Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Are there any more career choices like these ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello ,
    I am studying Bsc Psychology with cognitive neuroscience and I'm a first year. I want to know what careers I can go into , with consideration that Im definitely going to study a Phd too. So basically I want the careers I want to go into to require a Phd and typically require a master in neuroscience. But if u have other suggestions I definitely want to hear !

So far I have spent hours researching and have gotten the following
    - clinical neuropsychologist
    -clinical neuropshictarist( Kcl)
    - clinical neuroscientist ( kcl)
    - Phd in psychological medicine ( kcl, no idea what career this leads to )
    - neuropsychologist
    - cognitive neuroscientist Or neuroscientist (dk the difference)
    - counselling neuropsychologist - this is something I am really interested in , does this exist ?

The thing is I was supposed to study neuroscience but I didn't get the grades.
    I want to go into a career that I could have gone into if I studied neuroscience Bsc if that makes sense. Which is why on the above choices there is a lot of neuro/ neuroscientist career choices.

Thank you !!!

ReputationRep:
    You can't be a psychiatrist without a degree in medicine. The rest, you need a doctorate for (DClinPsy) - this is NOT a PhD by the way. If you want to be a scientist, that requires a PhD.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    You can't be a psychiatrist without a degree in medicine. The rest, you need a doctorate for (DClinPsy) - this is NOT a PhD by the way. If you want to be a scientist, that requires a PhD.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Omgggg thank you for being so informative! What is the main difference between neuropsychology and cognitive neuroscience / neuroscience? Also how do you become a neuroscientist with a psychology degree?And last question !! Sorry 😭😭😭 also is there such a thing as counselling neuropsychology??

Thank you so much !! You've already been so helpful !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neuroash)
    Omgggg thank you for being so informative! What is the main difference between neuropsychology and cognitive neuroscience / neuroscience? Also how do you become a neuroscientist with a psychology degree?And last question !! Sorry 😭😭😭 also is there such a thing as counselling neuropsychology??

Thank you so much !! You've already been so helpful !
    This is the difference between what you ask:
    http://neuropsychologyprograms.com/2...-vs-cognitive/

You need to do a PhD in neuroscience if you want to be a scientist and go into research. Do you want to do research?

No, counselling neuropsychology doesn't exist because counselling assumes that a client's problem isn't biological. "Neuro" assumes a biological aspect.

Counselling and research are two VERY DIFFERENT things. Think really carefully about what you like.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    This is the difference between what you ask:
    http://neuropsychologyprograms.com/2...-vs-cognitive/

You need to do a PhD in neuroscience if you want to be a scientist and go into research. Do you want to do research?

No, counselling neuropsychology doesn't exist because counselling assumes that a client's problem isn't biological. "Neuro" assumes a biological aspect.

Counselling and research are two VERY DIFFERENT things. Think really carefully about what you like.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm tied between neuropsychologist and a clinical neuroscientist what would be the steps involved in becoming a a clinical neuroscientist .
    Also I think I'll go into something that's more research/ clinical if that makes sense
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm tied between neuropsychologist and a clinical neuroscientist what would be the steps involved in becoming a a clinical neuroscientist .
    Also I think I'll go into something that's more research/ clinical if that makes sense
    A PhD and a job offer either in the NHS or some private health org

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    A PhD and a job offer either in the NHS or some private health org

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Phd in what ? And what major would u recommend ?

ReputationRep:
    Phd in what ? And what major would u recommend ?
    Realistically, I think you should take a look on this website linked below:
    https://nationalcareersservice.direc...ages/Home.aspx

There is barely a career that isn't listed on that site. It also tells you what qualifications are generally needed, salaries, popularity of the job in recent years, etc.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShannyMorrison)
    Realistically, I think you should take a look on this website linked below:
    https://nationalcareersservice.direc...ages/Home.aspx

There is barely a career that isn't listed on that site. It also tells you what qualifications are generally needed, salaries, popularity of the job in recent years, etc.
    There are a fair amount of careers not listed and some of the information is inaccurate.For giving a general idea, however, it's great.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    There are a fair amount of careers not listed and some of the information is inaccurate.For giving a general idea, however, it's great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In which case I'll straight up apologise for any inaccuracies I said, but I've truly never searched for a career on there and not found it. I guess OP needs to find out for themselves

As for the inaccurate information, I gathered that it was because it was based on national averages so there's only so much accuracy they could have anyway, but I'd say it's been a tremendous help.

I even discovered some careers I never even knew existed.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.