My housemates are making me miserable

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

Hi I moved in with my housemates in July and since then they are slowly tearing me down.
    My housemates are all excluding me.
    Im an only girl living with 4 guys and its starting to become unbearable,
    Everyday they post about me on a group chat calling me a snake as my boyfriend sometimes comes round the house.,
    They don;t invite me out and walk to uni without me.
    I try making conversation but they laugh it off and ignore me.
    It's got to the point where I don't want to come out out my room because everything i do is "snakey" and "immature"
    I have tried talking to them about this but they won't listen.

I have got to the stage where most nights I am crying and really am getting upset over it as I have no escape from uni/work/home

Any advice would be useful - even a friend would be useful - someone please help me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi I moved in with my housemates in July and since then they are slowly tearing me down.
    Everyday they post about me on a group chat calling me a snake as my boyfriend sometimes comes round the house.,
    It's got to the point where I don't want to come out out my room because everything i do is "snakey" and "immature"

I have got to the stage where most nights I am crying and really am getting upset over it as I have no escape from uni/work/home

Any advice would be useful - even a friend would be useful - someone please help me
    talk to them and if they don't listen can u move to a different place?

Is this university accommodation or soemthing private you organised yourself?
    Is there any reason they call you a snake, that doesnt seem to be enough.

Imo get as many screenshots over an extended period of where they are posying about you behind your back. That is evidence.

You can decide whether its worth talking to them or not. You say that hasnt worked. In which case go to the accommodation office and put yourself down for a transfer. Its really pathetic what they are doing and it must make you feel awful, but they are the ones who sound liek idiots.

You cna also talk to welfare services.

Its unlikely they will change as they will never admit to doing anything wrong. If its pointed out to them then they will just use it against you, hence I think you need to consider moving.

ReputationRep:
    why are u living with 4 guys in the first place especially when u have a bf?/ just move out and find somewhere else to live

ReputationRep:
    leave ur skin in their beds and tell then u cant help were u shed

It's private accommodation and because on my course there aren't many girls.
    I can't move out as the rent is so expensive I doubt anyone would want to take over it.
    One of them is obsessed with me to the point that he resents my boyfriend for being with me and when I called him pathetic for being horrible to him he ran down the street crying because I didn't love him.

ReputationRep:
    Try and stay out of their way. It's sometimes possible to change rooms in private halls so look into this and see if it's an option, you may not need a replacement tenant if you keep paying your rent and just live in a different flat. If you can't move try and rise above them... let them act immature and be pathetic if they want to but keep yourself to yourself, stop making an effort with them and find friends elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Sweetheart you need to put your foot down, living in this way is not acceptable and clearly making your life very miserable, you dont need that with the stresses of uni as well. Arrange a meeting with all of your housemates and explain that your not going to be treated like this anymore and that they are behaving in an unacceptable manner, at least then you are the bigger person, speak to them as though you have to stay professional. If this dosnt solve the problem talk to your uni about the issues and say its affecting your uni life eg your feeling depressed and dont wish to go home; see if the uni can help you in any way.Good luck sweetheart, let us know how you arexx

It's private accommodation and because on my course there aren't many girls.
    I can't move out as the rent is so expensive I doubt anyone would want to take over it.
    One of them is obsessed with me to the point that he resents my boyfriend for being with me and when I called him pathetic for being horrible to him he ran down the street crying because I didn't love him.
    Is it an isolated house or a flat within private halls?

It would seem you cant afford not to attempt to move out.

Theres really not a lot you can do as even a house meeting might have them talking behind your back. It just sounds isolating which in turn makes it miseravle, but its not the LLs fault nor that of the Unis to make them be nice to you.

What you could do when trying to find a replacement is offer a discount for someone to take over and you pay that as the price to escape.

Do try and keep an active life outside the house i.e coursemates, societies etc and just come back to the house to eat and sleep. There is a danger that making yourself paranoid will make it seem much worse.

Post back here and let us know how you are getting on.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.