Petition: Renationalisation of the railways,stations and track (2016) Bill

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Renationalisation of the railways,stations and track (2016) Bill
    Renationalisation of the railways,stations and track (2016) Bill
    BE IN ENCATED by the Queen’s most excellent majesty ,by and with the advice and consent of the commons , in this present Parliament assembled , and by the authority of the same , as follows:-

DEFINITIONS
    1. United Kingdom Rail shall hereby refer to the combined, government owned rail franchise, combining:
    Abellio Greater Anglia
    Abellio ScotRail
    Arriva Trains Wales
    c2c
    Calendonian Sleeper
    Chiltern Railways
    CrossCountry
    East Midlands trains
    TransPennine Express
    Grand Central
    Great Western Railway
    Northern
    Southeastern
    Southern/ Thameslink and Great Northern
    South West Trains
    Virgin Trains West Coast
    Virgin Trains East Coast
    2. United Kingdom Rail InnerCity Shall hereby refer to the Government owned Inner City Rail Franchise, including:
    Hull Trains
    Heathrow Connect
    Heathrow Express
    London Overground
    MerseyRail
    TFLRail
    3. United Kingdom Rail International Shall hereby refer to the government owned international rail franchise, combining:
    Eurostar
    Groupe Eurotunnel SE
    4. United Kingdom Rail Track shall hereby refer to the government owned track maintenance company in charge of all track and stations
    Section 1: Ownership of the railways
    1. All privately owned rail franchises set out in the definitions of United Kingdom Rail, United Kingdom rail InnerCity and United Kingdom rail International shall be reposesed by the government on the 31st October, 2016.
    2. The government owned Rail franchises, United Kingdom rail , United Kingdom Rail inner city and United Kingdom rail international will start trading at midnight on the 1st of November 2016 under these names.
    Section 2: Ownership of the track
    1. Ownership of Track Shall pass from Network rail to United Kingdom Rail Track at midnight on the 1st of November 2016

2. Ownership of stations shall pass to United Kingdom Rail Track at midnight on the 1st of November 2016

Section 3: Compensation
    1. Compensation shall be awarded to any and all companies whose contracts have been terminated.
    2. The compensation to all companies shall be 100 million pounds per contract terminated.
    3. Compensation shall only be awarded if the rail contract is at least 6 months away from expiry.
    4. Compensation to companies whose contracts are 6 months or less away from expiry shall receive 30 million pounds compensation per contract.
    Section 4: commencement
    1. The provisions of this act come into force immediately
    Section 5: short title
    1. This act may be cited as the renationalisation of the railways act 2016

ReputationRep:
    We've already had a bill re-nationalising the railways, it didn't pass but hopefully it will next term (next month).

ReputationRep:
    You can't petition a bill. What you can do is get a party to support it or just any MP to second it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is not a bill, it's a petition (you are not an MP and you have no formatting).

Network Rail is already in public hands and the state is the operator of last resort. I see no reason to support this petition.

For reference, this bill is the current Mhoc law..

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4231754

ReputationRep:
    I have just noticed this now but will be treating it as a petition henceforth.

ReputationRep:
    The actual legislation set out isn't definitely what the final bill will be like , i am just suggesting this also i was aware of the other law .

ReputationRep:
    I had a feeling some tracks were already nationalised? If not, then aye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    See the link.

ReputationRep:
    I was also of the track law but it is good to have it all grouped

ReputationRep:
    No we have a good system currently in place.

ReputationRep:
    Aye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    And therein lies most of the problems actually.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely no.

ReputationRep:
    Nay, I will be proposing a more efficient piece aiming to take a 45-50% stake in railway companies rather than the full ownership and liability, it will take place immediately if they want to hold onto their entitlement to subsidies (the subsidies will buy shares as a result) or it'll be in their new contracts once they've expired.

The cost of compensation, rebranding, restructure is inefficient in itself, you remind people why they're against nationalisation with a simple proposal, they don't even need to question the future since it's immediate effects are disastrous.

ReputationRep:
    Rail ownership is one issue I'm yet to be swayed on either way. There are pros and cons for both a nationalised and privatised rail network - aside from fare prices, the current system works OK.

ReputationRep:
    Division! Clear the lobbies!

Updated: October 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.