Personal statement help?!

Announcements Posted on
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    I am interested in taking forensic psychology at uni, but there are no examples of personal statements in this field and I'm completely stumped on what to write I feel like I'm talking to much and not really sure if its even the right info to be rambling on about as I havent an idea on what kind of personal statement is successful in this field and im majorly stressing. If anyone can give me any advice on how to structure and what to write and what not to write or even willing to read my actual statement it would be immensely appreciated. xoxo
    Online

    3
    ReputationRep:
    I can help you if you would like. How much have you written so far?
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teepee1209)
    I am interested in taking forensic psychology at uni, but there are no examples of personal statements in this field and I'm completely stumped on what to write I feel like I'm talking to much and not really sure if its even the right info to be rambling on about as I havent an idea on what kind of personal statement is successful in this field and im majorly stressing. If anyone can give me any advice on how to structure and what to write and what not to write or even willing to read my actual statement it would be immensely appreciated. xoxo
    I would say maybe if you even looked at a psychology personal statement and adapted it a bit that might help? As I don't really know much about this course the only advice I can offer you is make 80% of it about why you want to study it, what work experience and skills you have that are specific to this course and then the other 20% should be on your hobbies, extracurriculars etc. which are relevant to this course in any way. Hope I could help even a little!
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yukicookie)
    I can help you if you would like. How much have you written so far?
    So far about 500 words but I feel like alot of it is irrelevant and I dont know where its going
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VickiL867)
    I would say maybe if you even looked at s psychology personal statement and adapted it a bit that might help? As I don't really know much about this course the only advice I can offer you is make 80% of it about why you want to study it, what work experience and skills you have that are specific to this course and then the other 20% should be on your hobbies, extracurriculars etc. which are relevant to this course in any way. Hope I could help even a little!
    Thankyou, that gives me some guide on what I should be focusing my statement on!
    Online

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teepee1209)
    So far about 500 words but I feel like alot of it is irrelevant and I dont know where its going
    Make sure you start off with something unique that shows why you want to study forensic psychology. Maybe an experience which made you realise why you are interested in it. Then go on with what the other reasons for studying it are. After that include other work experience and what that taught you about the course. Include a little about what your current subjects will contribute, and finish off with relevant hobbies that will make you a good student. For the conclusion, end with a statement that proves your passion for the course.
    You can send what you have to me and I will see how you could improve it.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yukicookie)
    Make sure you start off with something unique that shows why you want to study forensic psychology. Maybe an experience which made you realise why you are interested in it. Then go on with what the other reasons for studying it are. After that include other work experience and what that taught you about the course. Include a little about what your current subjects will contribute, and finish off with relevant hobbies that will make you a good student. For the conclusion, end with a statement that proves your passion for the course.
    You can send what you have to me and I will see how you could improve it.
    Thankyou so much, I'll add those few bits and message it to you soon, again thankyou, my schools not given me any help this is very much appreciated.
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    Look at the examples for psychology but focus on what interests you about forensic psychology e.g. why you first wanted to study it, what areas particularly interest you etc. Write about any modules or topics in you alevels that are related and how you enjoyed them and any further reading you have done around the subject or anything you have seen/heard/read that you found interesting and relates. It is always hardest getting going but once you get in the flow you will find you write lots and then can go back over it with a teacher or parent who can help you cut out any irrelevant parts. Hope that helps
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yukicookie)
    Make sure you start off with something unique that shows why you want to study forensic psychology. Maybe an experience which made you realise why you are interested in it. Then go on with what the other reasons for studying it are. After that include other work experience and what that taught you about the course. Include a little about what your current subjects will contribute, and finish off with relevant hobbies that will make you a good student. For the conclusion, end with a statement that proves your passion for the course.
    You can send what you have to me and I will see how you could improve it.
    Please don't encourage people to send you their PS. It's a rule that TSR has to make it safer for all applicants. The truth is that anyone can say anything on the internet and plagiarism is very real. Once someone has sent their PS, then it is out of their control. If you are interested in helping and are at uni already (or graduated) then tag She-Ra into a thread in Ask the CT and explain you would like to be a part of the PS review service.

    OP check the guidance in my signature. Remember that you will cover other modules in an undergrad degree, so you don't need to focus specifically on forensic psych. Just focus on why you are interested in psych, which you can show by talking about extra reading
 
 
 
Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.