Can't cope with university life

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

I am in my second year and since the start I have struggled a lot. I have some great friends and do have some good memories,but from an everyday point of view I am very miserable.I nearly dropped out in March time last year, but I ended up getting pursued by and dating my ' first love' which encouraged me to stay .

I'm also bald as I lost my hair in January and have to wear a wig, and I have an extremely unsupportive, unstable home environment.

I worked full time at home over the summer in an office job and was much happier but I fear dropping out would severely limit opportunities. I am a law student and a Russell group university

I am at my wits end with life I have come home for a week as I started having a mental break down.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I am in my second year and since the start I have struggled a lot. I have some great friends and do have some good memories,but from an everyday point of view I am very miserable.I nearly dropped out in March time last year, but I ended up getting pursued by and dating my ' first love' which encouraged me to stay .

I'm also bald as I lost my hair in January and have to wear a wig, and I have an extremely unsupportive, unstable home environment.

I worked full time at home over the summer in an office job and was much happier but I fear dropping out would severely limit opportunities. I am a law student and a Russell group university

I am at my wits end with life I have come home for a week as I started having a mental break down.
    Just start writing it down as pros and cons for each option.
    Start taking advice as well tutor, welfare services etc.

Trust your gut instinct on how things are affecting you.

Its quite early in the term to be breaking down and your second year exams will be very importnat, especially if you intend to pursue a legal career.

Why not suspend your studies, go and get a job and mull it over about what you wish to do? The regulations and procedure will be available on the website.
    Talk to
    1. Welfare services.
    2. Tutor/ department.
    If you decide to suspend studies, then leaving requires you to inform.

1. Department
    2. Fees.
    3. Accommodation.

In your time away get treated, plus get a job if you think its something you wish to explore. You cna always return yo uoit studies at a later date or leave entirely.
    If its a legal career you want then there are other ways to get there but a degree is quite time efficient. there are such things as degree based apprenticeships where you can work and do a degree at the same time.

Priority will be sorting out mental health issues, dealing with break up, hair loss and environment. Its much smarter to make decisions now that protect yourself instead of just pishing on if you honestly think theres a good chance you cnat cope and you end up messing year 2 which would severely damage your degree.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.