Received my student loan notification letter... Watch

snu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The length of your accommodation depends entirely on how long your accommodation is for. You applied for it, you tell us.

You should get a payment schedule in the next few weeks telling you the amounts that you will be paid and when they will arrive.

If you have £9k coming and you have a job, I don't really see what you're getting stressed out about.
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by snu)

If you have £9k coming and you have a job, I don't really see what you're getting stressed out about.
Yeah but the details in my first post are very ambiguous. That was the details in my official SLC confirmation letter. I don't know if I am getting 9k or whatever.
charliehelyes
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
your getting 9k a year??
snu
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Andy Pipkin)
Yeah but the details in my first post are very ambiguous. That was the details in my official SLC confirmation letter. I don't know if I am getting 9k or whatever.
Looks straightforward to me.
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Rep:
?
(Original post by snu)
Looks straightforward to me.
Not to me. It tells me a total amount I will be getting, then underneath it says that an amount needs to be subtracted. However, they have not given me the final total. What's the point in giving me an initial total then telling me that some has to be taken away without giving me the final total? :rolleyes: The SLC are completely useless.

And the income-assessed part is pretty stupid too. Are you seriously suggesting that they haven't even assessed my income yet? In which case, the total may go down even more soon. :rolleyes:
snu
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Actually now you point it out, the maximum income assessed bit is £1580 for the loan. You'll be getting £6285 in loans + maintenance grants, as it clearly states.

I don't know what the Supplementary Grant thing is all about. Do you have dependent adults/children, or are you entitled to a disabled students allowance?
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Rep:
?
(Original post by snu)
Actually now you point it out, the maximum income assessed bit is £1580 for the loan. You'll be getting £6285 in loans + maintenance grants, as it clearly states.

I don't know what the Supplementary Grant thing is all about. Do you have dependent adults/children, or are you entitled to a disabled students allowance?
I get the Maintenance Grant because I have no money and a low income.

So I will be getting £6285 + the maintenance grant? I think that's about 9k. And then my tutition fees are another 3k (direct to the uni) meaning 36k in debt in 3 years' time! :eek:
snu
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't think that's correct, because the totals would seem to indicate that the maximum loan you'd be getting (ignoring the grant) would be >£7000, which is unpossible. I think you're probably getting £6285 and that's that.

If you're still concerned, I suggest you either:
1. Wait for your payment schedule letter in a few weeks.
2. Phone them.
3. Ask them a question online.

I wouldn't recommend 3 though, they're pretty crap at answering those in my experience.
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Rep:
?
Where are you getting the £6285 from then?

I get it from

BASIC LOAN + [INCOME ASSESSED LOAN - £1230]

If I didn't become eligible for the maintenance grant, then I would get the full income assessed loan without nothing taken away.
snu
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well, BASIC LOAN + INCOME ASSESSED LOAN = £7515, which is not possible. The maximum loan is £6315.
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Rep:
?
(Original post by snu)
Well, BASIC LOAN + INCOME ASSESSED LOAN = £7515, which is not possible. The maximum loan is £6315.
Yeah but the maintenance grant is not a loan; it is a non-repayable ADDITIONAL grant for students who come from a low-income background. It has nothing to do with the loan itself.
snu
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah but the maintenance grant is not a loan; it is a non-repayable ADDITIONAL grant for students who come from a low-income background. It has nothing to do with the loan itself.
I know that, re-read what I said.
Starfish01
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You are getting £9050.

£4735 (Basic Loan) + £2780 (Income Assessment) = £7515
Since you are getting the full Maintenance Grant they subtracted £1230 from £7515 which gives you £6285… then plus the Maintenance Grant £2765 = £9050.
snu
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah, but the maximum loan available to anyone is £6315, so how does £4735 (Basic Loan) + £2780 (Income Assessment) = £7515 work?
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Rep:
?
(Original post by snu)
Yeah, but the maximum loan available to anyone is £6315, so how does £4735 (Basic Loan) + £2780 (Income Assessment) = £7515 work?
Because I am not getting £2780 from income assessment. The letter clearly states that £1200+ will be taken away due to my maintenance grant eligibility.

That leaves a grand total of £6285 of loan, which is less than the maximum.

The maintenance grant is not part of the loan, it is irrevelevant to the loan.
snu
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Because I am not getting £2780 from income assessment. The letter clearly states that £1200+ will be taken away due to my maintenance grant eligibility.
Your first post said:
PLUS LOAN SUBJECT TO INCOME ASSESSMENT: £2780
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Rep:
?
(Original post by snu)
Your first post said:
PLUS LOAN SUBJECT TO INCOME ASSESSMENT: £2780
Yeah but the next line said LESS LOAN...due to grant
snu
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah, but that would mean that if you didn't have a grant you'd be getting more loan than is possible, which doesn't make much sense to me.
Starfish01
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by snu)
Ahh right I got you now, sorry… silly me. I do agree with you… I’m a little confused now to how on earth Andy gets the total of £7515?

Basic loan should be right ((75/100) x 6315 = 4736.25) but the income assessment I don’t get... it’s too much.
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Rep:
?
So what's the point of sending me a letter? :rolleyes: The SLC are useless and incompetent. Why can't they ever state something clearly. :mad:
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should Banksy be put in prison?

Yes (249)
14.47%
No (1472)
85.53%

Watched Threads