How can I improve in English Language & Literature

Watch
123_123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm in year 11 and I really want to take English Literature for A Level, but I am not the best in the class, even though I try really hard - I just need some tips on how to improve and get the high grades. Please help Thanks in advance
Charlottay_oc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm taking English Lit and Lang for A Level atm, and the technique that's gotten me through is always questioning the author - Why is this relevant? What impact did they want to have? How does this relate to context? In year 11 the best format for answering essay questions imo is PEARL (point, evidence, analysis, reader response, links to theme/context), so if you structure every answer like this, you can't really go wrong! Also, another tip is to be clear and concise - don't overdo it with sophisticated language, because it ends up being one long waffly paragraph last but not least, try and be as original as you can, creativity always gets you a long way good luck!
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I take English Lit A Level at the moment, the best advice I can give is learn context, relating your essay points to contextual factors is essential at a level and gets you top marks at gcse. For example Christina Rossetti was a member of the Oxford movement which influenced a lot of her views on the afterlife in her poems, context is key.

As for Language, I found it absolutely dull at GCSE, just stick it out and try your best, a lot of essay structures are transferrable though I found as I still managed to get an A in my language GCSE
123_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Charlottexox)
I'm taking English Lit and Lang for A Level atm, and the technique that's gotten me through is always questioning the author - Why is this relevant? What impact did they want to have? How does this relate to context? In year 11 the best format for answering essay questions imo is PEARL (point, evidence, analysis, reader response, links to theme/context), so if you structure every answer like this, you can't really go wrong! Also, another tip is to be clear and concise - don't overdo it with sophisticated language, because it ends up being one long waffly paragraph last but not least, try and be as original as you can, creativity always gets you a long way good luck!
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it Good luck to you too xx
123_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Connor27)
I take English Lit A Level at the moment, the best advice I can give is learn context, relating your essay points to contextual factors is essential at a level and gets you top marks at gcse. For example Christina Rossetti was a member of the Oxford movement which influenced a lot of her views on the afterlife in her poems, context is key.

As for Language, I found it absolutely dull at GCSE, just stick it out and try your best, a lot of essay structures are transferrable though I found as I still managed to get an A in my language GCSE
Thank you for responding, I really appreciate it and found this useful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (43)
37.07%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (11)
9.48%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.52%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.62%

Watched Threads