Are there any more career choices like these ?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hello ,
    I am studying Bsc Psychology with cognitive neuroscience and I'm a first year. I want to know what careers I can go into , with consideration that Im definitely going to study a Phd too. So basically I want the careers I want to go into to require a Phd and typically require a master in neuroscience. But if u have other suggestions I definitely want to hear !

So far I have spent hours researching and have gotten the following
    - clinical neuropsychologist
    -clinical neuropshictarist( Kcl)
    - clinical neuroscientist ( kcl)
    - Phd in psychological medicine ( kcl, no idea what career this leads to )
    - neuropsychologist
    - cognitive neuroscientist Or neuroscientist (dk the difference)
    - counselling neuropsychologist - this is something I am really interested in , does this exist ?

The thing is I was supposed to study neuroscience but I didn't get the grades.
    I want to go into a career that I could have gone into if I studied neuroscience Bsc if that makes sense. Which is why on the above choices there is a lot of neuro/ neuroscientist career choices.

Thank you !!!

You can't be a psychiatrist without a degree in medicine. The rest, you need a doctorate for (DClinPsy) - this is NOT a PhD by the way. If you want to be a scientist, that requires a PhD.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    You can't be a psychiatrist without a degree in medicine. The rest, you need a doctorate for (DClinPsy) - this is NOT a PhD by the way. If you want to be a scientist, that requires a PhD.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Omgggg thank you for being so informative! What is the main difference between neuropsychology and cognitive neuroscience / neuroscience? Also how do you become a neuroscientist with a psychology degree?And last question !! Sorry 😭😭😭 also is there such a thing as counselling neuropsychology??

Thank you so much !! You've already been so helpful !

(Original post by neuroash)
    Omgggg thank you for being so informative! What is the main difference between neuropsychology and cognitive neuroscience / neuroscience? Also how do you become a neuroscientist with a psychology degree?And last question !! Sorry 😭😭😭 also is there such a thing as counselling neuropsychology??

Thank you so much !! You've already been so helpful !
    This is the difference between what you ask:
    http://neuropsychologyprograms.com/2...-vs-cognitive/

You need to do a PhD in neuroscience if you want to be a scientist and go into research. Do you want to do research?

No, counselling neuropsychology doesn't exist because counselling assumes that a client's problem isn't biological. "Neuro" assumes a biological aspect.

Counselling and research are two VERY DIFFERENT things. Think really carefully about what you like.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    This is the difference between what you ask:
    http://neuropsychologyprograms.com/2...-vs-cognitive/

You need to do a PhD in neuroscience if you want to be a scientist and go into research. Do you want to do research?

No, counselling neuropsychology doesn't exist because counselling assumes that a client's problem isn't biological. "Neuro" assumes a biological aspect.

Counselling and research are two VERY DIFFERENT things. Think really carefully about what you like.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm tied between neuropsychologist and a clinical neuroscientist what would be the steps involved in becoming a a clinical neuroscientist .
    Also I think I'll go into something that's more research/ clinical if that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    I'm tied between neuropsychologist and a clinical neuroscientist what would be the steps involved in becoming a a clinical neuroscientist .
    Also I think I'll go into something that's more research/ clinical if that makes sense
    A PhD and a job offer either in the NHS or some private health org

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    A PhD and a job offer either in the NHS or some private health org

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Phd in what ? And what major would u recommend ?

ReputationRep:
    Phd in what ? And what major would u recommend ?
    Realistically, I think you should take a look on this website linked below:
    https://nationalcareersservice.direc...ages/Home.aspx

There is barely a career that isn't listed on that site. It also tells you what qualifications are generally needed, salaries, popularity of the job in recent years, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShannyMorrison)
    Realistically, I think you should take a look on this website linked below:
    https://nationalcareersservice.direc...ages/Home.aspx

There is barely a career that isn't listed on that site. It also tells you what qualifications are generally needed, salaries, popularity of the job in recent years, etc.
    There are a fair amount of careers not listed and some of the information is inaccurate.For giving a general idea, however, it's great.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    There are a fair amount of careers not listed and some of the information is inaccurate.For giving a general idea, however, it's great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In which case I'll straight up apologise for any inaccuracies I said, but I've truly never searched for a career on there and not found it. I guess OP needs to find out for themselves

As for the inaccurate information, I gathered that it was because it was based on national averages so there's only so much accuracy they could have anyway, but I'd say it's been a tremendous help.

I even discovered some careers I never even knew existed.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.