Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got asked this this morning and have just been wondering. I've put it here because I'm not sure if it's biology/psychology etc. etc.

What causes happiness? I'm not talking about the external stimulus, but what actually happens in your mind/body to make you feel happy. This girl thought there was a drug in your brain that made you happy - I assumed it had something to do with hormones???

ReputationRep:
    Dopamine is one of the neurochemicals which is responsible for happiness. Serotonin also has a role i believe. However it's been a while, (2 months :p:) since I've studied psych so i may be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    It has something to do with the serotonin levels in your nervous system. There's probably a lot of other relevant chemicals too, but I didn't pay attention in biology class. Someone studying biochemistry at degree level will probably hop along soon to answer it properly.

ReputationRep:
    There's a hormone in chocolate which makes you happy apparently
    (I'm trying to justify the big Galaxy bar I'm currently chomping on )

But no it's true (AFAIK)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vesta)
    There's a hormone in chocolate which makes you happy apparently
    (I'm trying to justify the big Galaxy bar I'm currently chomping on )

But no it's true (AFAIK)
    I remember reading that in the Guardian back in the day. My mum cut it out and stuck it up on the inside of her chocolate cupboard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowtruck)
    I remember reading that in the Guardian back in the day. My mum cut it out and stuck it up on the inside of her chocolate cupboard!
    Whatever makes us females feel better huh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vesta)
    Whatever makes us females feel better huh
    Sorry if that sounded offensive... that wasn't the intention!

Seriously! she did cut it out tho!

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Finally, a good reason to eat chocolate

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't chocolate have endorphins in it which makes you happy?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was thinking endorphins, and serotonin though too much of that makes you go slightly crazy I believe.

ReputationRep:
    Dopamine also makes men fall asleep after sex. Not that they need any further excuses, eh ladies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by symphonic)
    Yeah I was thinking endorphins, and serotonin though too much of that makes you go slightly crazy I believe.
    I thought that was Dopamine, in that if you have too much you develop Parkinson's and too little you develop Alzheimer's.

ReputationRep:
    Oh is it dopamine?
    I know we studied serotonin in psychology and too little of it makes you depressed which can lead to anorexia.

ReputationRep:
    Oh is it dopamine?
    I know we studied serotonin in psychology and too little of it makes you depressed which can lead to anorexia.
    I believe so. 'The dopamine hypothesis'. I'm not 100% sure which way around the Parkinson's and Alzheimer's go but they're definitely in there somewhere! (see what two months of no lessons does for you:p: )

ReputationRep:
    Well Parkinson's is where you shake and stuff right? So I'd think that was caused by too much dopamine.

ReputationRep:
    Well Parkinson's is where you shake and stuff right? So I'd think that was caused by too much dopamine.
    God knows. I can't remember that much:p:

Even if i am doing it for uni

ReputationRep:
    I only know anything about Parkinson's because Michael J Fox has it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowtruck)
    Sorry if that sounded offensive... that wasn't the intention!

Seriously! she did cut it out tho!
    No no I wasn't offended, I was joking!

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I only know anything about Parkinson's because Michael J Fox has it
    Poor Guy. I loved back to the future

ReputationRep:
    :ditto:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.