ReputationRep:
    Of course not.

ReputationRep:
    Lol no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViewsFromSi6)
    Is it?
    Define what you mean?

If it's unisex clothes or toys then of course.

If it's a person, I'd be very sceptical.

ReputationRep:
    You have intersex people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Transvestites

ReputationRep:
    There's a lack of Tumblrinas educating us here?

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

http://gender.wikia.com/wiki/Agender

ReputationRep:
    I hate all this talk about gender because you can't "feel" a gender. You just are what you are. Human traits aren't gender specific.

A woman that likes to play sport, drink beer and punch people isn't a demisexualgigabutchqueersnowflak e, they're a tomboy.

ReputationRep:
    tl;dr
    Gender is a society specific performance.
    Sex is the biological aspect e.g. genitalia.
    Gender usually correlates to sex, though can vary e.g. third gender people in several indigenous cultures.
    Genderless refers to the discarding of gender tropes traditional to the society one lives in. e.g. drinking a pint, wearing a floofy skirt and makeup, and playing darts at the pub at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aniki_)
    I hate all this talk about gender because you can't "feel" a gender. You just are what you are. Human traits aren't gender specific.

A woman that likes to play sport, drink beer and punch people isn't a demisexualgigabutchqueersnowflak e, they're a tomboy.
    Gender is often referred to as traits, rather than biological sex, as far as I'm aware.
    You could say gender may be both in equal proportion... and, I suppose same can be the case for sex (features of both sexes) if there is abnormal development.

ReputationRep:
    I think society has shaped slight general differences in sex's and shaped then into exaggerated gender roles in many ways. Wearing a skirt has been allocated to the female yet it is only a piece of invented material. Football is seen a a guys sport but theres no reason why it couldnt have been a womans sport and hockey a mans sport.

ReputationRep:
    See, I can get behind genderfluid, the idea that someones gender expression changes and fluxuates far more then the average person, and they express parts that steryotipcally we assosiate with a gender..

But the idea of gender-less is a bit harder. Purely talking about expression, when we exist in a binary system, then to be a mixture of both options is much more simple then to be neither.

To be neither you would have to reject the system and create something new entirely. Which I am not sure is possible. For me, most of the people I know who call themself Agender, or Genderless.. actually end up doing either one of two things.

Either they try and be as close to the middle of the spectrum between boy/girl as possible, so its hard to tell which..

Or they take so much of the extreme from either end, that its hard to tell which.. But on neither occasion do they take nothing from the binary spectrum, or break through it, or provide a 3rd option..

---

If the idea of an absence of an option exists, I can only see the term being applicable to someone who says 'I am against the idea of our societal classification of gender expression - rather actually being outside of it.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's officially it. If there is a wiki about something it must be a thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aniki_)

Actually I've been a demisexualgigabutchqueersnowflak e for years.

ReputationRep:
    depends who you ask, if you ask some one who does art or drama they will say yes, if you ask some one with more than 15 brain cells they will say no

ReputationRep:
    No. #StopThisCancer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshDawg)
    Well that's officially it. If there is a wiki about something it must be a thing
    How about all the people who identify as such? If you won't take their word for it, that's your decision, but it doesn't come across as particularly polite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    How about all the people who identify as such? If you won't take their word for it, that's your decision, but it doesn't come across as particularly tolerant.
    to be fair, that's not a good reason to accept something. There are many ridiculous examples of things that people believe.. their belief alone is not a good reason for universal acceptance.

Research around gender, opinions of qualified professionals, diagnoses, academic studies, etc. all throw up many questions around gender and its relationship to people and our society.. and all should be taken seriously when forming our opinions.

What X person believes or identify as, has little weight on its own.

I would also say that not agreeing with something does not make you intolerant. There are many things that I disagree with that you may believe in or do.. but I am perfectly tolerant of you. I wont do or say anything, and will respect your right to act and believe in the way you want.. even if its not something I believe in.

ReputationRep:
    Don't use intolerant as a bad thing, because it often isn't

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.