Applying to foundation art with graphic design portfolio?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in applying to one or two foundation art courses however I studied graphic design as my creative subject at college and for the course all our work and research is on A3 sheets of paper (no sketchbooks). This means I'm sort of stuck for my portfolio as they ask for a sketchbook and I don't have one. I bought one but I'm hesitant about starting to use it as I'm not even sure what I should be putting in it!!! do I need to transfer my research and drawings for my projects into this sketchbook or should I begin using this sketchbook for little observational drawings and extra stuff and just leave all past work how it is??? I'm so confused please help lol

ReputationRep:
    Honestly don't worry about it, I'm taking foundation degree for graphic design at UEL (first year so only been here like 4 weeks). Had a tiny portfolio mostly full of photography work and was given a place at my interview, they just want to see that you're capable, so being everything you possibly can, and try to include a bit of everything (drawing, digital work, photography etc.). The course is great, you meet a lot of people studying different art foundations as all types of art degree are mixed (more or less) during the first year. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Molly, I am the course leader for Graphic Design at UEL and what we look for from foundation students is a keenness to explore and push your ideas. I would say if you have not used a sketch book before then don't make it up. Simply show the work you have done in a straight forward way. We don’t want to see piles/collections of paper with drawings. We want to see that you care for your work so try to present it in a nice easy to see way. If they are A3, could you put them together in a folder? If your development work has also been on A3, think about collecting that up and also putting into a nice folder. Avoid anything loose. If you need more advise please contact us. My name is Dan Duran

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.