Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should private firms be allowed to discriminate? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleenia)
    No it was the "perverted" bit i was questioning.
    I would have thought that bit was obvious as well. However, this thread is about whether or not private firms should be able to discriminate, lets leave semantics out of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benm)
    I would have thought that bit was obvious as well. However, this thread is about whether or not private firms should be able to discriminate, lets leave semantics out of it.
    Why not leave the word out, then - if it's so obviously steering away from the point of the thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    What about life insurance for black people? You know the scene drugs and AIDs and that stuff...
    If they could prove a certain group was more risky then yes they could imcrease the premiums.

But what proof is there that black people take more drugs than any other group? And you would then need to prove that the drug taking meant that the insurance company was more likley to pay out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    If you were to do everything in your life based on each individual involved you would never get anything done
    The thread is entitled "Should private firms be allowed to discriminate". This country and many others have a stupendous number of law reports containing individual cases (many of them discrimination cases), the facts of which have been closely analysed in order to reach a decision (without stereotypes).

(Original post by Amb1)
    Stereotypes tend to arise from facts anyway, and are often used for self-preservation. If I was walking down the street and in front of me were 2 women wearing suits chatting I would probably walk past them with no worries. If however I was walking down the street and there were 2 big lads wearing hoody tops, smoking and jumping around a bit like boxers I would almost definitely cross over the road in order to avoid them. This is purely based on a stereotype that I hold from the fact that big scary lads pose more of an immediate threat to me than business women do. Am I wrong to hold this stereotype and act upon it??
    Stereotype: An image of, or attitude towards persons or groups that may be based on superficial observations and experiences which reflect preconceived ideas.

You are missing the point. The situation you described above would be fine because you crossing the road has no effect on the “2 big lads wearing hoody tops” (who could be murderous deviants or TV extras from Hollyoaks) However, if you were an employer and you used a stereotype to make an important decision about a potential employee e.g. black people or women are less able to do the job, then you are making a decision to that persons detriment. If we are to live in a fair and just society then discrimination based on insidious stereotypes cannot exist in such fields.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    If they could prove a certain group was more risky then yes they could imcrease the premiums.

But what proof is there that black people take more drugs than any other group? And you would then need to prove that the drug taking meant that the insurance company was more likley to pay out.
    British Crime Survey? Who knows. Just a talking point I put forward.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.