Compositions

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Let f be a \mathbb{N} \rightarrow \mathbb{N} function defined by

f(n) =\begin{Bmatrix}2n+1\ \ \ \ \ \mathrm{if}\ n>10, \\ 2n-2\ \ \ \ \ \ \mathrm{if} \ 0<n<10,

How would I go about solving f \circ f?

Any hints? I'm aware that this means f(f(n)) but I just don't know how to go about solving this.

(I made this question up btw, the actual question is different but if I can understand what goes on here I can probably do the actual question)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edothero)
    Let f be a \mathbb{N} \rightarrow \mathbb{N} function defined by

f(n) =\begin{Bmatrix}2n+1\ \ \ \ \ \mathrm{if}\ n>10, \\ 2n-2\ \ \ \ \ \ \mathrm{if} \ 0<n<10,

How would I go about solving f \circ f?

Any hints? I'm aware that this means f(f(n)) but I just don't know how to go about solving this.

(I made this question up btw, the actual question is different but if I can understand what goes on here I can probably do the actual question)
    The question you made up would need adusting since it's not a function (elements from the domain aren't mapped anywhere) and f \circ f wouldn't be defined for the full domain.

Try this function instead with domain \mathbb{Z}.

f(x) = \begin{cases}

x+2, \ x<-1 \\

x-1, \ x\geq -1

\end{cases}

We'll start by trying different inputs e.g. a negative number like -10:

Inputting -10 into f gives -8. Then input that into f again and we get -6.

What's happening is we're getting f(f(x)) = f(x+2) = (x+2) + 2 = x+4.

But what happens if we start with an input of -3. Putting that into f gives -1 and putting the result into f gives -2.

What's happening here is f(f(x)) = f(x+2) = (x+2)-1 = x + 1.

Try to think about all the different cases. Post all your ideas/working if you get stuck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    The question you made up would need adusting since it's not a function (elements from the domain aren't mapped anywhere) and...
    So I've tried inputting various values and I've ended up with 4 cases:

f(f(x)) = f(x+2) = (x+2)+2 = x + 4

f(f(x)) = f(x+2) = (x+2)-1 = x + 1

f(f(x)) = f(x+2) = (x-1)+2 = x + 1

f(f(x)) = f(x+2) = (x-1)-1 = x - 2

Though I'm not sure how the domain will be effected in each case;

For example:

f(-2) = -2+2 = 0
    f(0) = 0-1 = -1

The input: -2<-1 but the output:  -1 \not< -1

Quite confused right now :laugh: (I study Computer Science, not Maths)

ReputationRep:
    Essentially, you need to be worrying about the range of f as well.

So, looking at the first part of the function (the x+2 part) you need to know when that goes into the first part, and when that goes into the second part.

So for x+2 < -1 your f \circ f = (x+2) + 2 = x+4. This is your function. You only put x+2 into x+2 when both x+2 < -1 \iff x < -3 and when x < -1. So we fill in:

f = x+4 when x<-3 (since that's when both conditions are fulfilled).

This is because, for the first choice of which part of function to use, we look at what our x is, if it's less than -1, then we put it into x+2. We get an output from this, the output is x+2 (but remember that x < -1), we want to put this output into the function again. We need to look at what the output is. If the output is less than -1, then it goes into the first part of the function again. So if x+2 < -1 (which is the same as x<-3) then it goes into x+2 so you get (x+2) + 2 whenever x < -3.

Now you repeat this process, when x &lt; -1, you get an output x+2 that you want to put into the function again. This time, you want to put it into the second part of the function. This means your ouput x+2 \geq -1 so x \geq -3 (along with x < -1) means that if you start with x satisfying those constraints, you put it into the first part of the function the first time around, get an output that tells you to put it into the second part of the function. So whenever -3 \leq  x &lt;-1 your function is (x+2) - 1 = x+1.

Now we look at the second part of your function, we only use it when x \geq -1. When this happens, we get an output x-1. We want to see whether to put this output into the first part of the function or the second.

Whenever x -1 &lt; -1 \iff x &lt; 0 happens, we put it into the second part of the function. So we get f(x) = (x-1) + 2 = x+1 whenever x &lt; 0 (along with x\geq -1) which combined together gives you -1 \leq x &lt; 0.

See if you can figure this bit out yourself:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    You want to see when you put the second part of your function into the second part of your function. This means you have an x, it's x \geq -1. You get an output x-1. If this output is \geq -1, you compose it with the second bit of your function again.

So you get f(x) = (x-1) - 1 = x-2 when both x \geq -1 and x-1 \geq -1 which combined together gives x \geq 0.

(sorry for stealing your example notnek)

Putting all of that together, our function is:
    Spoiler:
    Show

\displaystyle

\begin{equation*}f(x) = \begin{cases} x+4, \, \, \, \,  x&lt;-3 \\ x+1,  \, \, \, \, -3 \leq x &lt; -1 \\ x+1,  \, \, \, \, -1 \leq x &lt; 0 \\ x-2, \, \, \, \, x \geq 0  \end{cases}\end{equation*}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Essentially, you need to be worrying about the range of f as well.

So, looking at the first part...
    This is quite a good explanation! Thanks a ton. I was able to answer the original question; whether it's correct or not: time will tell :laugh:. Or you can be a bae and check it for me (its not assesed material).

How is Cambridge treating you btw?

Also thanks to notnek for the kick-start!

ReputationRep:
    This is quite a good explanation! Thanks a ton. I was able to answer the original question; whether it's correct or not: time will tell :laugh:. Or you can be a bae and check it for me (its not assesed material).

Also thanks to notnek for the kick-start!
    Sure, I'm going to bed at 2:00, so if you get it up quickly, I'll have a look at it.

ReputationRep:
    Sure, I'm going to bed at 2:00, so if you get it up quickly, I'll have a look at it.
    Can't seem to make the Latex work, if I end up posting it you can check it when you're free tomorrow.

Have a good sleep!

ReputationRep:
    Can't seem to make the Latex work, if I end up posting it you can check it when you're free tomorrow.

Have a good sleep!
    Just take a picture of it on paper or something or even write it out without latex, doesn't matter

thanks, you too

ReputationRep:
    Just take a picture of it on paper or something or even write it out without latex, doesn't matter

thanks, you too
    Lmaooo well, lets just say I forgot to post it, but if you're still interested:

Question:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Let f be a \mathbb{N} \rightarrow \mathbb{N} function defined by:

f(n) = n-1 when n &gt; 5
    f(n) = n+1 when 0 &lt; n \leq 5

Find f \circ f
    Answer
    Spoiler:
    Show
    f(n) = n-2 when n&gt;6
    f(n) = n when 5&lt;n \leq 6
    f(n) = n when 4&lt;n \leq 5
    f(n) = n+2 when -1\leq n \leq 4

ReputationRep:
    Lmaooo well, lets just say I forgot to post it, but if you're still interested:

Question:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Let f be a \mathbb{N} \rightarrow \mathbb{N} function defined by:

f(n) = n-1 when n &gt; 5
    f(n) = n+1 when 0 &lt; n \leq 5

Find f \circ f
    Answer
    Spoiler:
    Show
    f(n) = n-2 when n&gt;6
    f(n) = n when 5&lt;n \leq 6
    f(n) = n when 4&lt;n \leq 5
    f(n) = n+2 when -1\leq n \leq 4
    A few comments:

1. Remember that you can collect the two middle functions together to get f(n) = n when 4 &lt; n \leqg 6

2. You can immediately tell that the last part of your function is wrong, since it's mapping -1 to something, but -1 is not even in your domain! The problem is that you're forgetting to put together the conditions on n. n+1 goes into n+1 when TWO things are true. First, you need 0 &lt;n \leq 5 to hold so that you choose n+1 in the first place, you then get an output of n+1 (remembering that 0 &lt; n \leq 5) and then you put that back into n+1 if the output 0 &lt; n+1 \leq 5 holds.

So f(n) = n+2 when you have (i) 0 &lt; n \leq 5 and (ii) -1 &lt; n \leq 4 which can be cleaned up as 0 &lt; n \leq 4.

ReputationRep:
    A few comments:
    Thank you as always, I can imagine you're quite swamped with work at Cambridge so I appreciate taking time out to help :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you as always, I can imagine you're quite swamped with work at Cambridge so I appreciate taking time out to help :yy:
    No problemo! And this is a good way of procrastinating on my four example sheets due in.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read here first

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.