The Student Room Group

Does my average GCSE point score matter?

So, by using the method of A*=8, A=7, B=6 and so on, my average GCSE points score turns out to be 5.9 (1A*, 4As, 1B, 2Cs, 1D, 1E😥), so my question is: does this matter, I've heard that some Universities require a minimum of say 60 etc, is this true? I want to study Law at a relatively good University, Sheffield, Durham etc and aim for AAA at least in my A levels. So will my poor GCSE's and poor average points score hold me back? Anyway, thank you for reading, and for any (possible) replies.

Scroll to see replies

not sure the minimum would be 60 lmao
i've never heard that universities care about point averages but i'm no expert. just focus on your a levels now bc there's nothing you can do about your gcses
Original post by AnonymousEric
So, by using the method of A*=8, A=7, B=6 and so on, my average GCSE points score turns out to be 5.9 (1A*, 4As, 1B, 2Cs, 1D, 1E😥), so my question is: does this matter, I've heard that some Universities require a minimum of say 60 etc, is this true? I want to study Law at a relatively good University, Sheffield, Durham etc and aim for AAA at least in my A levels. So will my poor GCSE's and poor average points score hold me back? Anyway, thank you for reading, and for any (possible) replies.

Did you do your gcses in 2016? Basically, I have started college and I had no idea you even got a gcse point score, but they have kind of judged us on that. I have got a point score of 7.1- which is apparently high so I have been put in the 'more able and talented group'- LOL. So in college you MAY be given more opportunities, but if you SMASH your a levels you will be fine! Only oxbridge really care that much about gcses. So you'll be absolutely fine! Best of luck!x:wink:

Never heard of this. Whatever you got in GCSE's leave that now. Just focus on A-Levels because they are the major factor deciding where you will go.
Original post by lostintrnslation
not sure the minimum would be 60 lmao
i've never heard that universities care about point averages but i'm no expert. just focus on your a levels now bc there's nothing you can do about your gcses

Certainly hope the minimum is not 60 haha. And yeah, I intend to, thanks.

Also, my econ teacher always goes on about one of his best A2 students who is predicted an A*, but only got a 5.4 average gcse score. It IS possible!:smile:
Original post by sunshine774
Did you do your gcses in 2016? Basically, I have started college and I had no idea you even got a gcse point score, but they have kind of judged us on that. I have got a point score of 7.1- which is apparently high so I have been put in the 'more able and talented group'- LOL. So in college you MAY be given more opportunities, but if you SMASH your a levels you will be fine! Only oxbridge really care that much about gcses. So you'll be absolutely fine! Best of luck!x:wink:

Ayee I have exactly 7.1 too!

Yeah I did, and 7.1 is insane, well done! I've heard that Oxford care about GCSE's, but not really Cambridge, so if I get A*AA, perhaps is apply there, unlikely I'd be accepted though haha. Thanks.
Original post by SM6
Never heard of this. Whatever you got in GCSE's leave that now. Just focus on A-Levels because they are the major factor deciding where you will go.

Your right, I guess. Thanks.
Yeah I did, and 7.1 is insane, well done! I've heard that Oxford care about GCSE's, but not really Cambridge, so if I get A*AA, perhaps is apply there, unlikely I'd be accepted though haha. Thanks.

Thanks and yeah same- I really want to apply to cambridge for economics!:smile:
Original post by TheBirdman
Ayee I have exactly 7.1 too!

Nice!:wink: Do you mind me asking what your actual gcse grades are? Just curious...
Your right, I guess. Thanks.

Welcome. :smile:

on the flipside, my average point score is 7.2 and yet i wasn't deemed intelligent enough for the more able group at my college. sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't.
Apparently when adding your score you are meant to double your maths score
nah gcse are pointless, only people that think they worth a thing are art students
Never ever heard of this (just calculated mine as 7.8) but most unis look at a modular basis - i.e. if you're applying for Maths, they don't care if you got a D in French GCSE.
Most Unis won't use a methodical system to give you a point score based on your GCSEs, but they will look at them. They're just looking to see if you have a good amount of high grades, especially in the core subjects.
Nice!:wink: Do you mind me asking what your actual gcse grades are? Just curious...

I got 2 A*, 5 A and 1 B
Reply 18
I had no idea that was even a thing. My GCSE grade point average is 7.1
Original post by TheBirdman
I got 2 A*, 5 A and 1 B

Well done! I got 3A*s, 6As and 2Bs:h:

Quick Reply