Best Textbook For a BSc Hons Pharmacology degree?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

Which textbook should I use? I don't mind price as long as it helps me get a first!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, it depends on your studying style, whether you like to know more than is absolutely necessary, and whether your syllabus places greater emphasis on experimental pharmacology or clinical pharmacology.

For understanding mechanisms of action of drugs in good detail, and to get a grasp of pharmacology in terms of receptor theory as well as, for instance, enzyme inhibition, or the precise mechanisms of action of antibiotics that block bacterial protein synthesis and of the antimalarial drugs, respectively, to cite just a few. the Lange publication "Pharmacology: Examination Board Review" is excellent. It provides considerable detail, but in an assimillable, concise way, and is well illlustrated. At the end of every chapter there are some very challenging practice questions with answers. Medium length volume (6-700 pp)

If you want to master the subject and have sufficient time or are a very fast learner, and want to know everything including the chemical structures of drugs, structure-activity relationships, drug interactions, pharmacokinetics including zero order and first order metabolism, and detailed differences in therapeutics and adverse effects between members of each and every class of drug as well as comprehensive coverage of every drug available to a clinician, nothing can come close to "Goodman & Gilman's 'Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics'". The latest edition (2011 or 2012, I believe) has full colour illustrations and up to date information on almost any drug on the market.
    Massive (1200+ pages)

I hope this helps.

(I am an ex-medic, hold a BSc (Hons) Pharmacology degree and am a PG lecturer)

Thank you.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.