Need guidance on studying abroad as well as where I stand with my qualifications.

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Ok so I need some general guidance here, this is something I've been toying with for years, I'm a bit of a wanderer in terms of knowing what to do.

So back story.

Did fairly well at GCSE's, even though I really didnt put any effort in, by that I mean i was a lazy student, very little homework, no revision, but i was happy enough with my grades.

Mathematics - A
    History - A
    Science - A
    Additional Science - A
    Geography - A
    Business and Communications Systems - B
    Religious Studies - B
    English Literature - B
    English Language - C
    French - D
    ICT - Distinction

Then I moved onto my A levels and was crucified for my work ethic.

Predicted B,B,B

A2 - Classics/Ancient History - B
    A2 - Chemistry - C
    A2 - Physics - D

Anyway I ended up applying to a foundation course for Liverpool university but never continued to the full course, I absolutely lost interest in going to university and think that I was really looking more to regain my confidence in my ability, by passing the foundation, which i did in flying colours, i got extremely high marks in mathematics and further maths as well as a high mark in physics.

Anyway, essay continues. I then was accepted to do a QA Software and Development IT apprenticeship as well as being hired by an IT Company as a trainee developer and IT support technician, I did this apprenticeship over the course of a year, passed all exams with a few 100%'s in there and completed 2 years at that company of work.

I then quit to join a start up company that i was approached by, which so far has been extremely fun, I do not regret this at all and have learned so much more.

So long story short im not stupid or anything, ive just lacked major effort in previous education which has led me to being in this situation, im well aware that my A levels are not strong.

However i would love to continue learning and get a degree as its going to open up so many avenues for me, personally and career wise. I've kinda already re-invented myself since leaving education, including fixing my work ethic, and am ready to restart my further education. I am determined to do what it takes to be able to do this in the United States, but I am quite lost as to where i stand, I have no idea what the worth of my experience or QA apprenticeship qualification is to a university.

I'm kind of tempted to have my brother talk to the sixth form that i was in a few years ago and maybe turn some screws to allow them to see my again for advice as I'm a bit lost.

A few more facts, the QA apprenticeship is only level 3, I started the level 4 but left as I was offered an amazing chance at this startup. I'm 22 next month, obviously ill be a late starter but that dosen't personally bother me, I'm not sure how it will affect an application though. Id also prefer to study in or near Los Angeles as I have family there that have already offered me a spare bedroom if i did come and study there, which would negate some cost.

I'd really appreciate ANY advice, please just make it constructive as i'm looking for information to help figure out the path i need to take over the coming months and years.

Kind Regards, Joe

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.