Contraception and acne - which form is best?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

Ever since I was around 12 I was suffered from severe acne. People told me it would clear up once I'd gone through puberty but I am now 18 and the only reason it is any better now is because of the antibiotics my doctor has prescribed for me. I have aboyfriend and we sometimes get a bit carried away, so I want to use another form of contraception either as well as or instead of just condoms. I have been told by a doctor that the pill can sometimes improve acne, but people I have spoken to who have taken the pill say they have experienced things like mood swings and depression while on the pill so this has put me off. Also, I don't think I would be very good at remembering to take it everyday. I looked into the injection because i wouldn't have to worry about it so much then, but I have read that it quite often worsens acne and mine is bad enough as it is. The other option I looked into is an implant, but it sounds scary having it done and my friend told me you can see it in your arm.

I was just looking for some advice on what might be best? Has anyone else with bad acne noticed any difference in their skin when they've used a particlar form of contraception? Is there anything anyone can reccommend I look into?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ever since I was around 12 I was suffered from severe acne. People told me it would clear up once I'd gone through puberty but I am now 18 and the only reason it is any better now is because of the antibiotics my doctor has prescribed for me. I have aboyfriend and we sometimes get a bit carried away, so I want to use another form of contraception either as well as or instead of just condoms. I have been told by a doctor that the pill can sometimes improve acne, but people I have spoken to who have taken the pill say they have experienced things like mood swings and depression while on the pill so this has put me off. Also, I don't think I would be very good at remembering to take it everyday. I looked into the injection because i wouldn't have to worry about it so much then, but I have read that it quite often worsens acne and mine is bad enough as it is. The other option I looked into is an implant, but it sounds scary having it done and my friend told me you can see it in your arm.

I was just looking for some advice on what might be best? Has anyone else with bad acne noticed any difference in their skin when they've used a particlar form of contraception? Is there anything anyone can reccommend I look into?
    Make a trip to your gp, there are many different pill brands and it can be a case of you wont know what side effects you'll get until you try it.

A lot of people I know have the implant and you can feel/see it in your arm but it doesn't bother or pain them. I heard the pill makes you really moody etc., the implant might just be worth your while idk.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.