Turn on thread page Beta

Hello, Id like some advice. Basically, I want to leave university and im coming into my 3nd year of a history degree. I have not really enjoyed it since the start and even more so this past year. I am currently doing resits, but my heart is not really there. I want to leave but if i pass these exams would it be worth just struggling for another year and getting something out of it? I know if i had to repeat year 2 i would quit, but i got 2 A's and a B at A Levels and this was not how i planned it. I desperately want to join the Police and perhaps before then become a Community Police Officer, but the main reason for not leaving Uni is my parents-they would probably disown me. I don't live with them, but this year has been hell as I have been suffering from depression and I dont think i can take any more problems. I know that leaving Uni would be a huge weight of my shoulder but i am bitterly disapointed as to how it has turned out, this wasnt how it was meant to be. Im also applying for a job in organising a new archive centre for a national trust property near me-i still have a passion for history but just not at uni. please help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise1987)
    Hello, Id like some advice. Basically, I want to leave university and im coming into my 3nd year of a history degree. I have not really enjoyed it since the start and even more so this past year. I am currently doing resits, but my heart is not really there. I want to leave but if i pass these exams would it be worth just struggling for another year and getting something out of it? I know if i had to repeat year 2 i would quit, but i got 2 A's and a B at A Levels and this was not how i planned it. I desperately want to join the Police and perhaps before then become a Community Police Officer, but the main reason for not leaving Uni is my parents-they would probably disown me. I don't live with them, but this year has been hell as I have been suffering from depression and I dont think i can take any more problems. I know that leaving Uni would be a huge weight of my shoulder but i am bitterly disapointed as to how it has turned out, this wasnt how it was meant to be. Im also applying for a job in organising a new archive centre for a national trust property near me-i still have a passion for history but just not at uni. please help.
    :hugs: Sorry to hear you feel that way

Have you tried talking to your parents at all? Im sure if you explain to them they would support you, do they know about your depression? Im sure they would only want what was best for you and wouldnt want you to put yourself under any more stress?

If youre not enjoying and you're struggling, could you maybe consider studying part time for your last year, or even deferring (ie taking a break)? Obviously if you're really not happy then no-one would expect you to stay, but perhaps you could stick it out for another year, at least then you will leave with a degree? You could always submit your application to the police in the meantime and see what happens?

I suggest that it might be useful for you to speak to someone at your uni if you can, your personal tutor, or perhaps your student support unit, as most uni's offer support to students who are having a tough time

Obviously you need to do whats best for you, so dont feel forced to do something just because of other people

Hope you manage to sort something out!

ReputationRep:
    What exactly has gone wrong with it? Is it the course, or the social life, or what?

Logically I'd say that a year isn't really that long. If you carry on you might end up with a poor degree that isn't worth much or you might get something useful, along a sense of pride in knowing that you stuck it out, but if you quit you definitely leave with nothing (in an academic sense).

But I quit close to the end of my second year cause I couldn't stand my course anymore and transferred back a year at another uni...So the logical advice isn't always what's best.

ReputationRep:
    Are you living in halls or a house, maybe if you carried on you could move back into halls to ease some stress.

You could still become a community or special police officer, if you want to go into the police having the degree would mean you would jump up the wage scales pretty fast after your year of training (i looked into the police myself)

Have you spoken to your personal tutor (if yours is as rubbish as mine then your course lecturer) about your problems. There are counsellors too at uni, try and make an appointment to see one of them.

If you pass your second year i would say stay after all your thrid year isn't that long and also it is not really a year, so i would hang in there.

Maybe try looking into volunteering in the police you know specials or something to help get you out of your accommodation as it may help your depression.

I think it was dooomed from the start. to cut a long story short, my parents forced to me to live at home and commute. I wanted to go to UEA, never thought of anywhere else but i wanted to have the student life. So I lived at home for a bit and my relationship detoriated with them to an extent that i left home and now live with my supportive fiance. I do not regret living with him i love it, but I really feel like i have missed out and grown old before my time. All my old friends are away at uni so really, i only get a social life when they come back. i have friends here but it is not the same. The course is good, but i always feel like i am treated like an outsider because i dont live near uni (it actually is an hour drive to norwich). i think another reason why im fed up is that i have not done very well and i have always excelled at most things. I think that is perhaps because of a really unsettling couple of years but im much more settled and in some ways id like to start again at uni, because i feel i could focus a lot better. its not the uni ( i like it), its the fact that the last two years have been very unstable and as a result i have got further and further behind. i am feeling more concerned then ever. but thank you for the helpful replies.

ReputationRep:
    From what you say, you've done really well to get this far. There's quite a lot of positive stuff in your last post - you like the uni and the course, and you feel more settled than you did. But you do feel that you've missed out on the "uni experience" that everyone's supposed to have (not as uncommon as you might suppose) and you're understandably discouraged by not doing well in the exams.

You could start again in 2nd year somewhere else, but probably not this year as it's rather late. From a funding point of view, I think (but you'd have to check it out) that you can have a total of 4 years' worth of loans, so you are allowed at least one "false start". If I'm right, then you could do your resits and take a year out to apply through UCAS for a year 2 entry somewhere else, but that doesn't take into account your fiance.

It is hard if you have always done well to find something more challenging than you expected, but in the circumstances it's hardly surprising. It's not lack of interest - or ability - in your chosen subject that's the problem.

How would your fiance feel about you living on campus next year during term time? This could help by giving you time to concentrate on your studies without driving two hours a day, and also give you a chance to develop some friendships with people taking the same courses as you.

ReputationRep:
    i know how u feel about living at home and commutting as i live in doncaster and commutte to sheffield, its hell, i dont have a social life whatsoever, maybe your fianance and you could move closer to uni.

if you like uni and want to start again, think about it seriously you could probably drop into the second year of a similar course maybe criminology with history that way you dont have to start from scratch.

at the end of the day you have to do what makes you feel happy but i would suggest maybe trying to live a little closer if possible and if you still want to do the whole degree thing look into transferring onto the second year somewhere that way you will be starting afresh where grades are considered as its the 2nd and 3rd years that count.

best wishes

ReputationRep:
    You have a few options.
    1. Stick it out, complete the 3rd year with a degree under your belt.
    2. Stay, but move so you can join in the uni action.
    3. Transfer to a different uni (possibly straight into 2nd year)
    4. Suspend your studies and take a year out to think about what you want.
    5. Withdraw from your course with the possibility of starting a new course in the future.

Option 5 will definately affect your funding, and option 3 may affect it (but may not). You need to think about your reasons for leaving and which option is most viable for you. But remember, it's better to have a degree than no degree at all, as it shows commitment, and it's an extra qualification.

I dont want to go to university anywhere else, im settled here and im not 18 anymore-i need to start earning soon and i feel the time of a uni experience has passed. if i was to consider my options it would preferably be at UEA or Norwich City College which does a history degree acredited by UEA. I have thought about this because people who commute like me go there, but its no way near as good as UEA in teaching and reputation.

ReputationRep:
    It seems to be like you already know what you want to do and thats quit uni..I know because I've been in a similar situation. Rather than move away I stayed at a local uni campus which is an offshoot of glasgow uni with a student population of about 100 students most of which were a least ten years older than me...as time went on I began to hate the place but rather than admit it wasn't for me I struggled on but my heart wasn't in it and it showed in my level of work. Things came to head in january after pleading with a tutor who point blank refused to allow me to gain credit for his module as my work was so late. I owned up to my parents and although steaming mad they helped me work it out and shouted at me everytime I came up with an excuse for not continuing with any education including my age, I'm now 22. Now I've gone out on a limb....off to uni hundreds of miles away to do a course that deep down I knew I should always have done and I scared and nervous bout I think it is the best thing I've ever done. Go with you gut instinct.

ReputationRep:
    For a start Louise you should definitely stay at university, please don't throw it away like one of my friends did. If you wanted to drop out it should have been in the first year. You've already done 2 years and I think you should use this time to revise and get yourself back up to scratch, there's still plenty of the summer left for you to do this. You would have wasted two whole years of your life in addition to having to pay back student loans (if you took one out of course) and believe me you would look like a fool. This would show that you are weak and incapable of dealing with your problems. You need to be strong in life and always think that there should be a light at the end of the tunnel. Thousands of people encounter stress at uni and so you are not alone. I can understand that there have been problems or else you wouldn't be depressed. I've been through a period recently where things just weren't going right for me. but now they have started to improve because I took action to rectify these problems. When things go wrong I always stop to think about why, and the truth is that sometimes it's me and sometimes it's other people, but I always know which because I always contemplate on things very carefully. I don't commend the long-term use of anti-depressants either. I know people who are addicted to them and it makes them independant upon them. Take my advice and believe that you'll feel happier in future cos you will.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.