Turn on thread page Beta

Should private firms be allowed to discriminate? watch

ReputationRep:
    E.g. should a private bus company be allowed to refuse black passengers? should a private B&B be allowed to refuse gay customers? should a private clinic be allowed to only treat men? should an insurance company be allowed to only insure women?

ReputationRep:
    Nope. That was easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    E.g. should a private bus company be allowed to refuse black passengers? should a private B&B be allowed to refuse gay customers? should a private clinic be allowed to only treat men? should an insurance company be allowed to only insure women?
    I think it depends why their discriminating. If it's down to bigotry than no, but in the case of the insurance company, it's simply more lucrative for the company and its customers if it is restricted to women only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Nope. That was easy
    Hehe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleenia)
    I think it depends why their discriminating. If it's down to bigotry than no, but in the case of the insurance company, it's simply more lucrative for the company and its customers if it is restricted to women only.
    WHat if it proved lucrative to only let black people on buses? (I know this is farout, but it's hypothetical, and I could provide a suitably farout explanation to why that scenario could arise, if you wish)

ReputationRep:
    WHat if it proved lucrative to only let black people on buses? (I know this is farout, but it's hypothetical, and I could provide a suitably farout explanation to why that scenario could arise, if you wish)
    OK lemme think. I was thinking about when night clubs have ladies nights, where the women get in for free. One the one hand it's great for the women and the club (more women = more boozing men prepared to pay plenty of cash) but it isn't really fair on the men, is it? It's a tricky one. As for the bus scenario, my gut instict is to go 'no, that sounds racist and must be bad.' But I see what you mean, it complicates what i said about the insurance comapany?

ReputationRep:
    I think that no matter how large, or small, a company is, it should go out of its way to stop discrimination, whether it is economically viable, or not!

ReputationRep:
    No they should not be allowed to do such a thing.

ReputationRep:
    OK lemme think. I was thinking about when night clubs have ladies nights, where the women get in for free. One the one hand it's great for the women and the club (more women = more boozing men prepared to pay plenty of cash) but it isn't really fair on the men, is it? It's a tricky one. As for the bus scenario, my gut instict is to go 'no, that sounds racist and must be bad.' But I see what you mean, it complicates what i said about the insurance comapany?
    I have the same moral dilemmas as you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottus_Mus)
    I think that no matter how large, or small, a company is, it should go out of its way to stop discrimination, whether it is economically viable, or not!
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    No there should be allowed to do such a thing.
    And yet we see many examples of it in society. There are the taboos, nobody would ban black people from their buses, because you instantly think of Rosa Parks. And yet we have firms like diamond operating, who only insure female drivers.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed.
    But in the insurance company case - is it discrimination per se? Are men loosing out? I thought of another parallel to be ripped to shreds by people much more insightful than myself...
    What about banks that only do business with people who earn X amount of money - are they discriminating against the poor person?

ReputationRep:
    Wait until the Genome Project is finished! They'll be doing our life insurance by DNA - 'Sorry luv! Your more likely than the average to get cancer because of your DNA so we won't insure you'

I do hope it doesn't get like that but knowing our plutocracy it will

ReputationRep:
    And yet we see many examples of it in society. There are the taboos, nobody would ban black people from their buses, because you instantly think of Rosa Parks. And yet we have firms like diamond operating, who only insure female drivers.
    Have people taken diamond further to understand there reason for this? I mean can it be justified under the equal opportunities - human rights? surely not. So why is it allowed to continue?

ReputationRep:
    In a society such as ours (i.e. Capitalist) there is no way to prevent private persons from discriminating.

ReputationRep:
    But in the insurance company case - is it discrimination per se? Are men loosing out? I thought of another parallel to be ripped to shreds by people much more insightful than myself...
    What about banks that only do business with people who earn X amount of money - are they discriminating against the poor person?
    What are your views about that guy who Labour had an internal row over?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Nope. That was easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldthrashbarg)
    In a society such as ours (i.e. Capitalist) there is no way to prevent private persons from discriminating.
    I thought various Company Acts enacted by Westminster Parliament governed this rather than being a capitalist society or not.

ReputationRep:
    I think its disgusting that Diamond insurance (and others) discriminate in such a way, there would be outrage if they said "we shall not insure blacks!". However, there are currently EU plans to outlaw discrimination in this field....

http://money.guardian.co.uk/insuranc...182133,00.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    I think its disgusting that Diamond insurance (and others) discriminate in such a way, there would be outrage if they said "we shall not insure blacks!". However, there are currently EU plans to outlaw discrimination in this field....

http://money.guardian.co.uk/insuranc...182133,00.html
    Excellent, it makes sense to apply these measures on all grounds. Even for logic's sake.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.