How do I break up with someone?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

I want to break up with my boyfriend, but I've never experienced a break up before and wondering how it is done.

I'd prefer to leave him on good terms, I care about him but I know I'm not happy with him and want to move on. I've already made the choice in my heart and now I just gotta implement it.

How do I do the 'perfect' break-up?
    (Or as perfect as break ups can be?)

ReputationRep:
    Be honest with him. It's hard but you will feel a sense of relief once you do it. Good luck.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I want to break up with my boyfriend, but I've never experienced a break up before and wondering how it is done.

I'd prefer to leave him on good terms, I care about him but I know I'm not happy with him and want to move on. I've already made the choice in my heart and now I just gotta implement it.

How do I do the 'perfect' break-up?
    (Or as perfect as break ups can be?)
    Depends on your choice, bit on age and how long you have been going out.

Best would be in person imo or at least on the phone where you have the chance to talk about it and explain your reasons why or even just being tactful.

What his reaction will be depends on how convinced he was, how he deals with rejection and how much he valued the relationship anyway. You cnat guarantee that part.

Be honest, keep it brief but give him an opprtunity to reply and be reasonably sensitive.

Just block him on all social media and completely act like he doesn't exist. He'll probs get the message

(Original post by johnTroy1)
    Be honest with him. It's hard but you will feel a sense of relief once you do it. Good luck.
    I will be honest.
    Thank you for your support!

(Original post by 999tigger)
    Depends on your choice, bit on age and how long you have been going out.

Best would be in person imo or at least on the phone where you have the chance to talk about it and explain your reasons why or even just being tactful.

What his reaction will be depends on how convinced he was, how he deals with rejection and how much he valued the relationship anyway. You cnat guarantee that part.

Be honest, keep it brief but give him an opprtunity to reply and be reasonably sensitive.
    My choice?

We've been together for 4 years now, and we're both 17.

I'll try and arrange it, but I'm afraid it might be over text. Is there any reason it must be over the phone/in person?

I'm not sure how he'll react, but he's reasonable. I think he feels the same way but is too worried to start the conversation on breaking up. I still care for him and I really want him to be happy and be happy for the rest of his life. I just know I can't do that anymore, and he can't do that for me.

Just block him on all social media and completely act like he doesn't exist. He'll probs get the message
    I'll do that after we speak. I really want to hear his side and arrive at a mutual decision together.

I will be honest.
    Thank you for your support!

My choice?

We've been together for 4 years now, and we're both 17.

I'll try and arrange it, but I'm afraid it might be over text. Is there any reason it must be over the phone/in person?

I'm not sure how he'll react, but he's reasonable. I think he feels the same way but is too worried to start the conversation on breaking up. I still care for him and I really want him to be happy and be happy for the rest of his life. I just know I can't do that anymore, and he can't do that for me.
    I think the your choice managed to creep into the beginning of the post and was meant to be at the end.

Text is lame imo and after 4 years then even lamer if not disrespectful. Its a cowards choice imo. How would you like it after 4 years then all you got was a text? It shows you cant be bothered.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    I think the your choice managed to creep into the beginning of the post and was meant to be at the end.

Text is lame imo and after 4 years then even lamer if not disrespectful. Its a cowards choice imo. How would you like it after 4 years then all you got was a text? It shows you cant be bothered.
    True, I'll try to call them. Thanks for the help. :3

True, I'll try to call them. Thanks for the help. :3
    If its any help, then he probably knows anyway and could be thinking the same.

ReputationRep:
    As if anyone narcissistic enough to endorse this approach would have mustered the introspection to post such a thread in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Give him a sock and tell him he's a free elf.

ReputationRep:
    Talk to them in person. Don't text them.

ReputationRep:
    4 years and over text , animal fam

ReputationRep:
    Don't treat him badly in the run up to it, that's the worst bit. Face to face, honest as possible, avoid break up cliches. Offer friendship, unless he can't handle it and behaves inappropriately.

Oh, and some additional thoughts for dumping perfection - offer him a final compensatory bonk and then fix him up with one of your mates who is even hotter than you..

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.