Physics question on BMAT Past paper

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't sure how to work the answer out for this one... I do a level physics so this is slightly alarming! But any help would be much appreciated and hopefully I'll understand any explanations!

Name:  IMG_0911.PNG
Views: 23
Size:  149.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    Do you have the correct answer?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do, I just don't get why that is the correct answer ( it is B)

ReputationRep:
    Its because there would be more current in bulb X as the switch is closed and less current in Y so Y would be dimmer and X would be brighter

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, cud u please explain why with reference to series and parallel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uni12345678)
    Thanks, cud u please explain why with reference to series and parallel?
    Think of it in a more qualitative sense (forget equations for now).

More current flows through a path with less resistence.

Initiallly, most of the current will pass Y, most of it will go down towards switch Q so less current is passing through bulb X. Most of the current will bypass the two bulbs at the bottom and pass through switch Q because that path offers less resistance (it's only a wire).

So because the current bypasses bulb X, it won't be so bright.

Now, when you close switch P and open switch Q, the path with the least resistence after Y is through switch P. Most current after switch P will now pass through bulb X after switch Q. As more current enters X, the bulb is now brighter. The voltage is now shared between X and Y meaning Y will be dimmer.

ReputationRep:
    With Q closed, bulb X is off - there is no current to it, as there is a zero resistance path around it (Q). Bulb Y receives all the battery's voltage.
    With Q open, bulb X receives a current. Bulb Y is dimmer, as there is now a resistance before it, taking some of the battery's voltage.

You don't need to get into resistances to compare bulb brightness for this question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    Think of it in a more qualitative sense (forget equations for now).

More current flows through a path with less resistence.

Initiallly, most of the current will pass Y, most of it will go down towards switch Q so less current is passing through bulb X. Most of the current will bypass the two bulbs at the bottom and pass through switch Q because that path offers less resistance (it's only a wire).

So because the current bypasses bulb X, it won't be so bright.

Now, when you close switch P and open switch Q, the path with the least resistence after Y is through switch P. Most current after switch P will now pass through bulb X after switch Q. As more current enters X, the bulb is now brighter. The voltage is now shared between X and Y meaning Y will be dimmer.
    But why does bulb Y get dimmer??

ReputationRep:
    It has less voltage across it, as the other bulbs 'take' some of the battery's voltage.

ReputationRep:
    Since the current is now flowing through both bulb X and bulb Y, the voltage between them is shared. Before, bulb Y would get almost all the voltage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    It has less voltage across it, as the other bulbs 'take' some of the battery's voltage.
    i dont get why it has less voltage across it...

I did some calculations assuming each bulb had a resistance of 12 ohms. I found that originally, all the bulbs apart from Y had negligible voltage across them and the overall current in the circuit is 0.5 A, so Y has 0.5 A through it. but after the change in switches, X has 4.8v across it and the current in the circuit is now 0.6 A so Y has 0.6 A through it. Therefore I thought the answer was A... what have I done wrong here? its frustrating me so much ahha

ReputationRep:
    i dont get why it has less voltage across it...

I did some calculations assuming each bulb had a resistance of 12 ohms. I found that originally, all the bulbs apart from Y had negligible voltage across them and the overall current in the circuit is 0.5 A, so Y has 0.5 A through it. but after the change in switches, X has 4.8v across it and the current in the circuit is now 0.6 A so Y has 0.6 A through it. Therefore I thought the answer was A... what have I done wrong here? its frustrating me so much ahha
    With Q closed, Y has 12V across it. All other bulbs have 0V (as they're in parallel to Q which has zero resistance). A current of 1A would therefore flow (with your 12 Ohm assumption).

With Q open and P closed, we have X in parallel with two series bulbs. That would give a resistance of 1/[1/12 + 1/(12 + 12)] = 8 Ohm (12 in parallel with 24). The total resistance would therefore be that (8) plus Y (12), i.e. 20 Ohm. A current of 0.6 Amp would flow (V/R = 12 / 20 = 0.6).

The voltage drop across X (and the two series bulbs in parallel with it) would be IR = 0.6 * 8 = 4.8V. The voltage drop across Y would be IR = 0.6 * 12 = 7.2 (which equals 12 - 4.8).

With Q closed, Y had a power of P = VI = 12 * 1 = 12W. With Q open, it has P = VI = 7.2* 0.6 = 4.32W, so is less bright.

X previously had zero current and zero voltage, so zero power. It will now have some, so is brighter. (The 0.6A gets split in inverse proportion to the resistance of X and the parallel branch of two bulbs in series - X will get 0.4A and the two series bulbs 0.2A, so that both have the same voltage drop of 4.8V)

ReputationRep:
    With Q closed, Y has 12V across it. All other bulbs have 0V (as they're in parallel to Q which has zero resistance). A current of 1A would therefore flow (with your 12 Ohm assumption).

With Q open and P closed, we have X in parallel with two series bulbs. That would give a resistance of 1/[1/12 + 1/(12 + 12)] = 8 Ohm (12 in parallel with 24). The total resistance would therefore be that (8) plus Y (12), i.e. 20 Ohm. A current of 0.6 Amp would flow (V/R = 12 / 20 = 0.6).

The voltage drop across X (and the two series bulbs in parallel with it) would be IR = 0.6 * 8 = 4.8V. The voltage drop across Y would be IR = 0.6 * 12 = 7.2 (which equals 12 - 4.8).

With Q closed, Y had a power of P = IR = 1 * 12 = 12W. With Q open, it has P = IR = 0.6 * 12 = 7.2W, so is less bright.

X previously had zero current and zero voltage, so zero power. It will now have some, so is brighter. (The 0.6A gets split in inverse proportion to the resistance of X and the parallel branch of two bulbs in series - X will get 0.4A and the two series bulbs 0.2A, so that both have the same voltage drop of 4.8V)
    Got it! I had got the initial current incorrect, thank you very much I understand it much better, the power thing especially helped me understand what's actually happening (although I must point out I think it should be I^2 *R not IR- but I get the idea!!)

Thank you very much for your help- even at the late hour hahha!

ReputationRep:
    although I must point out I think it should be I^2 *R not IR- but I get the idea!!)
    Ooops. You are right.
    Thank you very much for your help- even at the late hour hahha!
    Not in California

ReputationRep:
    Ooops. You are right.

Not in California
    OMG you're in California? LITERALLY my fav place in the world ahaha want to live there some day! Anyway lol I'm weird forgive me

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.