Canadians Applicants UM/2017

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
Admissions Testing Service Exams Discussion Rules - Please read before posting! 02-11-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hey Everyone,

Thought I'd make discussion for all International Canadian applicants considering the University of Manchester for 2017.

At the present time I have applied to study Law (LLB) to the following Universities:

- Edinburgh
    - Liverpool
    - Manchester
    - Leicester
    - Birmingham

It would be quite interesting to see if there are any other Canadians considering the University of Manchester next year.
    What provinces are many of you planning to apply from?

ReputationRep:
    Hey there ALK96,

I am Canadian too. I am from Winnipeg, Manitoba. I will be applying to the University of Manchester as well but not for Law. Will be applying for the teaching program PGCE. How are you finding the application process thus far?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giggs111989)
    Hey there ALK96,

I am Canadian too. I am from Winnipeg, Manitoba. I will be applying to the University of Manchester as well but not for Law. Will be applying for the teaching program PGCE. How are you finding the application process thus far?
    Hey there Giggs,

I am from London, Ontario. The application process has been relatively straightforward, that being said I wish someone had cautioned me of a few things before having sent off my UCAS application. Apparently they seem to be much less flexible than OUAC. Namely by not being able to add a (sixth) University selection and not being able to swap/delete after 14 days.

At the time I filled out my application, I had sent a question regarding my possible admission to the University of Oxford. However, by the time I heard back from the University, my application on UCAS tracker had already surpassed the 14-day deadline to exchange any options. Had that not been the case, I would have been likely to have tried my luck at Oxford.

I have since tried talking to both UCAS and Oxford regarding a direct entry, however they have essentially both declined to help.

At the present time, I am considering applying to Oxford's B.C.L program after my three year LLB. So, I might still have a chance at attending the University but unfortunately, it will likely not be an undergraduate experience.

Will you be intending to return to Canada following your PGCE program?

ReputationRep:
    Will you be intending to return to Canada following your PGCE program?[/QUOTE]

I have no plans to return to Canada in the immediate future unless the hiring dynamics change drastically in the teaching field. If it does change, I will love to teach and work in BC as that's the only province I can realistically envision myself living in within Canada. Also, I love being able to travel while I work/teach in a different country, (being doing so with my ESL teaching since 2007), so that's why I am wanting to do my PGCE so I can work at any international school around the world.

Currently I am teaching and living in Saudi Arabia, and needless to say the lifestyle isn't that great and as a foreigner you can't really travel to certain places around the country. So I am hoping once I finish my PGCE to head to Europe and hopefully get into an international school in either the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium or Switzerland.

If none of that pans out, I will just head back either to Australia or Asia again, as I have taught all across Asia and lived there for 6+ and lived n Australia for 3+...so we shall see what happens, but first thing is to get accepted.

What about your self? Will you return back to Canada after you finish your law degree or would you like to stay in the UK for a while?

ReputationRep:
    What about your self? Will you return back to Canada after you finish your law degree or would you like to stay in the UK for a while?

I will be going back to Canada, primarily because of my present family situation.

However, as you may (or may not) know, a Law Degree in Canada requires admission to a professional school. It generally takes upwards of 7-8 years to graduate. (Not including the Call to the Bar)

In my particular case, I am not looking to practice right out of Law School. For a variety of reasons, including but not limited to, the notion of a foreign degree being a bit of a stigma back home.

For that reason, I will likely be pursing graduate degrees. Either from Oxbridge or a Canadian Institution and likely will follow up with a Doctorate program. I would like to teach for a few years, and develop some connections to run my own practice. Luckily, I speak more than one language. Which has enabled me to develop some connections already. While it may seem like a relatively long path, achieving three degrees including a doctorate for the purposes of academia will surprisingly take relatively the same amount of time as someone just graduating with a Law Degree in Canada.

This isn't to say this is a guaranteed approach. In many ways, this is far off the well worn path. There will be a few hurdles I’ll need to deal with, including some qualification procedures. However, after some deep research I’ve come to the conclusion that the UK route is fruitful, but it requires a rather disciplined approach that will need to extend beyond the classroom.

Getting accepted is indeed the first step. However, I am rather concerned about the "international recognition" of Manchester.
    Which is why I am currently debating between Edinburgh and Manchester, in terms of both reputation and education rankings.

What made you choose Manchester?

ReputationRep:
    Manchester wasn't my top pick, in fact, it wasn't even in my top 10. However, some of the schools I wanted to apply too want specific and mandatory criterias that I don't qualify for, such as having an honours undergraduate degree which I don't have.

Also, I find that schools in the North like Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, etc., are far cheaper for tuition and cost of living than schools in London or in the south or England, so that's something to keep in mind as well.

I came across this site http://canadalawfromabroad.com and thought of you...have you seen it before?

ReputationRep:
    Hello. My name is Enala (from Toronto, Ontario), applying for LLB Law for September 201 entry. I have got some good news myself. The University of Sheffield has given me a conditional offer. Asking for 36 IB points with a 5 in English. So that is 3 out of 5. So this is how I understand with my offers:

1. The University of Liverpool
    Conditional offer asking fro 32 IB points, a 5 in Maths and no subject less than 4.
    Offer received on October 13, 2016

2. The University of Manchester
    Conditional offer asking for 32 IB points with 6, 6, 6 in higher level subjects and a 5 in English
    Offer received on October 26, 2016

3. TheUniversity of Sheffield
    Conditional offer asking 36 IB points with a 5 in English

4. University of Leeds
    Offer pending

5. Manchester Metropolitan University
    Offer pending but I think I will remove it from my UCAS choices if I do not hear from them soon - this was my backup

Any idea which one I should choose?

I have dual citizenship, Canadian and British. I want to work for at least two years before coming back to Canada.

Enala

ReputationRep:
    Manchester wasn't my top pick, in fact, it wasn't even in my top 10. However, some of the schools I wanted to apply too want specific and mandatory criterias that I don't qualify for, such as having an honours undergraduate degree which I don't have.

Also, I find that schools in the North like Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, etc., are far cheaper for tuition and cost of living than schools in London or in the south or England, so that's something to keep in mind as well.

I came across this site http://canadalawfromabroad.com and thought of you...have you seen it before?
    Hi Giggs,

My apologies for not promptly replying back. I haven't had the time to log back into this site.

That being said, I have come across that link and I am often wary of sites such as this. Information regarding any post-secondary course in the United Kingdom is readily available through UCAS, I don't quite see the need for a such a service.

However, I am still unsure of the type of business they are running. It wouldn't be a complete surprise that many of these companies prey on International students for financial gain.

You're most definitely right regarding the tuition expenses and costs of living. At the present time, I am planning to completely self-finance my tuition/living expenses. It is of importance that I remain debt-free. It's always nice to have some breathing room.

If money had not been an issue for me, I would have likely applied to Oxford University and LSE. However, Universities like Oxford cost up to ($41,235 CAD) a year in tuition alone. In three years, I would likely be paying well over $150,000. I simply don't have the budget for that. Although, I might have still applied and re-evaluated my position but that's all hypothetical.

Manchester and Edinburgh have solid reputations internationally and would cost substantially less in both cost of living and tuition. This is partly the reason why so very few international students attend Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    Final Chapter:
    Liverpool, asking for 32 IB points at least a 5 in Maths(S/L)
    Manchester, asking for 32 IB points, 6,6,6 in higher level subjects and at least a 5 in English
    Sheffield, asking for 36 IB points, 6,6,6 in higher level subjects and at least a 5 in English
    Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU), asking for 26 IB points
    Leeds, asking for 35 IB points, 6,6,5 in higher level subjects and at least a 4 in English

So that is 5 out 5.
    I will take my time to firm. Learning towards Liverpool and Manchester.

Enala

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emwanza)
    Hello. My name is Enala (from Toronto, Ontario), applying for LLB Law for September 201 entry. I have got some good news myself. The University of Sheffield has given me a conditional offer. Asking for 36 IB points with a 5 in English. So that is 3 out of 5. So this is how I understand with my offers:

1. The University of Liverpool
    Conditional offer asking fro 32 IB points, a 5 in Maths and no subject less than 4.
    Offer received on October 13, 2016

2. The University of Manchester
    Conditional offer asking for 32 IB points with 6, 6, 6 in higher level subjects and a 5 in English
    Offer received on October 26, 2016

3. TheUniversity of Sheffield
    Conditional offer asking 36 IB points with a 5 in English

4. University of Leeds
    Offer pending

5. Manchester Metropolitan University
    Offer pending but I think I will remove it from my UCAS choices if I do not hear from them soon - this was my backup

Any idea which one I should choose?

I have dual citizenship, Canadian and British. I want to work for at least two years before coming back to Canada.

Enala
    Hi Enala,

I can't exactly tell you which University you should attend, that will depend on a variety of factors. You're definitely in a better position than most International applicants, though, by virtue of your dual citizenship. You will not have to worry about a work visa and international tuition rates.

My ultimate advice would be this: If you plan on working in Canada, try your best to attend a Canadian Law School. It makes things much easier.

However, your situation is rather unique. Considering you have a British Passport, I would suggest you plan to work longer than two years in the United Kingdom. For a foreign law graduate coming back to Canada, a main concern will be attaining a placement/articling position. This is especially difficult with a Non-Canadian degree, simply because you will have no networking available and a certain stigma to anticipate upon your return.

That being said, recently the Professional Development & Competence Committee has proposed changes to the licensing procedure in accordance with LSUC for Ontario.

Please try to read the following link:

https://www.lsuc.on.ca/uploadedFiles...tee-Report.pdf

On November 9th, 2016 they will be voting to implement certain changes to the procedure.

Including the following amendment that will apply to you:

"Beginning with the licensing year 2017-2018, internationally-educated
    candidates licensed in a common law jurisdiction, with at least three years of practice experience that addresses the Law Society’s articling competencies, may be exempted from the articling requirement."

For this reason, you should aim to graduate with an LLB and follow through with a practice diploma. Find a placement in the United Kingdom, and work for a total of three years. Doing this will enable you to bypass the articling requirement and provide you with some valuable work experience.

Other than that, I would suggest you focus your University selection criteria on the basis of four things:

1. Law position rankings in the United Kingdom.
    (http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...rankings?s=law)

2. The appropriate cultural/environment you would like to see yourself included in.

3. International social recognition of the University in question.

4. Grading Scale - Course examination procedures and offerings
    (Full year vs semesters)

If you have any other questions, let me know.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Al,
    Thanks for the information. Attending a law school in Canada is not an optional. I do not want to do an undergraduate degree in Canada in some course /degree I have little interest in for 3 years so that I can apply to study law after that, assuming I pass the LSAT. I have a story of somebody I know that sat for LSAT for 3 years before they got admitted to a law school in Canada. Just think about it, you finish you undergraduate that took 3 years to complete and the law school in Canada tells you that they will not consider you for law till you pass LSAT at a satisfactory level. I do not have to deal with that - hopefully, my grades are good enough to get me into a Russel Group University. If I come back to Canada and they are treating me as an inferior, I will just go back to the U.K. Saying that I hope to target international companies (companies that operate both in the U.K and Canada) for my training contract. I embrace my dual nationality, but I feel very much as a Canadian. I cannot tell you how I will feel at the end of the program. I have family in England and that may play a big part in my decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emwanza)
    Hi Al,
    Thanks for the information. Attending a law school in Canada is not an optional. I do not want to do an undergraduate degree in Canada in some course /degree I have little interest in for 3 years so that I can apply to study law after that, assuming I pass the LSAT. I have a story of somebody I know that sat for LSAT for 3 years before they got admitted to a law school in Canada. Just think about it, you finish you undergraduate that took 3 years to complete and the law school in Canada tells you that they will not consider you for law till you pass LSAT at a satisfactory level. I do not have to deal with that - hopefully, my grades are good enough to get me into a Russel Group University. If I come back to Canada and they are treating me as an inferior, I will just go back to the U.K. Saying that I hope to target international companies (companies that operate both in the U.K and Canada) for my training contract. I embrace my dual nationality, but I feel very much as a Canadian. I cannot tell you how I will feel at the end of the program. I have family in England and that may play a big part in my decision.
    Hi Enala,

To each his own, as I mentioned earlier you're definitely in a better position than most International applicants, by virtue of your dual citizenship.

I just want to highlight the fact that in Canada, you deal with the system as it exists, not with the system as it might exist, in a better or fairer world. We all know that countries like Germany, England, France and Switzerland provide the same quality of life and graduate decent Lawyer's without the need of an undergraduate.

That's great... If you intend to practice there than a degree from the United Kingdom will serve you well. However, you do need to be aware of the risks that are present if and when you decide to return to Canada.

You'll be facing an uphill battle and stigma surrounding your decisions. I encourage you to research the topic on your own accord and make the appropriate the decision, because ultimately if you do intend to come back... No one would really even know any of these Universities you plan on attending anyways.

ReputationRep:
    Final Chapter:
    Liverpool, asking for 32 IB points at least a 5 in Maths(S/L)
    Manchester, asking for 32 IB points, 6,6,6 in higher level subjects and at least a 5 in English
    Sheffield, asking for 36 IB points, 6,6,6 in higher level subjects and at least a 5 in English
    Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU), asking for 26 IB points
    Leeds, asking for 35 IB points, 6,6,5 in higher level subjects and at least a 4 in English

So that is 5 out 5.
    I will take my time to firm. Leaning towards Liverpool and Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    Is it difficult to get accepted to the llb program at Manchester university if I havent taken AP courses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yusr.ak)
    Is it difficult to get accepted to the llb program at Manchester university if I havent taken AP courses?
    Not sure but for IB students, they lowered the entry requirements. Last year, they were asking for 37 IB points and sundenly, it has been lowered to 32. Maybe they are trying to recruit more international students. I was surprised to get an offer from them so soon. I have read about a number of students being rejected by Manchester in the past.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.