Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiya

I'm having a bit of trouble with my maths coursework. It involves using 3 different methods in order to find a root of an equation, put simply.

One of those methods is fixed point iteration.

In the guide that I have in front of me, it says that the equation f(x)=0 is rearranged into the form x=g(x). I am not sure I understand what g(x) is. Could someone please check that my understanding is correct.

If I have the equation y=x^2
    this can be written f(x)=x^2
    so therefore g(x)=sqrt(y)

where sqrt is square root, sorry didn't know how to do the symbol and not sure what the standard computing representation is of it.

Could some one please just check that my understanding is correct, and if not, maybe point me in the right direction?

cheers guys

Daniel
    xx

ReputationRep:
    What is f(x) = 0 about?

My understanding is that g(y) is the inverse function of f(x), if f(x)=y then g(y)=x.

Although, I think one can only have one answer to an inverse function and therefore you have to chose either  g(y) = \sqrt{y} or  g(y) = - \sqrt{y}

Also fixed point is all about finding a point where f(x) = x not f(x) = 0 (if not x equals zero that is).

I might've misunderstood you, though. Hope it helped, although I might not be the best person to explain this to you as I am just reading up on "Inverse functions" myself.

ReputationRep:
    Here's an extract from my coursework (don't you dare plagiarise - I think it would be pretty obvious if you did!). I think it explains the method quite well. Hope that helps.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc Rearrangement Method.doc (125.0 KB, 1832 views)

ReputationRep:
    cheers mate, yer that helps alot! Course I wont plagerise, but ur cw is on the net now for any1 to see, so I have saved it so if you can, delete it so it limits the no. of people that have access to it!

thanx again mate, really do appreciate that

daniel
    xx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 15, 2007

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.