Best medical interview practice books/courses

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I want to prepare for any interviews I may get for Medicine, so any help on the best books and interview courses I can buy would be very helpful

My choices are Aberdeen, Hull York, Leicester and Sheffield - they're all MMI

Thanks

Update: I've bought the ISC medical interview book and a book by Philip McElnay, and the course run by The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    Actually Hull York is not MMI. There is a group interview where you are given a task/case to talk about. There is also other parts to this interview but definitely not MMI

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr PB)
    Actually Hull York is not MMI. There is a group interview where you are given a task/case to talk about. There is also other parts to this interview but definitely not MMI
    http://www.hyms.ac.uk/undergraduate/...tion-procedure

If you open 'What happens at interview' you can see it says their interview is MMI!

'Our Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) process is a carefully structured sequence of stations. These can take place in any order.' (direct quote)

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I'm thinking of purchasing the ISC interview book but it seems a bit dated... do you think it's still worth it?
    Tysm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwenog_quidditch)
    Hi there,
    I'm thinking of purchasing the ISC interview book but it seems a bit dated... do you think it's still worth it?
    Tysm
    The most recent publication from ISC is I think fairly new (2013), but I remember the older version was very helpful with it having a whole list of possible questions, concepts for Medical Ethics and a whole lot more really.
    I have heard that UCL are doing an AspireMed Interview Course, it could be something worth looking at

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T11)
    The most recent publication from ISC is I think fairly new (2013), but I remember the older version was very helpful with it having a whole list of possible questions, concepts for Medical Ethics and a whole lot more really.
    I have heard that UCL are doing an AspireMed Interview Course, it could be something worth looking at
    Ah all right, I'll look it up, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, got my first interview offer a few days ago! This forum is very useful.

Had my first 1 hour interview coaching session today - someone on this forum mentioned ukmeducation

They were very good, however they said their groups are all full at present. I would ideally like to do this in a group as it will be better to learn from each other. I'm from London - if anyone is interested in doing some group tuition with them please let me know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by April1122)
    Hi everyone, got my first interview offer a few days ago! This forum is very useful.

Had my first 1 hour interview coaching session today - someone on this forum mentioned ukmeducation

They were very good, however they said their groups are all full at present. I would ideally like to do this in a group as it will be better to learn from each other. I'm from London - if anyone is interested in doing some group tuition with them please let me know?
    How was the coaching session structured?

ReputationRep:
    As I was on my own, they focussed it on general, what they call "introductory" questions - so things like "why do you want to study medicine", "why this university" and we discussed how my answers could be improved.

The group sessions also look good: they said it depends on the strengths and weaknesses of the group; its usually 2 hour sessions (each session focusses on a different area: approx 5-10 sessions required overall depending on what we want to focus on). They will go through the basic/common questions, as well ethics, and MMI stuff, as well as areas we want to focus on; and it looks like they will give us some reading to do between them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by April1122)

Hi there! I am interested in joining this group if its not too late?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asian_persuasion)
    Hi there! I am interested in joining this group if its not too late?
    Same :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medicfudge)
    Hey, first year medic here It's still early days with interview prep, but some of you could get an interview in December!! (I got my first interview in November - was not expecting it at all!!) I started off with making sure I was up to date with current affairs (BBC app on the way back from college is fab) and preparing using online resources and interview books like ISC. I also went on some courses because I felt like I needed more practice especially with MMI stations which can be hard to prepare for. Practice practice practice! But don't worry about it too much - staying calm is key If you're considering going to a course I'd deffo consider how much feedback they would give on the day - some are soo expensive like 150 min for a group size of 30 and no actual feedback! Also don't feel that the more expensive a course is the better it would be - I went to a few last year because I felt so unprepared and honestly only like one of them (MedICU) genuinely helped (1:1 mock interview + MMI practice + v small group) and it was the cheapest, I think it's about 89 now for the full day. Last year the tutors (students) stayed behind at the end to answer more questions as well which didn't really happen with the other courses so honestly if you are considering a course and want extra practice, go for it! you will get your money's worth Look them up on Facebook, they have great reviews.
    Thanks for the advice! How many courses did you go on last year? I have booked a course through Medic Portal but it doesnt involve a full day MMI prep.. And do you think I should book another course? I have an interview early January..

ReputationRep:
    The interview course I guess would be good for first time appliers. The MMI course I found to be really useful and highly recommend it IMHO done by the medic portal.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.