The Student Room Group

Happiness

I got asked this this morning and have just been wondering. I've put it here because I'm not sure if it's biology/psychology etc. etc.

What causes happiness? I'm not talking about the external stimulus, but what actually happens in your mind/body to make you feel happy. This girl thought there was a drug in your brain that made you happy - I assumed it had something to do with hormones???

Scroll to see replies

Dopamine is one of the neurochemicals which is responsible for happiness. Serotonin also has a role i believe. However it's been a while, (2 months :p:) since I've studied psych so i may be wrong.
Reply 2
It has something to do with the serotonin levels in your nervous system. There's probably a lot of other relevant chemicals too, but I didn't pay attention in biology class. Someone studying biochemistry at degree level will probably hop along soon to answer it properly.
Reply 3
There's a hormone in chocolate which makes you happy apparently
(I'm trying to justify the big Galaxy bar I'm currently chomping on :wink:)

But no it's true (AFAIK) :smile:
Vesta
There's a hormone in chocolate which makes you happy apparently
(I'm trying to justify the big Galaxy bar I'm currently chomping on :wink:)

But no it's true (AFAIK) :smile:

I remember reading that in the Guardian back in the day. My mum cut it out and stuck it up on the inside of her chocolate cupboard!
Reply 5
yellowtruck
I remember reading that in the Guardian back in the day. My mum cut it out and stuck it up on the inside of her chocolate cupboard!

Whatever makes us females feel better huh :wink:
Vesta
Whatever makes us females feel better huh :wink:

Sorry if that sounded offensive... that wasn't the intention!

Seriously! she did cut it out tho!
Yes! Finally, a good reason to eat chocolate :smile:
Reply 8
Doesn't chocolate have endorphins in it which makes you happy?
Reply 9
Yeah I was thinking endorphins, and serotonin though too much of that makes you go slightly crazy I believe.
Reply 10
Dopamine also makes men fall asleep after sex. Not that they need any further excuses, eh ladies?
symphonic
Yeah I was thinking endorphins, and serotonin though too much of that makes you go slightly crazy I believe.

I thought that was Dopamine, in that if you have too much you develop Parkinson's and too little you develop Alzheimer's.
Reply 12
Oh is it dopamine?
I know we studied serotonin in psychology and too little of it makes you depressed which can lead to anorexia.
symphonic
Oh is it dopamine?
I know we studied serotonin in psychology and too little of it makes you depressed which can lead to anorexia.

I believe so. 'The dopamine hypothesis'. I'm not 100% sure which way around the Parkinson's and Alzheimer's go but they're definitely in there somewhere! (see what two months of no lessons does for you:p: )
Reply 14
Well Parkinson's is where you shake and stuff right? So I'd think that was caused by too much dopamine.
symphonic
Well Parkinson's is where you shake and stuff right? So I'd think that was caused by too much dopamine.

God knows. I can't remember that much:p:

Even if i am doing it for uni
Reply 16
I only know anything about Parkinson's because Michael J Fox has it :redface:
Reply 17
yellowtruck
Sorry if that sounded offensive... that wasn't the intention!

Seriously! she did cut it out tho!

No no I wasn't offended, I was joking! :wink:

:hugs:
symphonic
I only know anything about Parkinson's because Michael J Fox has it :redface:

Poor Guy. I loved back to the future
Reply 19
:ditto:

Latest

Trending

Trending