Quiet guy-what career?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Basically I'm doing my first year of uni (statistics and finance) and I don't really know what career I wanna do. I tend to be quiet or reserved but I do talk a lot with friends. It's just that I would prefer to do a job that involves a large amount of independent work and not always communicating with clients. Something in the financial type of career would be nice. I've been considering actuary, accounting, finance department but I'm not sure whether these jobs are fine for more reserved people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by showmethat)
    Basically I'm doing my first year of uni (statistics and finance) and I don't really know what career I wanna do. I tend to be quiet or reserved but I do talk a lot with friends. It's just that I would prefer to do a job that involves a large amount of independent work and not always communicating with clients. Something in the financial type of career would be nice. I've been considering actuary, accounting, finance department but I'm not sure whether these jobs are fine for more reserved people?
    To be honest, a lot of jobs in finance involve being banged up in an office behind a computer screen which is going to suit you, but you will have to speak to staff from time to time.

hamza ahmad hamzaahmad786 luton hertfordshire

ReputationRep:
    whatever job you do in finance (and generally everything) will have you communicating with clients/others, whether your client is your boss/regulators/other departments.. so i would focus on working on your confidence and general aptitude and strive for a career you're interested in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    whatever job you do in finance (and generally everything) will have you communicating with clients/others, whether your client is your boss/regulators/other departments.. so i would focus on working on your confidence and general aptitude and strive for a career you're interested in
    Yeah thanks, I've been looking at it all wrong. I should be working on improving my confidence and going for a career in financial services which is what I'm interested in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by showmethat)
    Yeah thanks, I've been looking at it all wrong. I should be working on improving my confidence and going for a career in financial services which is what I'm interested in.
    Glad you realised that, kudos 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Glad you realised that, kudos 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I know
    Thankfully I am improving a bit more at uni. At school I used to stick to my close group of friends and not talk much to everyone else but now I'm meeting more peeps and getting out there. Will be working in a call centre part time as well which will improve my confidence more hopefully

ReputationRep:
    The world is yours.. if you dare~

In the past successful business people were seen to be exuberant extroverts with strong personalities and they were role models for generations and generations.

And then people like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs came along.. ~

Timidity is a trait of character but that does not mean that there are jobs or things not for you...

You can do anything...you don't have to do things like everyone~

Truestory~ :3

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.