Turn on thread page Beta

Would the below consitute a failure? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rozzy)
    :eek: You can fail by stalling if someone is behind? My mate stalled twice in her test with traffic behind her and passed!!

Is stalling with traffic behind you a minor btw?? That is if you don't hesitate and get going quickly again I mean..
    If traffic was moving across you, then yes you will fail because you cause an obstruction, but if you stall at traffic lights before moving (or starting from rest basically), people behind you are not forced to either brake or change direction suddenly, so you're still good.

If you stall as you come out of a junction (I don't know - wrong gear perhaps?) you will most certainly FAIL my friend.

People have stalled and passed. But stall 14 times....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linka1)
    If traffic was moving across you, then yes you will fail because you cause an obstruction, but if you stall at traffic lights before moving (or starting from rest basically), people behind you are not forced to either brake or change direction suddenly, so you're still good.

If you stall as you come out of a junction (I don't know - wrong gear perhaps?) you will most certainly FAIL my friend.

People have stalled and passed. But stall 14 times....
    Actually, 3, and it's a fail.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry yeah.

ReputationRep:
    My instructor has always told me to start in 2nd going downhill, mainly because there's no point starting in 1st as you'll only have to immediately change to 2nd anyway. As such you might get a minor for unnecessary gear change, but that's all.

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on what you're examineer is like. Personally, i was failed for clipping a kerb coming out of a tight junction, why? Well a friend of mine did the same and was passed, he was told that if someone had been standing at that point on the kerb, he would have endangered them, so he would have been failed, yet, when i did the same, there were no pedestrians around? As i've said already, its all at the disgression of your examineer. I watched a girl reverse her car into a tree in the car park of the testing centre with 2 examineers in the car at the time, yet she passed and i failed?

As i was told, holding up traffic and/or causing them to have to change speed or direction because of your actions is a fail. So, if you stall in a road, which forces the people behind you to brake or swerve, or have to wait behind you, its a fail. You could also be failed for coming out of a junction in front of someone and not accelerating hard enough to get up to their speed, causing them to have to brake.

Plus, if you cause the examineer to have to use their controls, that is also a fail. So if you roll backwards towards the car at the traffic lights and the examineer has to use the brake to stop you, thats a fail.

ReputationRep:
    so how bad is it if for the car if you move of in 3rd gear?

ReputationRep:
    Once, no, repetitively, yes.

ReputationRep:
    i better stop doing it, done it twice so far. how come it doesnt stall?

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you don't stall (which is a good chance unless its a very powerful car) you will probably get at least a minor for incorrect gear use. Plus, if you come out of junction in 3rd, you're not going to have the acceleration of someone who's in 2nd or 1st and its a good way of getting someone to run up the back of you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Well, if you don't stall (which is a good chance unless its a very powerful car) you will probably get at least a minor for incorrect gear use. Plus, if you come out of junction in 3rd, you're not going to have the acceleration of someone who's in 2nd or 1st and its a good way of getting someone to run up the back of you.
    ive passed i keep doing it in my own car - it judders but doesnt actually stall, so i just press the gas n it goes alright. ill just make sure im actually in 1st before moving off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xbabydollx)
    No idea how much actual damage it does, I managed to pull away in 5th before!!! in a Fiesta in sainsburys carpark - just wanted to see if it is possible. The trick if you are so inclined to try it to slip the clutch up eeeeeever so slowly. completely and utterly pointless but was interesting to do nonetheless!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 21, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.