Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I was just wondering, if I got a B in a particular subject tomorrow, would I be able to work it up to an A (no AS retakes) in the second year or is it more likely to go down to a C because the second year is harder? Or does it depend on the subject? Thanks for any advice

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the subject. In maths, i found C3 & C4 easier than C2 and S2 easier than S1, but in something like geography, i found the upper sixth work far more difficult than the lower sixth.

ReputationRep:
    You wont get a B Also, when you say 'no AS retakes' is that out of preference or the inability to do so? Id have thought having covered C3/C4 material that C2/C1 would me much easier.

ReputationRep:
    My biology teachersaid very rarely has she seen a student raise their grade in A2, they either remain with the grade they achieved at AS or go down so I'd say it depends entirely on the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisRH)
    You wont get a B Also, when you say 'no AS retakes' is that out of preference or the inability to do so? Id have thought having covered C3/C4 material that C2/C1 would me much easier.
    Out of preference because of the cost and I don't wanna be bogged down with too many exams! But what you've said about Maths makes sense. I will probably retake if I was close to the next grade up

ReputationRep:
    I think it really depends on the subject.
    I agree with what someone said up there^ about C3 and C4 being easier than C1 and C2.
    But if it's physics, you really have no chance. Unless you missed an A by about 2 marks.
    Physics is much harder in the second year, and if you DO get a B and want an A, i really think you should resit in january

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends more on how much you missed the A by. Let's assume you get the lowest B possible, 70% = 210/300. To get an A overall, you need a minimum of 480/600. Meaning you'll need at least 270/300 in the A2. So yes, it's possible even in the worst case scenario.

I don't know what some people are saying up there, C3 has a noticeable step up from C2 (I thought there was barely any step up from C1 to C2). C3 to C4 isn't really a STEP UP because C4 is really short but C4 integration is actually quite hard at first. But if you think of C4 integration as half of C4 rather than one topic, you'll appreciate the amount of work that you'll need to put in. Anyway, I'm rambling now, C3 + C4 were much harder in my opinion and fluency in C1 + C2 is almost assumed generally. On the bright side, after having done C3 + C4, C1 + C2 look like a joke and it'd be easy to bring them up to the nineties.

My personal opinion is that if you didn't get an A in AS because you had a bad exam, then it's fine and you can go on to get an A in the end. But if that was what you expected and consider it more or less your ability, unless you do a lot of work and memorisation next year, you're unlikely to get an A.

And before someone says maths exams aren't about memorisation, you're right that they're not, but at the same time because of the nature of C3 + C4 exams you can just memorise the approach to pretty much 90% of the questions that come up.

ReputationRep:
    Numerically possible, but going from a 70% AS student to a 90% A2 student is pretty unlikely!

ReputationRep:
    In my AS year I got BBCD. The D was in Maths, and C in Biology. It would make sense for me to have dropped the Maths, but I felt I had potential and enjoyed it more, hence I took it on to A2 and dropped Biology. In January I retook two of the exams and managed to get to just short of an A. Like others in this thread, I found the A2 exams to be a lot easier and hence I anticipate a much better result than in AS. Without getting overconfident, I would think that tomorrow it will come back a solid B at the least, if not an A.

With Business, a B grade which was very short off an A I found the difficulty to be consistent into the second year, and anticipate a borderline case again.

However, with Economics I found a considerable increase in the difficulty of the A2 exams and results. Not necessarily the content, because I didn't find it much more advanced than on the previous year, but the structure of the exams which are a lot more essay based, which isn't my strong point. I am worried about my result tomorrow! But that may be more to do with the fact that I feel like I bodged one of the summer exams. We shall see.

To conclude, as said it's gonna be down to the subject. Some will remain consistent, whilst others become easier and the rest become harder.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.