Any tips on learning C#

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying c# in my AS year, however the resource that we have been given to learn C# is a serious of videos by this guy called Bob Tabor:
    https://mva.microsoft.com/en-US/trai...QIC_2706218949
    Dont get me wrong these videos are good but the dude gets quite boring quite fast. So I was wondering if any one new any good ways to learn c#

ReputationRep:
    SAME
    Did SSD last year and my useless teacher had us watch good old bob! Frankly thevideos aren’t bad. I wound up failing the exam section first time around,practice really does make perfect. I’d say solve some logic problems usingiteration and selection. I used ProjectEulor or something, which provided somevery difficult mathematical puzzles which I used C# to solve; doing these Ifound helped me grasp programming basics handily enough. Once you have a firmgrasp on the basics, move on to wider projects involving object orientedpractice. Try to understand every section before moving on to the next, becausefew things are more confusing than attempting to work with an ‘array of objects’without knowing what an array, an object or a class is for that matter.Understand what a method is an how it works, I found TutorialsPoint to be helpfulfor this, and once you can rhyme off methods then move on to classes. Last yearwe received a very complex question on our paper that involved a fair amount ofsting manipulation, so I’d spend time learning basic string methods like concatenation,truncation, toUpper, toLower and similar methods.
    The important part, from my own experience at least, isunderstanding what you’re doing, as with code there isn’t any room forhalf-remembering anything. Constant practice will eventually make perfect. Ifyou understand the logic behind the language you’ll be able to pick up other language’smuch easier too (notably Java), so it is worth thoroughly understanding the conceptsrather than just learning every function of C#.
    Have probably just confused you further really,
    TL;DR TutorialsPoint is good to learn and has a compiler onboard if you lack an IDE.
    ��9`�՝�

ReputationRep:
    The only way you will learn is by doing. There's basically 2 types of people. Those that have programming experience and those that don't.

If you don't have any experience get online, read a few tutorials and generally look around to find out about the basic nuances of coding. No matter than language the general things like variables and and structures, iteration (loops) and so on don't change. The syntax is just a little different.

If you do have coding experience skip to this step. Get building. Doesn't matter what you build just build something. Look for random programming exercises if you can't think of anything. Start with basic things like hello world, basic calculation, manipulating variables, using iteration and decision statements and keep adding to everything you find.

Find something that works for you. Look for a good resource that you can enjoy using. Everyone learns differently and at different paces. I suggest things like codecademy but not everyone will learn well with it.

ReputationRep:
    I agree best way is to learn by doing .I had a quick look at his vids they arn't bad but they are literally just demonstrating the features there is not much context to them.

For it to really sink in you got to experience how all those features come together to create software.
    After you watched enough of his videos that you can't bare any more. Have a crack at this and see how far you can get:

1)Write a program that asks the user to enter text then have it write out what they entered.
    2) Change the program so that it asks for the user to enter a password and tells them if they got it right or wrong.
    3) Use a loop to make it keep asking for the password.
    3) Extend the program to give them 3 trys before it stops asking and blocks them. You can do this by combining a loop and an if statement.
    4) Modify it it so that the minimum password length is 5 and make it show an error.
    5) Extend it so that password must contain 1 number.

Don't forget to use google if you get stuck its a vital skill for a programmer! but you should be able to do the above based on his video.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adamanaguchi)
    SAME
    Did SSD last year and my useless teacher had us watch good old bob! Frankly thevideos aren’t bad. I wound up failing the exam section first time around,practice really does make perfect. I’d say solve some logic problems usingiteration and selection. I used ProjectEulor or something, which provided somevery difficult mathematical puzzles which I used C# to solve; doing these Ifound helped me grasp programming basics handily enough. Once you have a firmgrasp on the basics, move on to wider projects involving object orientedpractice. Try to understand every section before moving on to the next, becausefew things are more confusing than attempting to work with an ‘array of objects’without knowing what an array, an object or a class is for that matter.Understand what a method is an how it works, I found TutorialsPoint to be helpfulfor this, and once you can rhyme off methods then move on to classes. Last yearwe received a very complex question on our paper that involved a fair amount ofsting manipulation, so I’d spend time learning basic string methods like concatenation,truncation, toUpper, toLower and similar methods.
    The important part, from my own experience at least, isunderstanding what you’re doing, as with code there isn’t any room forhalf-remembering anything. Constant practice will eventually make perfect. Ifyou understand the logic behind the language you’ll be able to pick up other language’smuch easier too (notably Java), so it is worth thoroughly understanding the conceptsrather than just learning every function of C#.
    Have probably just confused you further really,
    TL;DR TutorialsPoint is good to learn and has a compiler onboard if you lack an IDE.
    ��9`�՝�
    No my friend you have really helped me out thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    The only way you will learn is by doing. There's basically 2 types of people. Those that have programming experience and those that don't.

If you don't have any experience get online, read a few tutorials and generally look around to find out about the basic nuances of coding. No matter than language the general things like variables and and structures, iteration (loops) and so on don't change. The syntax is just a little different.

If you do have coding experience skip to this step. Get building. Doesn't matter what you build just build something. Look for random programming exercises if you can't think of anything. Start with basic things like hello world, basic calculation, manipulating variables, using iteration and decision statements and keep adding to everything you find.

Find something that works for you. Look for a good resource that you can enjoy using. Everyone learns differently and at different paces. I suggest things like codecademy but not everyone will learn well with it.
    Thanks for the advice mate, ill check codeacademy out and look for different coding exercises

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTit)
    I agree best way is to learn by doing .I had a quick look at his vids they arn't bad but they are literally just demonstrating the features there is not much context to them.

For it to really sink in you got to experience how all those features come together to create software.
    After you watched enough of his videos that you can't bare any more. Have a crack at this and see how far you can get:

1)Write a program that asks the user to enter text then have it write out what they entered.
    2) Change the program so that it asks for the user to enter a password and tells them if they got it right or wrong.
    3) Use a loop to make it keep asking for the password.
    3) Extend the program to give them 3 trys before it stops asking and blocks them. You can do this by combining a loop and an if statement.
    4) Modify it it so that the minimum password length is 5 and make it show an error.
    5) Extend it so that password must contain 1 number.

Don't forget to use google if you get stuck its a vital skill for a programmer! but you should be able to do the above based on his video.

I will accept your challenge my friend

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.