesn't work look at reapplying thermal paste as it may have dried up.

Make sure you run a virus / malware scan to make sure you've not got any hidden nasties.
Reply 4
Original post by uncleleech

Original post by Drunq

What sucks up the GHz of CPU/processors?

thanks
Reply 5
Original post by krisshP
What sucks up the GHz of CPU/processors?

thanks

Okay, you can try underclock ur cpu. Make it run at a lower GHz if you only use it for basic programs. - Try opening ur BIOS and look on that.

Also, you could search the make and model of your laptop buy a replacement fan and its easy to install a new one.
Original post by Drunq
Okay, you can try underclock ur cpu. Make it run at a lower GHz if you only use it for basic programs. - Try opening ur BIOS and look on that.

Also, you could search the make and model of your laptop buy a replacement fan and its easy to install a new one.

I would avoid this for the time being, we don't know whats triggering the turbo.

Try installing something like speedfan and seeing the temps. I'd still recommend a virus scan just in case.
Reply 7
[QUOTE=uncleleech;68077996]I would avoid this for the time being, we don't know whats triggering the turbo.

Try installing something like speedfan and seeing the temps. I'd still recommend a virus scan just in case.

If he doesn't need the turbo . I'd turn it off for now in BIOS and suggest doing a full PC reinstall
Reply 8
So which internet browser you using instead? I remember how once I opened a number of tabs on Opera, Firefox and Chrome, and then compared through task manager which occupies least memory, and Chrome was the winner. BUT, looking back, I don't remember looking at which occupied lowest CPU % consumption.

Any ideas why it did such turboing despite just 33% usage? @ that time, I had no Box Sync, Chrome, File Explorer, Windows Photo Viewer etc windows open up/running at all, and was just following a reboot!

Next day, aka today, morning - had: {Chrome browser (2 windows open) + 1 MS Word window + Box Sync running in background + Windows Photo viewer + 1 file explorer window} open, in the middle of calling someone from my mobile (with laptop in front and me not touching it during the call). What's weird, is how for some time, fan was continuously noisy and spinning very fast. Then, all of a sudden during my call, it just out of nowhere had calmed down, no such noise of fan thereafter. After, put laptop in hibernate, then turned it up after uni. I say that it's a chunk of the time not so noisy, occasionally (like after every 2/3 mins) it can get louder/faster fan, but that fairly soon disappears (lasts perhaps about 10-15s). Roughly 50 degrees celsius CPU temp. CPU usage even sometimes being as low as 2%. 16% just witnessed, and 5% before that. 78% can spike up if you quickly open up Facebook + Google Maps tabs on Chrome, both of which are media-rich, which did cause fan to become faster/louder. See attached pics plz.

Yes, Speccy, the attached pics on the right of Task Manger window, the Speccy window with CPU temp there.I've been using it since summer 2016, and tbh the issue was back then too. Got it off my bro, who said that it's just like that. I think total age of this laptop is perhaps 1-2 yrs.

A full scan, so I doubt it's that being the issue.

Well, back then, there was NO Chrome actually open, and that's the very surprising thing actually! Just task manager - see OP, first pic there, see bottom, how it's just task manager open, no Chrome at all! I even then had no Box Sync background service running too.

Currently, I've got {Chrome browser (2 windows open, 8 and 6 tabs respectively, neither of which are media-rich(e.g. YouTube, FB, G Maps etc kind I mean) + Box Sync and f.lux running in background + Windows Photo viewer + 1 file explorer window} open + Task Manager + Speccy} open. All processes currently are shown on 6 images that I've attached. Thanks for your help.
Reply 9
after wakeup.PNG

^^^ after wakeup of laptop
Reply 10
it appears that, currently, with 26% CPU usage, 2.45GHz, fan appears to continually spin fast and loud. :frown:

EDIT: I've got 2 PDFs on Chrome open that I'm reading through, in case that's got any influence with CPU usage, I doubt much if any,,,

The sleep/wakeup of laptop caused the fan to go spin fast and loud, any ideas why? 67 degrees Celcius CPU temp, even reached 69 at one point, 35% CPU usage, 3.00GHz. Thanks for any help. Here's a pic of current state:after sleep wakeup.PNG
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending