18(female) and don't know how to cook!!

Announcements Posted on

I am 18(female) and don't know how to cook.

Anytime i want to cook something in the kitchen or help my mum out, she would tell me off saying "you don't know how to do XYZ and why waste products that we can't afford to buy next time"

The last time i tried cooking, it flopped because the rice was way to hard and another time i tried to make meat pie but it did not go down well.

I want to learn how to cook but the problem is £££

On a frequent basis, me and my family eat rice, pasta and potatoes.

You see, my mum does not even know how to cook all them special dishes apart from her traditional Nigerian food alongside rice, pasta and potatoes.

I have watched a lot of youtube videos on cooking and baking but since my family can't afford £££ to make all of the extra vibrant dishes, i don't know how i will learn to.

How can i learn to cook ANYTHING DECENT on a tight budget?

I guess, i just have to start with the basics-rice, pasta, potatoes before thinking of cooking a nice posh meal.

ReputationRep:
    Just learn from your mistakes, start basic then improve

ReputationRep:
    chicken is easy to cook & goes well with rice/pasta/potatoes

ReputationRep:
    I can't too and I'm 24
    I've never even cooked rice before, unless heating uncles ben rice pack is classed as cooking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    just make instant noodles.

ReputationRep:
    Damn, you have failed in life, what kind of female are you?

Just joking, I was the same as you but lately have learned how to make bolugnase with pasta, chicken noodle soup and similar. Once you have bought the ingredients some of them will last several months ie stock cubes, spices and I make about 7 meals at a time. The left over veg (peppers, onions etc) can be eaten with noodles or something similar for lunch/next day's meal.

Here a simple recipe for chicken noodle soup, I don't use all those ingredients though just the basic ones.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1...en-noodle-soup

You can also make and freeze several meals of bolugnase with just minced beef, 3 tins of tomatoes, mushrooms, tomato purée and maybe beef stock cube.

ReputationRep:
    Start to use terms like jus and broiche and you'll feel more experienced.

ReputationRep:
    Try cooking in less quantities first. It gives you the ability to measure things properly and the damage is minimal if something goes wrong.

Also try to cook simpler things first. Then increase the complexity of your dishes as you get the gist of flavours, ingredients, and heating times.

ReputationRep:
    go to the library/googe/bookstore.

Look for books about cooking well for cheap. There are loads of them.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Wake up and smell the...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.