Thoughts on these Universities?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for universities based on my portfolio and work experience rather than grades, and these are all universities that said they would consider my application.
    Any thoughts on the Universities and/or the cities (particularly clubbing and gigs) would be super useful, as I am not from England.
    • Westminster University - Journalism BA
    • Kingston University - Journalism BA
    • Gloucestershire University - Journalism BA
    • Northampton University - Journalism BA
    • Falmouth University - Either Journalism BA or Journalism and Mass Communication BA
    • Solent University - Journalism BA
    • Nottingham Trent - Journalism BA
    • South Wales - Journalism BA
    Spoiler:
    Show
    My own thoughts on each uni;
    1. Westminster looks lovely, it is in a great (and pretty expensive) area, careers wise it sounds promising, and the course seems great. Only thing is, got told they would get back to me about whether I should apply, and they haven't despite sending them a follow up email.
    2. Kingston's admission tutor did say that he would be happy to consider an application from me and that I should email him around the time I apply with my UCAS number, which I presume is to discuss it in more detail? Did hear some pretty negative things about the university though it does look lovely and course seems nice
    3. Gloucestershire looks beautiful, the course looks ideal and the freshers events look great. Did hear it had pretty bad nightlife, though. They also said I would meet their entry requirements.
    4. Northampton again looks lovely, freshers events look amazing. Course sounds great too. Not too sure on what it is like as a city though? Said I would probably get through to an interview.
    5. Falmouth was originally going to be my number one, I had been told it is a lovely place. However, the night life doesn't look too ideal (including the freshers events)
    6. Solent looks nice, course sounds great, freshers sound fun and did hear it is a nice place for clubbing - if not as good as the bigger cities. Just a generic note that they would consider me
    7. Nottingham Trent looks beautiful, been told by someone who lives in the area that it's good for clubbing and that the Uni is pretty nice (although he studies Medicine). Again another "we would consider you"
    8. Person I spoke to from South Wales was really positive about my chances, said I should apply and attend interview (which he said would probably go well) and then he would explore my options to getting me onto the course (even if it meant doing a Certificate of Higher Education then transferring to 2nd year). Not keen on Wales, but it does look lovely, and seems a good insurance option at least?
    I just can't decide what my top five would be! I want a university that I am going to get a lot out of both in terms of the course itself, social life, and work opportunities. I live in a small town, so I want to go somewhere where there's a lot more going on (although not that that would be too hard!) Yet it seems that the universities I consider to have a good course have an awful nightlife

There are a few other universities that said they would consider me, but these are the ones I am most considering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaCx)
    I am applying for universities based on my portfolio and work experience rather than grades, and these are all universities that said they would consider my application.
    Any thoughts on the Universities and/or the cities (particularly clubbing and gigs) would be super useful, as I am not from England.
    • Falmouth University - Either Journalism BA or Journalism and Mass Communication BA
    Spoiler:
    Show
    1. Westminster looks lovely, it is in a great (and pretty expensive) area, careers wise it sounds promising, and the course seems great. Only thing is, got told they would get back to me about whether I should apply, and they haven't despite sending them a follow up email.
    2. Kingston's admission tutor did say that he would be happy to consider an application from me and that I should email him around the time I apply with my UCAS number, which I presume is to discuss it in more detail? Did hear some pretty negative things about the university though it does look lovely and course seems nice
    3. Gloucestershire looks beautiful, the course looks ideal and the freshers events look great. Did hear it had pretty bad nightlife, though. They also said I would meet their entry requirements.
    4. Northampton again looks lovely, freshers events look amazing. Course sounds great too. Not too sure on what it is like as a city though? Said I would probably get through to an interview.
    5. Falmouth was originally going to be my number one, I had been told it is a lovely place. However, the night life doesn't look too ideal (including the freshers events)
    6. Solent looks nice, course sounds great, freshers sound fun and did hear it is a nice place for clubbing - if not as good as the bigger cities. Just a generic note that they would consider me
    7. Nottingham Trent looks beautiful, been told by someone who lives in the area that it's good for clubbing and that the Uni is pretty nice (although he studies Medicine). Again another "we would consider you"
    8. Person I spoke to from South Wales was really positive about my chances, said I should apply and attend interview (which he said would probably go well) and then he would explore my options to getting me onto the course (even if it meant doing a Certificate of Higher Education then transferring to 2nd year). Not keen on Wales, but it does look lovely, and seems a good insurance option at least?
    I just can't decide what my top five would be! I want a university that I am going to get a lot out of both in terms of the course itself, social life, and work opportunities. I live in a small town, so I want to go somewhere where there's a lot more going on (although not that that would be too hard!) Yet it seems that the universities I consider to have a good course have an awful nightlife

There are a few other universities that said they would consider me, but these are the ones I am most considering.
    Can't say anything about the Uni, but my experience of Northampton, as well as general consensus among people I know, is that it is an absolute dump and a horrible city to visit, never mind live in.

Went on holiday to Falmouth over the Summer and it's definitely a very nice place, but being in Cornwall you'll have to bear in mind it's very isolated from pretty much everywhere else in the country (6 hours on the train to get to London, for instance), and being in the south-west and right by the sea (where England's prevailing winds come from) the weather isn't as nice as you would hope; it's much more likely to rain most days than it is to be sunny. Also, Falmouth really isn't that big of a place and you'd probably run out of things to do fairly quickly.

Nottingham is definitely a nice city, and there's lots to do even outside the night life, which I won't pretend to know anything about. You definitely won't run out of things to do, not compared to Falmouth and Northampton at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atavistic)
    Can't say anything about the Uni, but my experience of Northampton, as well as general consensus among people I know, is that it is an absolute dump and a horrible city to visit, never mind live in.

Went on holiday to Falmouth over the Summer and it's definitely a very nice place, but being in Cornwall you'll have to bear in mind it's very isolated from pretty much everywhere else in the country (6 hours on the train to get to London, for instance), and being in the south-west and right by the sea (where England's prevailing winds come from) the weather isn't as nice as you would hope; it's much more likely to rain most days than it is to be sunny. Also, Falmouth really isn't that big of a place and you'd probably run out of things to do fairly quickly.

Nottingham is definitely a nice city, and there's lots to do even outside the night life, which I won't pretend to know anything about. You definitely won't run out of things to do, not compared to Falmouth and Northampton at least.
    Yeah that was my worry about Falmouth, like the town I live in is really small, but it's like 20-30 mins to bigger cities so I don't mind as much, but the area just seems to be so far away from all the action so to speak. Ah really? Will bear that in mind.
    Nottingham does look so lovely, and was definitely high up on my list (even though it doesn't look it!). I'll most likely put that in my five for UCAS.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

For journalism accreditation and exemption from professional exams is the key to finding a course that will help you to get work within the industry.

ReputationRep:
    I did my degree in Gloucester (at hartpury not Gloucestershire uni) the nightlife in Gloucester is limited to one nightclub and a fair few bars. Cheltenham is about 20 minutes away but you'll need a taxi to get back (£25 but can split between friends etc) and that has like 3 nightclubs.

As for doing things and transport, Gloucester has really good train links to Bristol/London/Cardiff/Birmingham which is really handy. There's a fair amount to keep you busy but not crazy, there was plenty for me for 3 years alongside degree but I don't do that much 😄

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieH1992)
    I did my degree in Gloucester (at hartpury not Gloucestershire uni) the nightlife in Gloucester is limited to one nightclub and a fair few bars. Cheltenham is about 20 minutes away but you'll need a taxi to get back (£25 but can split between friends etc) and that has like 3 nightclubs.

As for doing things and transport, Gloucester has really good train links to Bristol/London/Cardiff/Birmingham which is really handy. There's a fair amount to keep you busy but not crazy, there was plenty for me for 3 years alongside degree but I don't do that much 😄
    Ah okay, I mean if it has good transport links to bigger cities then I suppose that the local nightlife doesn't really matter as much (although it would be more of a hassle etc). To be fair I don't even know if I would end up doing that much! Suppose it just depends on how well making friends go - I'm really quite shy. Although I mean I do enjoy a night out and stuff, it's more a case of making friends to go on those nights out with haha

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham is an amazing student city as it consists of multiple universities, so you'll be spoilt for choice in terms of nightlife etc. I know a few people who have just moved to nottingham trent and haven't heard a bad thing yet.

Falmouth is a great university for media/the creative industries, but I discounted it due to the sheer isolation of it. This is personal as I want to be at a city university and when I visited it I felt it was a bit claustrophobic- all very self contained a only 2 pubs/clubs (!) but some people prefer campus unis and say that the atmosphere there is more homely. A previous student at our school came in to give a talk about his experience at falmouth and said that because there was so little to do there were more flat/house parties etc. Course wise I have also heard that Falmouth has great industry links and its alumni are very employable.

I would definitely recommend visiting the towns/cities if you are able to, its the best way to get a true feel of what the place is like and if you'd enjoy living there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ejane25)
    Nottingham is an amazing student city as it consists of multiple universities, so you'll be spoilt for choice in terms of nightlife etc. I know a few people who have just moved to nottingham trent and haven't heard a bad thing yet.

Falmouth is a great university for media/the creative industries, but I discounted it due to the sheer isolation of it. This is personal as I want to be at a city university and when I visited it I felt it was a bit claustrophobic- all very self contained a only 2 pubs/clubs (!) but some people prefer campus unis and say that the atmosphere there is more homely. A previous student at our school came in to give a talk about his experience at falmouth and said that because there was so little to do there were more flat/house parties etc. Course wise I have also heard that Falmouth has great industry links and its alumni are very employable.

I would definitely recommend visiting the towns/cities if you are able to, its the best way to get a true feel of what the place is like and if you'd enjoy living there.
    Yeah Nottingham looks lovely, the more I look into it the more I want to go there. The Falmouth course looked lovely, but after some thought I knew I wouldn't enjoy the place or that so I've decided to rule that one out. Like I wanted to move from a small town to a bigger city or something, and moving to Falmouth would just feel like moving from one small town to another.

ReputationRep:
    South Wales University operates over several campuses. The Journalism course is in the Cardiff Campus which is only a few minutes walk from the City centre. Cardiff has a big student population as there are 3 unis - South Wales, Cardiff Met and Cardiff University. Lots of nightlife and lots of bars which cater to students. It is a very compact city but has several shopping centres and lots to do. You won't be bored.

If you will be looking for a part time job there are always plenty going in the City centre.

ReputationRep:
    My sister went to Nottingham Trent - lots of students support. She was on the Brackenhurst campus (which is a campus about 12 miles from the main one and is just lots of fields, one of her flatmates was allowed to bring her horse to uni because of the fields (I think she was doing animal science or something)!), and apparently Nottingham is again very nice and the surrounding area is very nice. Lots of pubs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crabb1ey)
    My sister went to Nottingham Trent - lots of students support. She was on the Brackenhurst campus (which is a campus about 12 miles from the main one and is just lots of fields, one of her flatmates was allowed to bring her horse to uni because of the fields (I think she was doing animal science or something)!), and apparently Nottingham is again very nice and the surrounding area is very nice. Lots of pubs.
    Yeah have decided that is definitely the one I really want to go to. Have heard 99% positive things from it - 1% negative seems to come from a purely elitists narrative. That's actually really cool! I hope I get into Nottingham Trent to be honest haha, seems like such a good University and well lots of pubs is always a welcome bonus.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah have decided that is definitely the one I really want to go to. Have heard 99% positive things from it - 1% negative seems to come from a purely elitists narrative. That's actually really cool! I hope I get into Nottingham Trent to be honest haha, seems like such a good University and well lots of pubs is always a welcome bonus.
    The Brackenhurst campus looked really nice so if you need a break you could go there. The buses run to it all the time. and my sister worked/works at The Hungry Horse which is a pub near that campus which is apparently very nice and does student prices. Also they're very keen for students to get experience so you'll get plenty of advice/support if you want to do a placement.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.