The Student Room Group

What A-Levels should take to become an accountant?

hey,
I am currently in year 11 and am trying to work out what would be the best A-Levels for me to take as i want to become an accountant. I was thinking of taking the following:

-Maths
-Economics
-Business
-(anything else??)

I'm going to be applying for colleges very soon and am constantly having people share their different views and opinions about what they think i should pick for my A-Levels which is kind of confusing me. Can someone please explain to me and advise me about what i should pick?? ASAP!
Reply 1
Maths, economics and business sound good. Maths for definite. Economics could be good because at uni you may have to do some economics type modules (depends on the course and uni you choose though), so at least you will be familiar with it as I know a lot of people who have never done economics before struggle with it at uni. And I think business, do it if you want, but it wouldn't really matter if you chose something else you're interested in; but again if you definitely want to do accounting, it will probably be good as I'm sure there will be some business type modules too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ABZ_786
hey,
I am currently in year 11 and am trying to work out what would be the best A-Levels for me to take as i want to become an accountant. I was thinking of taking the following:

-Maths
-Economics
-Business
-(anything else??)

I'm going to be applying for colleges very soon and am constantly having people share their different views and opinions about what they think i should pick for my A-Levels which is kind of confusing me. Can someone please explain to me and advise me about what i should pick?? ASAP!

if you're up for it, do further maths
Reply 3
Heya!
I have just chosen my A-Levels and I'm taking:
-Maths
-Physics
-Business
-Economics

I'm thinking of going into finance or engineering. I think you should have another facilitating subject as it would keep more options open for you. I'd personally say a science, if you actually enjoy science now or maybe something like a language, history, geography, f.maths, english lang or lit, etc.

I'd recommend you read the Russel Group's guide on choosing your A-Levels as well: http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and-college-in-the-uk/subject-choices-at-school-and-college/

I really hope this helps and feel free to ask any more questions if you have any :smile:
Original post by CaiusMartius
if you're up for it, do further maths

Not necessary at all
Original post by ABZ_786
hey,

-Maths
-Economics
-Business
-(anything else??)

Maths and econ would be good, but you could do accountancy with any a levels. So you can replace business or econ for a subject you enjoy more.
Original post by Dkaurp
Maths, economics and business sound good. Maths for definite. Economics could be good because at uni you may have to do some economics type modules (depends on the course and uni you choose though), so at least you will be familiar with it as I know a lot of people who have never done economics before struggle with it at uni. And I think business, do it if you want, but it wouldn't really matter if you chose something else you're interested in; but again if you definitely want to do accounting, it will probably be good as I'm sure there will be some business type modules too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not necessary, 90% of courses just have a GCSE requirement.
Original post by citibankrec
Not necessary at all

Very very useful if you are applying to top universities. Myth that is only needed for Maths (also a myth that it's near impossible).
Original post by CaiusMartius
Very very useful if you are applying to top universities. Myth that is only needed for Maths (also a myth that it's near impossible).

Apart from LSE, I'd say further maths is unnecessary
Have you looked at an apprenticeship instead? You could jump straight in to earning whilst training on an AAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol did you watch the movie?
You shouldn't do both business and economics as Unis see them as being too similar. Do economics for sure as they see it as a strong subject and business isn't favoured as much

Quick Reply

Latest