Access to get into midwifery

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I started my access course on September this year and I have the most horrible teachers who do nothing than scare us. I just want to leave the course look for work as am finding it really hard to focus with this teachers at their pass grades. I really want the be a midwife but at this point am kindaa giving up. The stress of this course is too much and when a teacher delivers a 30 min lesson and expects you to write some 2pages worth of what she didn't teach its difficult. Am dyslexic and I take time and planning to construct a paragraph. Can someone please tell me any other way to get into midwifery without all this stress I have done a Btec level 2 and have distinction also have my English Gcse and working on math this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binti01)
    I started my access course on September this year and I have the most horrible teachers who do nothing than scare us. I just want to leave the course look for work as am finding it really hard to focus with this teachers at their pass grades. I really want the be a midwife but at this point am kindaa giving up. The stress of this course is too much and when a teacher delivers a 30 min lesson and expects you to write some 2pages worth of what she didn't teach its difficult. Am dyslexic and I take time and planning to construct a paragraph. Can someone please tell me any other way to get into midwifery without all this stress I have done a Btec level 2 and have distinction also have my English Gcse and working on math this year.
    It's difficult to say whether this is due to the course itself or the teachers. If you have concerns about the quality of teaching, you can take them up with the course lead. If you want additional support due to your dyslexia, there should be a disability service or student support service which can help you (e.g. getting extensions).

You would need English and Maths at GCSE - look at the universities you are interested in for the grade requirements. You could do a BTEC level 3 extended diploma or continue with the access course. Always be sure to check the specific requirements of the universities you want to apply to.

I'm a bit reluctant to advise you to drop the access course because often these courses are very good and are a great way of easing you into the learning style of a degree. I know your teacher is asking you to do work that she hasn't taught you directly, but unfortunately you are expected to do this constantly throughout your degree so it is a useful skill to develop.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.