German or German and English?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Sorry guys, this is going to be a long one. I've just decided to apply to Saint Andrew's (having not had a chance to visit it - I'll have to go to post application if I get an offer) and I'm a little stuck. Someone recently explained to me the whole "3 subjects in year one and 2-3 in year two before finally going down to honours modules" thing to me, so I'm now stuck which of German and English and German to apply to.

I like English and I want to keep it up, but I'm not that fussed about having it in my degree title, so I could just do it and then not take it to honours. I do however really like the English honours modules. However, English and German is an AAA offer, just German is AAB. I'm applying to Oxford for German (AAA) so if by some miracle I get in then I've wasted a choice by going for German and English at SA because the offers would be the same. However, if I don't get into Oxford and decide to make Saint Andrew's my firm choice I'll be annoyed I left the English out. On the other hand it would be nice if the best I had to get was AAB (for context I'm predicted A*A*A*A but I think that might well be at least one star too many, and I have some anxiety-ish issues so I have to be prepared for exams to go wrong).

My other option (presuming Oxford give me an interview because if they don't this is solved) is to wait until January 11th when I find out whether I've got my offer and then apply knowing whether SA would be more likely to be my firm or insurance if I got an offer. I'm worried places might go though (although admittedly I'm applying for German so it isn't massively high demand). I don't know, what do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    And also, given that you keep three subjects up in the first few years, could I apply to just German and switch to German and English if I get in? Or even after a year or so of being there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CivilAsAnOrange)
    And also, given that you keep three subjects up in the first few years, could I apply to just German and switch to German and English if I get in? Or even after a year or so of being there?
    Yes, as long as you take the required English modules, then you can switch your degree up until the end of second year basically.

Another thing to consider is that if you apply for the joint degree, your application will have to get past two admissions officers (the English one and the German one), rather than just the German admissions officer.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot. Yeah, I'm leaning towards German. That would leave me free to make it German and French rather than German and English if I decided that was what I wanted to do as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CivilAsAnOrange)
    I'm applying to Oxford for German
    Surely the die is already cast? If you have applied to Oxford for German, with a PS that oozes German and doesn't mention English (as would have been sensible), to suddenly apply for a course that is 50% English will not match the PS, and will be an unconvincing application.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.